Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hydreigon

Pokeric

Hydreigon – :dark: – HP150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Zweilous

Ability: Dark Aura
All Energy attached to this Pokemon becomes Darkness Energy.

:dark::dark::dark::dark: Dangerous Blade: 60 damage. Choose 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon, and this attack also does 40 damage to each of those Pokemon (don’t apply Weakness and Resistance when damaging the Bench).

Weakness: :fighting: (x2)
Resistance: :psychic: (-20)
Retreat: :colorless::colorless::colorless:

Does anyone think it could do well? With what combos?

It could do OK only because of a little card called Donphan. It just runs train on this card. But this with AbilityBoar is an obvious combo.

Right now, Hydreigon is a terrible card because of Donphan. One thing it has going is your able to OHKO Mew Primes and deal 40 damage two of their higher HP Pokemon that could potentially be in OHKO range. Only problem with Hydreigon is it's slow, it's a stage 2, and the retreat cost is too high. Although, having 150 HP is helpful since your able to avoid being OHKO from a Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyurem's Outrage (watch out for PP).

Decks that Hydreigon with Electrode Prime could/could not fare against. I won't go into great detail.

Stage 1's= Autoloss (Donphan for x2 Weakness. Zoroark's foul play)

Gothitelle= It depends on who gets the setup first.

PrimeTime= Probably could go either way to be honest. Watch out for Pachirisu.

Reshiboar= Being that Hydreigon is bulky, he has no problem taking on those pesky Reshirams. Watch out for Bad Boar...

ZPST= My guess would be an autoloss because of how fast the ZPST can setup. Although, a crucial N could severly cripple the ZPST when you can eventually get the setup going.

YMCA= Hydreigon has this match in the bag once it has its setup going. Like I said, Hydreigon can easily score OHKO on Mew Primes and snag multiple prizes.

Those are my predictions of how the Hydreigon deck would go down.

Ok saying Donphan makes this not a good card kinda upsets me a little. I'm not using him because it's a stage 2, but it still is a very powerful card, and will see lot's of play. Catcher and Kyurem (the new water rage dragon) are beautiful cards to run with Hydreigon, easily fit and all that jazz. (Probably most playable option)

There is also a new grass type stg2 pokemon on it's way with an ability to prevent weakness to any of your pokemon with energy. That comboing with the return of Exp Share (tool used for moving energy around) means you have a 150hp pokemon, no weakness, and could even heal from Max Potion(full restore?), multisnipes,

It is an amazing card, can abuse DCE and RareCandy, but it's still a stage 2 with 4 energy needed to attack. It's going to suffer a bit.

Donphan is aight, kyruem whomps it, using it's own attack against it and hitting it for weakness. Donphan will slip in playability but Hydregion is still gonna be tier two. it's attack is too much and it's reatreat is a problem, especially if you pair it with boar, which imo is the best energy accel for it at the moment.

I see Donphan declining in importance post-NV, thanks to Kyurem, Vanilluxe, and to some extent Cryogonal.

I can see Hydreigon working well with Shaymin and an Energy accelerator like Pachi, Floatzel or Eelektrik. DCE would be a must. Ability Emboar (with a Badboar tech to deal with Donphan/Zoroark) could be used, but then you run into the problem of setting up 2 Stage 2's at once.

The only other cards I would suggest would be snipers like Yanmega Prime or spreaders like Kyurem.

- Croatian (putting all three heads together on this one) Nidoking

For the most part, I agree with Chompy, save for the card-breaking status of Donphan. It's evident that Hydreigon seems pretty slow, but I think that the major advantage the deck has is the fact that he can only run with another Pokemon: he needs acceleration, and I think that Emboar in this format can be pretty good for Hydreigon. Considering the huge number of Donphan-viable counters coming out, I don't see why 1-2 techs can't be run to give him a fighting chance. Granted, it won't make the matchup a cakewalk, but I don't think he folds entirely to Donphan if it's built carefully.
Posted with Mobile style...

Emboar (Inferno Fandango) isn't bad for accelerating Hydreigon on energies but what about Electrode Prime despite that regardless you're going to be behind on prizes to utilize a Twins engine for running Hydreigon itself?

Electrode is alot faster being a Stage 1 and If you're short on attaching energies just slap a DCE on Hydreigon and you'll be spreading damage like crazy. Heck maybe throw in a
2-1-2 Ampharos Prime line just to make them pay for attaching energies on Pokemon that you snipe for 40.

lemme get off the topic of energy accel for a bit and say this, hydregion attacks for 4 energy, a major set up, and zoroark laughs at it as a stage one for one energy.... you two shot a zoroark and it devastates your field in those two.

---------- Post added 10/28/2011 at 12:28 AM ----------

Emboar (Inferno Fandango) isn't bad for accelerating Hydreigon on energies but what about Electrode Prime despite that regardless you're going to be behind on prizes to utilize a Twins engine for running Hydreigon itself?

Electrode is alot faster being a Stage 1 and If you're short on attaching energies just slap a DCE on Hydreigon and you'll be spreading damage like crazy. Heck maybe throw in a
2-1-2 Ampharos Prime line just to make them pay for attaching energies on Pokemon that you snipe for 40.

i like where you're goin with this but i should stop you before you get there. an energy hog for an attacker, two 4 retreat cost 'mon, and now you want to introduce another stage two?????

lemme get off the topic of energy accel for a bit and say this, hydregion attacks for 4 energy, a major set up, and zoroark laughs at it as a stage one for one energy.... you two shot a zoroark and it devastates your field in those two.

I don't think it's that bad, considering who or how you accelerate. The strategy for Hydreigon will likely be to hold off evolving until you can attach energy onto him because of the costly nature of his setup.

The thing about Hydriegon is that it can assimilate a lot of different energy acceleration, if Donphan's a big problem, then it can adopt Floatzel/Feraligatr and have Kyurem as a back-up attacker, if you want speed then the obvious one is Pachi/Shaymin. Then there's always Emboar and Typhlosion to consider with Ninetails support, as well as Electrode, and Unown Dark. Hydriegon's biggest pro is that it can play any other type as a potential tech since it's energy cost is negligible.

Of course that's not to say it won't have it's problems, but it warrants some testing since it boasts the second highest consistent net damage in the game at the moment, at 140 damage, right behind Kyurem at 180 (with full bench)

I think this card will be underrated. I have already generated a list just focusin just on it without any acceleration. Its not bad

im a fan of Hydreigon/Emboar/Jirachi. spread damage with hydreigon, scoop up hydreigon then attach all those fire to jirachi and devolve there entire board for a potential 6 prize sweep. ive done it once over about 20 games but it was fun.
Posted with Mobile style...

We dont know if Donphan is still popular in HS-NV. I mean there are good water type cards which counters donphan hard and basic cards are getting a push with eviolite (tornadus).
If you play Donphan you probably have a pretty good matchup against a card we dont know if it becomes popular and a Tier1-Tier3 card but you have a bad matchup against cards like yanmega and tornadus which will be played in my opinion. If some NV water cards become popular (seismitoad, kyurem vaniluxe etc) then donphan will get more bad matchups.

However there are some fighting pokemon which will be played in some decks (terrakion and landorus). Probably some1 will find a good conkeldurr list which counters hydreigon hard

Back