Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2011-7-30 GS Persian 027

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of the Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal= 49778]2011-7-30 GS Persian 027[/gal]
Posts in CotD will no longer allowed to begin with modifiers such as "First!". It has been added to the FAQ, please read it. Posts of this nature will henceforth be considered off topic, and handled as such.

Last edited:
It's not even Dark type, so why does it need Darkness Energies to deal extra damage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Combined with Victini and Weavile UD, I think this card can do some crazy disruption (If you can evolve to weavile and get 3 heads that might just be an entire hand) and decent damage for 60 considering that if you do get rid of their hand you might just be knocking off basics or stage 1's. I see some potential for play, but it just has to be experimented with.

I wonder if this means TPC also realizes they should have made Persian a Darkness-Type Pokemon once they introduced that Type in the second generation? ;)

Persian is too small at 80 HP, making it easy for most decks to OHKO. Being Colorless does it no real favors: to get the most out of its attacks you'll need to run some form of Darkness Energy (or an alternative like Rainbow Energy) and there is no true Colorless support right now. Fighting Weakness means Donphan Prime can save on the PlusPower, and after some sneak peaks of the next sets cards, might come back to haunt it. No Resistance feels lazy, as always, but probably wouldn't have been much help to this card. The single Energy Retreat is technically good but I have to repeat myself from other reviews: when the HP is so bad it might as well be free.

The first attack is very flippy but can be nice... too bad it is an attack. If it were an Ability (I know, it'd technically have been a Poke-Power due to the card's age), whether once per turn or even a "once-when-played-from-the-hand" effect, it'd be great in the case of the former and replace Weavile (HS: Undaunted 25/90) in the case of the latter. I know some fancy using it with Victini (pending card release), but what is protecting either Pokemon? Victini has just 60 HP (even the spoilers can't have that wrong) and Pokemon Catcher does arrive in BW: Emerging Powers. It also re-flips all the coins of the attack. Pity it affects nothing else: it'd be wonderful to stack all the coin based effects together. Perhaps too wonderful.

While revising this CotD I realized I should run the numbers. When flipping three coins, there are eight possible results. One in eight of them (12.5%) is all "tails", three in eight result in one "heads" with two "tails" (37.5%), three in eight result in two "heads" with one "tails" (37.5), and finally the last results in three "heads" one in eight times again (12.5%). If your method of randomization is truly random each time you flip the likelihood of a result is equal the the percentage of possible results. That is to say each coin has the same probability of getting "heads" or "tails" each time: 50%. The coin isn't any more or less likely to get the opposite result that occurred last time. If you flip enough coins long enough, you expect the results to average out and be approximately 50% heads and 50% tails, but nothing says you can't have a string of 15 heads. What this does mean, though, is that half your results will be unfavorable enough (all or mostly "tails") that it is probably worth risking the re-flip provided by Victini.

Moving onto the none-too-creatively named Sneaky Attack, it is also a case of cool idea, flawed execution. If you don't trigger the effect, it is 30 for :)colorless::colorless:) which would be fine it it were Persians supporting attack and not its only way to do damage. I guess since Persian is a Stage 1 it isn't as bad as I first thought: you'll usually be able to drop an Energy on a Meowth and attack if you need to for a turn, then attach a :dark: Energy the next turn an Evolve, making is :)dark::colorless:) for 60. Of course this means that despite its typing, it isn't really Double Colorless Energy compatible: odds are you wouldn't use the second attack right away unless your opponent's hand were empty, or you were going for the KO. If you absolutely had to drop a Double Colorless Energy or two non-:dark: Energy cards you'll be annoyed that you'll have to invest another Energy to do much good later on. Of course, Persian probably won't survive that long anyway.

It is almost ironic: Meowth has 60 HP, which is almost right for a Basic that can Evolve once more. I'd still prefer a threshold of 70 HP for such cards, but coming up 10 short with only one card invested beats coming up 20 short for two! The attacks aren't great, and if it had a better opening draw move (and perhaps the second attack were a twice as powerful Pay Day for that Price), we might have had a good opener.

I want to like this card, I am a cat person. =^v^= Hand control decks are a horrible thing, though hand disruption can make the game more fun and challenging (but not frustrating). They are on opposite sides of the same, thin line and it is easily crossed. If you did design a hand disruption deck, you're in for a hard fight: you're using the attack on a Stage 1 Pokemon for disruption, not damage. Say you manage to actually obliterate my hand on your second turn between card's like Judge, Weavile, and Persian... now what? If I can get a single solid beatstick out I probably won't turn the entire game around, but I will rack up a KO or two and buy myself enough time to restore my hand. If we still had Team Galactic's Mars, strange as that may sound, I might be more keen on the idea: once you've decimated your opponent's hand, drawing two while randomly discarding one would keep your opponent on the ropes. Of course Team Galactic's Wager would be ideal, if you're any good at Rock-Paper-Scissors. We do have Team Rocket's Trickery, but the way it is worded your opponent chooses the card to discard. The pecking order is "Your Choice > Random Discard > Opponent's Choice" from either player's point of view: the first is the most powerful, the last is the least effective. If you have managed to keep your opponent's hand down to one card, then of course Team Rocket's Trickery and Team Galactic's Mars are equally good. I suppose if your opponent has two equally useful cards, and the usefulness is "okay" at best, again you're fine. If your opponent has a draw card to replenish their hand and a Basic Energy or random unneeded Pokemon, guess what's going to be discarded with Team Rocket's Trickery.

In Unlimited you have access to many better options, even if you want to try something unusual. Limited can be fun for this card: the HP becomes acceptable, the damage good, and hand disruption... well that is still iffy. You might luck out, get at least one "heads" and take down their only Stage 2 they were finally about to play. The thing is, Limited play in my experience tends to have players with low or no hands or huge hands, all depending on how useful of cards are being drawn.

Ratings

Unlimited: 1/10

Modified: 4/10

Limited: 6.5/10

Summary

I consider this close but no cigar: you're taking way to big a risk you can quickly Evolve and hit enough heads to cripple your opponent's offense, because if you don't the odds are good they'll just turn around and crush you with their own attacks.

Last edited:
Because it's cool. :3
Well, not gonna see anyplay, sharpen claw is OK, but Ampipom is better. 3/10

I don't see what's so cool about it. Sharpen Claw: 3 Tails and no discarding from your opponent's hand. With my luck, I'd get 3 Tails.

Weaville is better than this card.

Well well, one of my guilty pleasures. I personally love this card, but only because of the upcoming victini from Emerging Powers or sme other set. The second attack may work well as a back up. Not to bad in my opinion
6/10

I don't see what's so cool about it. Sharpen Claw: 3 Tails and no discarding from your opponent's hand. With my luck, I'd get 3 Tails.

Weaville is better than this card.

I meant it's cool because it's not a dark type, but does extra damage with dark energy.

So I've been playing ambipom weavile for nearly a month now and I'm considering going weavile persian especially after we get victini. Sharpen claws works better with slowkings second sight as well plus the cards get discarded, not shuffled back into the deck. I like it a lot.

7/10 limited
10/10 Persian Weavile. hahah

Today's CotD is Persian from GS...well while I have a bias to Persians because one served me so well at last year's VGC, the card version isn't very good. Statwise 80 HP is a bit low for a Stage 1, x2 Weakness to :fighting: isn't that good, no Resistance is common, and :colorless: to Retreat is cheap. Sharpen Claws is ok for :colorless:, 3 coin flips and each Heads letting randomly discard a random card from your opponent's hand isn't that bad, good for potential disruption. Sneaky Attack is odd; :colorless::colorless: for a base 30 isn't good by itself, but providing Persian has a :dark: Energy on him, it turns into 60. However, that means you can't get a cheap attack for just DCE, and Persian is kinda weak to really run in :dark: decks...just weird. Especially since the notion that Persian are inherently dark is lame, just because Giovanni had one long ago and Meowth evolves into one...

Modified - 2/10 (Not much use for it)
Limited - 7/10 (Not bad, it's splashable and gets better if you run some :dark:)
Unlimited - 1/10 (No use here)

First attack is flippy but can be useful in conjonction with Weavile and TR's trickery, but for this use I prefer Ambipom.
Second attack is weaker than Liepard's for the same cost.
It's HP are bad, and the Fighting Weakness doesn't help.

Modified 3/10 'cause there's better options, and if you do like flips just use Sharpedo
Limited 6/10 'cause it does 60 for 2 if you run Dark energies but it gets the worst weakness in HGSS draft and doesn't exploit the DCE in the same set
Unlimited 1/10 just spam Umbreon star ~

Persian/Weavile/Slowking/Victini/Mr. Mime/Spinarak may as well be the disruption deck you've been hoping for when we get Victini and Catcher. Ambipom is good, yeah, but with Persian, you don't let the random topdeck after Ambi's shuffling attack surprise you. Also, Victini works for dual purposes - giving flips for both Persian's discarding attack as well as stabilizing Sneasel's damage output. Spinarak of course would deal with likes of Cleffa and Manaphy - just use your Weaviles and Mr Mime for always checking and discarding any Switches after they use the "Shuffle your hand and draw X cards" attacks.

I'm kinda liking it, and would think it even over Ambipom when Victini is out.

6/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back