Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A New Location for Worlds 2013?

The Northwest gets the biggest tournament turn-outs of any region in the country, and we have a much smaller population than
most places. I believe this merrits a major championship to come to the NW, whether that is Nationals or Worlds, it doesn't
matter to me, but we should get something. It doesn't hurt that the NW swept the top 2 for Masters this year at worlds, but the
bottom line is attendence.

We frequantly have the biggest turnouts here in Oregon for all the championship series, be it BR's, CC's, States, or Regionals.
The last 3 years, we've been in the top 2 for biggest regionals, and this last year, we had the biggest one. And again, we
are beating places like Southern Cal and Texas who have SO MANY MORE people in their region, yet we are getting more
players.

Plus we have a Pokemon Headquaters in Seattle Washington, and it's not a bad tourest stop, which is a factor in deciding their
Location for worlds. It's also relativally accesable to everyone. We have a good major airport in Seattle, or Portland if they wanted
to hold it there, so it shouldn't cost any more to fly there than that of Indianapolis. (You are still going to have to take a gateway
place like Dallas or Denver, but I have to do that with Indi every time anyway.) I think we deserve one up here.

-Jason
:)dark::colorless:20)

It seems like every year once Worlds has concluded we get the same generic post concerning next years location and all the moaning and groaning about where it's being held. With that said has anyone ever stopped to think about all the planning and preparation that goes in to place well a head of the announcement of where next years Worlds will be held? Any ideas on what it takes to secure a site that far in advance so that plans can be made. Trying to please everyone is not a prerequisite!!! Bedside's that, it would never happen. They could post a poll up on the boards, "Where Should we Hold Worlds Next Year" have everyone vote, and have the highest vote be the Worlds location and you would STILL have complainers.
I understand everyone's concerns with cost and the wanting different locations but the truth of the matter is both locations used over the last 3 years and including (Hawaii 2012) are great locations when you think of family friendly, weather and host Hotel.
The Hilton's used have more then enough room to accommodate such a large Pokemon event and in my opinion are very positive and flexible once we all arrive. They basically understand that it is our Hotel for the weekend. The fact that you can walk out the front doors in San Diego and go get any food your heart desires is nice and easy on those with families. Hawaii although more expensive does give people options if your willing to work at it just a bit. The town of Kona does have grocery stores(Safeway) for picking up food for room as well as reasonable places to eat. Your not restricted to just eat what ever is close by. It's not that long of a ride down in to Kona and you can pick up whatever you need for snacking, sandwiches, water or other adult beverages if needed.
Flight wise, yeah there is a large difference in flying from Texas to San Diego or Florida versus Texas to Hawaii, i understand that part so here's what you do. Start looking now! You already know where it's being held start looking for deals. For those on a budget and who isn't with this crappy economy, start putting whatever you can aside now and save up ahead of time, you have a year to plan for this. And before anyone chimes in about things coming up, i understand that yes the car needs brakes or the washer n dryer need to be replaced but this happens in every day life. We always need to try and set aside a little money for life's unplanned problems.
Thanks for reading, just my thought's on a post that like I said before, always comes up and I just don't get it. I make the most out of every event whether it be a Regional, Nationals or Worlds in Utah, Colorado, Ohio, St.Louis, Indianapolis, California, Florida or Hawaii.

Last edited:
But why Hawaii?

It cant exactly be a walk in the park to move all the stuff there as it would be within continental US, less invited people can attend and less people can try to grind in. I cant see a single redeeming quality other than the "Ive been to Hawaii!!!" bragging rights.

I would love for Worlds to be in Asia or Europe and somehow, I was holding out for 2012 Worlds in London... But as others have said, I would be okay with pretty much any location except Hawaii and other remote, expensive to get to, places. I was planning on travelling a lot during this season to secure a ratings invite but since I wont be going anyway due to money issues (really dont want to shell out over 3000$ for a children's card game tournament), I might as well judge everything this season again.

Please, please, please move somewhere else. I would give anything for one more year of Orlando.

Super Trainer Showdowns in Secaucus, NJ - 2000 and 2001.

Across the river from New York City.

And they were AWESOME!

my two cents

Everyone has an opinion. The Problem with Florida (btw Im a 3rd gen floridian) Orlando is too HOT in August. The event would need to be for example in Jacksonville for the Ocean breeze or Tampa for the Gulf breeze. The two cities have hosted superbowls and other large events they have the hotels and convention centers. Tampa has beaches and fishing and Busch Gardens.

Atlanta has golf courses a great zoo and 6 flags.

There are several areas to choose from on the east coast and the mid west.

I am sure there are several factors to consider we are not aware of.

Enjoy each and every event.

Last edited:
I can't see a large scale worlds ever being held in London. If you think SD or Hawaii are expensive then you are in for a big shock with London.

I'm English, i can get a 90min train to London and have family i can stay with. Worlds in London would be CHEAP (for me)!

I don't want worlds in London. Worlds is fun and exciting and exotic and a REAL highlight. It's what we spend all year dreaming of and it's why we try and earn our invites. It's supposed to be the best weekend of the year! I don't wanna take a 90min train to London, play for 3 days, take a train home and then carry on like normal. I wanna go somewhere exotic and have something to tell my kids about, even if i play in the grinder and get KOed round 1 by a donk.

I'm not rich and Hawaii is not easy to get to. If i'm lucky and VERY frugal from Jan1st all the way through August i will be able to save enough money for flights and accomodation and have the cheapest holiday to Hawaii imaginable.

But you know what? It'll be something to remember!

THIS is why i think Worlds is held in places like San Diego and Hawaii. Not always easybut gosh darn you're remember it :D

I'm English, i can get a 90min train to London and have family i can stay with. Worlds in London would be CHEAP (for me)!

I don't want worlds in London. Worlds is fun and exciting and exotic and a REAL highlight. It's what we spend all year dreaming of and it's why we try and earn our invites. It's supposed to be the best weekend of the year! I don't wanna take a 90min train to London, play for 3 days, take a train home and then carry on like normal. I wanna go somewhere exotic and have something to tell my kids about, even if i play in the grinder and get KOed round 1 by a donk.

I'm not rich and Hawaii is not easy to get to. If i'm lucky and VERY frugal from Jan1st all the way through August i will be able to save enough money for flights and accomodation and have the cheapest holiday to Hawaii imaginable.

But you know what? It'll be something to remember!

THIS is why i think Worlds is held in places like San Diego and Hawaii. Not always easybut gosh darn you're remember it :D

You could probably swap the locations around and come up to some equally true statements for people from San Diego and Hawaii. :wink:

Hello, I live in New York City.

If they put it in NYC im not staying after for the side events...might get shot walking to my car...

Forbes.com has an article listing the top 10 safest cities with a population of 250,000 or higher.

To find out which cities are the safest, we started by making a list of all American cities with a population above 250,000. Then we ranked each city on the number of violent crimes per 100,000 residents in 2009, as reported by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Anyway, here's the list:
10) Glendale, Arizona
9) San Diego, California
8) Anaheim, California
7) Santa Ana, California
6) New York, New York
5) Omaha, Nebraska
4) San Jose, California
3) Honolulu, Hawaii
2) Portland, Oregon
1) Plano, Texas

Keep in mind, this was done about two years ago...so the list may have shifted a little bit, but I have to clear the misconception about NYC being some dangerous hellhole. And hey, according to the list, we were just in an even MORE dangerous place last weekend!

And more:

Now, I get that you people in NY don't know any different, but to the rest of the country, the $7 toll is ridiculous.

I will shock you: New Yorkers know EXACTLY how expensive the city is!

I've known people that have moved from NY to my area and said they made substantially more money in NY than they do here but its so much cheaper to live here, they have substantially more money now.

Yes! Cost of living is higher in some cities than others. I am willing to bet that a place like Los Angeles is similar!

With all of that said, I do NOT want Worlds in New York City. Worlds locations tend to be sunny vacation spots near beaches that aren't overcrowded. Although NYC isn't like sardines in a can, a lot of the major tourist spots are. While I'm sure a lot of people would love to check out everything we have to offer, I'm just not sure Pokemon Worlds at the end of the summer is the way to go about it.

Top 4 US Nats, Top 4 previous Worlds, Top 2 German Nats (their distributor pays for another trip), and first place in some other Nats get the paid trip.

The trip pays for the hotel for 4-5 days, plus the flight. If you are a minor, it also pays for a parent/guardian to fly too.

Looking at the global scale and seeing Worlds will only be in English speaking countries... If they would go somewhere that isnt 1) Hawaii, 2) SoCal, 3) Florida... then that leaves very few likely options:

1) Cairns/Brisbane/Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
2) Singapore

And that's about it, really.... :p

Worlds in New York is actually a good idea aside of the high costs, It's easy to acces.
Not really that big of an issue for Europe players :)P)
What about Amsterdam? Big airport,lots of international trains,nice to visit.
The only problems are that the weather sucks. And some of the places arent really that good for childeren...

The best place for a hypothetical european World championship would obviously be Rome...
Good weather, lot of beaches nearby, good for families and the best city in the world to visit.

Now, let's be serious.
Worlds will never be in Europe... :(

Last edited:
Ok just to prove a small point. NYC cigarettes cost close to $20 dollars a pack. My brand costs me about $5.50-$6 pending on where I go. While I didn't attend Nats this year, I was there last year in Indy. In the inner city, a pack cost me $15. I traveled out of the inner city to the "ghetto" and it cost me the same $5 it did back home. So essentially my point here is, any BIG city that gets worlds is gonna be expensive, because thats how big cities work. I'm pretty sure right outside the NY city limits everything is priced very normally as they would where ever you may come from. Big cities are always pricey.

No dude all of NY is extremely taxed, not just the city. I live here in NY so I know. Its extremely expensive to live here. New York State itself is a huge contradiction.

Contradiction #1 - You have 80% of the wealth in NYC area alone. The rest of the 'upstate' is extremely poor and lacking of things to do, very boring.

Contradiction #2 - Upstate residents pay 100% property taxes on thier homes and pay insurance for cars since driving is a must in Upstate NY, very poor public transportation system. NYC great transportation system so no need to pay for cars or insurance. NYC - Not enough land for personal homes so people pay out their butts for Renting.

So although it would be cheaper to fly to Worlds if it were in NY, you are paying more for hotels and meals. And for the Japanese players isnt Tokyo an exact copy of NYC?

Well, 2010 there were very few players at Worlds, compared to other years. But I think they stuck with Hawaii for next year because of the Japanese players. They didn't get Worlds qualifiers this year because of the earthquake, so TPCi gave them their "favorite location" next year as kind of compensation (that's just what I think why it's in Hawaii again despite all complaints of players and low player numbers). Under other circumstances I couldn't understand why they hold it in Hawaii again, but this is a legit reason imo.

In general, I don't mind if it's east or west coast - as long as it's not in Hawaii, we pay around $1000 for the trip anyway. Personally, I found San Diego a better place than Orlando, but it's also a lot more travel time. Worlds in Europe would be great, with London, Paris and Rome probably beeing the most interesting cities, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

New York... well, I wouldn't mind (and I'm sure New York isn't more expensive than Hawaii), but what's better in New York than in, let's say, Orlando?

the location has always been to satisfy the Japanese for their vacations, since they are the inventors it makes sense, but a little one sided

Back