Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

ALL Red collection are translated and scans known!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the odds of making the default format for Pokemon TCG cards "full-art" are? They are terrific looking and I haven't found a person who doesn't appreciate how they look.

Because it's more unnecessary crap for me to collect. A reprint of a Trainer and an ultra rare of a common Pokemon are just an extra, what, $25 for me to spend? No thanks to either. I'm tired of the oversaturation of gimmick rares.
In BW, virtually every box came with both full art cards and had a fair chance of containing the Pikachu (who isn't hard to find online for less than 12 dollars).

Speaking of which, I just had a thought: If they split this edition in half, either the llamaas or N/Fliptini will be forced into the second edition.

Well, it seems like Red Collection isn't that good of a set. Not so many cards are really that good, with only about a few really being playable. Here are some of my opinions on some of them.

Landorus- I think that this card is actually pretty good. His second attack is what'll make him quite viable for play. Being able to hit for 80 and 10 to each player's bench is quite good, and it gets better when played with Machamp Prime. By putting 10 on your bench, you can increase Machamp's Champ Buster to the point of OHKOing anything the opponent has out, just like Donphan. Unlike Donphan, however, Landorus is a basic, so he is much more consistent to play compared to Donphan. Landorus's first attack is also a good way to fuel it. Attach a :fighting: energy one turn, then on that same turn, use something to discard a fighting energy from your hand, like Junk Arm. After that, use the attack to get the discarded fighting energy onto Landorus. The turn after that, attach another energy, and viola, Landorus is ready to attack. Indeed, I think Landorus will see play, just like the other two members of its trio.

Virizion- Virizion seems to be pretty good as a starter only. For one energy, you draw 2 cards. This actually kind of decent at the start of the game. As an attacker, I'd rather use Cobalion instead, as Cobalion has a much better attack compared to the other members of its trio. But again, Virizion is quite decent, and I can imagine people will likely be running as a good drawing starter, much like Cleffa.

Cryoganal- Seems like we now have another anti-Donphan card. Ice Ball, for two energy (a water and a colorless), does 30, but if your opponent has a fighting Pokemon out, then it hits for 70. Being a water, it counters Donphan quite nicely. With this mind, I can imagine people will be running Cryoganal as a teched in Donphan counter in some decks.

Seismitoad and Palpitoad- Seismitoad and Palpitoad look to be one of the more interesting attackers in this set. What makes them interesting is their first attack, Round Song. The attack does 30 times the number of Pokemon you have in play that have Round Song for an attack, that case being that Seismitoad and Palpitoad have it. Seismitoad can use the attack for two energy, while Palpitoad can use it for three energy; both of which are colorless attacks as well. It'll likely make an interesting deck, as if you can get a combination of 4 of the two Pokemon in some way, you could be hitting for 120 damage max most of the time. Their weakness is also pretty good. Grass isn't a common type since there is so many fire decks being played. For sure, I can see the two making one very interesting rogue deck in some way.

X-Transceiver- Well, it seems like a decent card. If you can get heads on a coin flip, you can grab a supporter from your deck. Now that's quite a good card, but the only problem is the flip. Yet, I think it was a good move in making it a flippy card. Just imagine if X-Transceiver didn't require a flip. It would perhaps be one of the most broken cards in the format, being able to easily grab out supporters like crazy. Although flippy, you can still use it with Junk Arm, which is good. I can so far see this card seeing some play, but not that much.

As for the full arts, they all look pretty good, but out all 5, N just stands out. Oh my goodness, I'm in love with the full art for N! It was totally unexpected that they would make a supporter a full art, but the result is just... astounding. N looks so menacing and amazing! Ken Sugimori surely did a great job designing that card.

I'm shocked that Landorus and Kyurem didn't get full arts though. A full art Landorus would complete the genie trio in terms of full arts. As for Kyurem, well, it is kind of disappointing that it didn't get a full art either. Yet, the fact Kyurem didn't get a full art could possibly mean that they could be holding off Kyurem for something much bigger later on. Perhaps Pokemon Gray?

Well, hopefully they'll be full arts through promo cards, although the chance of this happening isn't really high. It is much more likely that they'll get full arts in the 3rd Japanese BW set, especially Kyurem.

I actually did expect Meowth to be the ultra-rare for this set. I mean, it is kind of obvious if you think about the anime. Pikachu being in it is obvious since he is the mascot of Pokemon, and Meowth also appearing in the anime because of Team Rocket makes both Pikachu and Meowth the only non-Unova Pokemon seen in the anime. Therefore, it makes sense to make the two ultra rares for those recent Japanese sets.

Well, it seems like Red Collection isn't that good of a set. Not so many cards are really that good, with only about a few really being playable. Here are some of my opinions on some of them.

Landorus- I think that this card is actually pretty good. His second attack is what'll make him quite viable for play. Being able to hit for 80 and 10 to each player's bench is quite good, and it gets better when played with Machamp Prime. By putting 10 on your bench, you can increase Machamp's Champ Buster to the point of OHKOing anything the opponent has out, just like Donphan. Unlike Donphan, however, Landorus is a basic, so he is much more consistent to play compared to Donphan. Landorus's first attack is also a good way to fuel it. Attach a :fighting: energy one turn, then on that same turn, use something to discard a fighting energy from your hand, like Junk Arm. After that, use the attack to get the discarded fighting energy onto Landorus. The turn after that, attach another energy, and viola, Landorus is ready to attack. Indeed, I think Landorus will see play, just like the other two members of its trio.

Virizion- Virizion seems to be pretty good as a starter only. For one energy, you draw 2 cards. This actually kind of decent at the start of the game. As an attacker, I'd rather use Cobalion instead, as Cobalion has a much better attack compared to the other members of its trio. But again, Virizion is quite decent, and I can imagine people will likely be running as a good drawing starter, much like Cleffa.

Cryoganal- Seems like we now have another anti-Donphan card. Ice Ball, for two energy (a water and a colorless), does 30, but if your opponent has a fighting Pokemon out, then it hits for 70. Being a water, it counters Donphan quite nicely. With this mind, I can imagine people will be running Cryoganal as a teched in Donphan counter in some decks.

Seismitoad and Palpitoad- Seismitoad and Palpitoad look to be one of the more interesting attackers in this set. What makes them interesting is their first attack, Round Song. The attack does 30 times the number of Pokemon you have in play that have Round Song for an attack, that case being that Seismitoad and Palpitoad have it. Seismitoad can use the attack for two energy, while Palpitoad can use it for three energy; both of which are colorless attacks as well. It'll likely make an interesting deck, as if you can get a combination of 4 of the two Pokemon in some way, you could be hitting for 120 damage max most of the time. Their weakness is also pretty good. Grass isn't a common type since there is so many fire decks being played. For sure, I can see the two making one very interesting rogue deck in some way.

X-Transceiver- Well, it seems like a decent card. If you can get heads on a coin flip, you can grab a supporter from your deck. Now that's quite a good card, but the only problem is the flip. Yet, I think it was a good move in making it a flippy card. Just imagine if X-Transceiver didn't require a flip. It would perhaps be one of the most broken cards in the format, being able to easily grab out supporters like crazy. Although flippy, you can still use it with Junk Arm, which is good. I can so far see this card seeing some play, but not that much.

As for the full arts, they all look pretty good, but out all 5, N just stands out. Oh my goodness, I'm in love with the full art for N! It was totally unexpected that they would make a supporter a full art, but the result is just... astounding. N looks so menacing and amazing! Ken Sugimori surely did a great job designing that card.

I'm shocked that Landorus and Kyurem didn't get full arts though. A full art Landorus would complete the genie trio in terms of full arts. As for Kyurem, well, it is kind of disappointing that it didn't get a full art either. Yet, the fact Kyurem didn't get a full art could possibly mean that they could be holding off Kyurem for something much bigger later on. Perhaps Pokemon Gray?

Well, hopefully they'll be full arts through promo cards, although the chance of this happening isn't really high. It is much more likely that they'll get full arts in the 3rd Japanese BW set, especially Kyurem.

I actually did expect Meowth to be the ultra-rare for this set. I mean, it is kind of obvious if you think about the anime. Pikachu being in it is obvious since he is the mascot of Pokemon, and Meowth also appearing in the anime because of Team Rocket makes both Pikachu and Meowth the only non-Unova Pokemon seen in the anime. Therefore, it makes sense to make the two ultra rares for those recent Japanese sets.

Double post? I feel like I read this before.

Double post? I feel like I read this before.

You probably have. This is pretty much my Pokebeach post too. I chose to have it as an almost exact post because it basically sums up my thoughts on the set as a whole, and either way, if this post was re-worded, it would have the same idea.

You probably have. This is pretty much my Pokebeach post too. I chose to have it as an almost exact post because it basically sums up my thoughts on the set as a whole, and either way, if this post was re-worded, it would have the same idea.

Thought it was pokebeach, but too lazy to double check lol.

Wow, full art N is amazing. I can't wait to add that to my collection. I also love Colbalion. Hydreigon, that's #1 on my want list right now once we have a prerelease for this set.
~Cyber~
Posted with Mobile style...

In BW, virtually every box came with both full art cards and had a fair chance of containing the Pikachu (who isn't hard to find online for less than 12 dollars).

Yes, a box would have both Full Arts because there were only two of them in BW. Red Collection alone has five. Considering the pull rate for FAs in BW was 3-4 per box, and we'll probably get all five in BW3 US, I'm thinking it'll be very unlikely to get all five of them in one box. Pikachu's pull rate was one in three boxes so I can only assume Meowth will be as well. With Pikachu it didn't really bother me because I'll never get all of its cards anyway, but I did manage to get my hands on all of Meowth's and now this ultra rare one is going to be too expensive for my tastes.

A self proclaimed "collector" who doesn't like the release of "collectable" cards.

Interesting.

Just because I consider myself a collector, that doesn't mean I'm made of money. I personally don't like spending $10 or more for one card. Which, yes, I understand means that I'm not a very good collector since I don't have hundreds or even thousands to put down for trophy cards. But I've never really set my sights on owning the super rare gimmick cards unless I can score one for a cheap miracle on eBay. Thus, more so-called "collectible" super rare cards just means more cards I probably won't ever get because they're too expensive for my wallet.

So there are ultra rares that are fun to collect and ultra rares that aren't?

And you say it is just more unnecessary crap to collect. Is there any necessary crap?

Where did I ever say or imply the first statement? I don't like any ultra rares for the reasons above. And as for the second question, yes, I consider a super rare reprint of a TRAINER CARD to be highly unnecessary. Having super rare cards with sparkly holofoil of the Legendary/popular Pokemon is just something I'm used to now because the TCG always does it, but a super rare Trainer card is just so eyeroll-inducing to me. Maybe the ultra rare Meowth isn't "unnecessary" per se (even though this whole "non-Unova Pokemon are super rare in the BW TCG!" thing they've had to justify the ultra rare Pikachu and Meowth is going to go out the window with Hail Blizzard/Psycho Boost anyway) but I still would have preferred it not to be such.

I am liking Zekrom + Eviolite if the scanlation is correct. -20 from ALL damage, even self damage, with self damaging attack and rage from a basic pokémon sounds too good to miss in this Yanmega Prime format.

Well its my Eviolite and since Im a trainer, its a Trainer's Eviolite. Anyway, been like that for some time on japanese cards.

But "Trainer's N?"

Am I missing something?
America decided not to use Japan's Trainer system upon the release of BW, even though Japan's makes more sense.

Trainer's Goods = Trainer
Trainer's Support = Supporter

For our BW1 translations we just put "Trainer’s – Goods" underneath Trainer names, but as of the release of this set we know America is just going to do their own thing, so I just put them as Trainers and Supporters for the spoilers.

America decided not to use Japan's Trainer system upon the release of BW, even though Japan's makes more sense.

Trainer's Goods = Trainer
Trainer's Support = Supporter

For our BW1 translations we just put "Trainer’s – Goods" underneath Trainer names, but as of the release of this set we know America is just going to do their own thing, so I just put them as Trainers and Supporters for the spoilers.

Eww, once again the japanese way is better and once again we are screwed. Oh well, nothing major... unlike the super cool new holo borders and FA textures :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back