Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Standard and Expanded Format Legal Card List Discussion

A few things...

1. Can we change the name of this thread to "2011-2012 Modified Format Legal Card List"?

2. Are any DP Promos still legal? (There should be a reference to DP Promos in the first post)

3. What about the McDonald's promos?

Thanks.

2.No The only promos you can use are HGSS01+ and BW001+
3.I Think They Are Legal

So it is HGSS and up as legal sets ..I just have one question left then that i know you have answered but i am just double checking..

I can use basic energies from any of the old sets i have some from starters..any of theses energy cards are legal... they are all basic

There should still be a reference to DP Promos on the first page.

(Every other promo set is listed. DP Promos should be as well if, for no other reason, completeness.)

There should still be a reference to DP Promos on the first page.

(Every other promo set is listed. DP Promos should be as well if, for no other reason, completeness.)

There is no set named "DP Promos".
They are a subset of the PUI Blackstar Promos.
Since none of them are legal, none of them are mentioned.
If one was legal, it would be listed in that section.

How about adding them as a subset of PUI Blackstar Promos, just like HGSS and BW are specifically called out as subsets of PUI Blackstar Promos in the first post?

In the Researching Tower there are 3 sets of recent promos: Nintendo Black Star Promos (NP), DP Promos (NDP), and HGSS Promos (HSP).

The three sets of cards have different numbering schemes.

Nintendo Black Star Promos (NP) are numbered 001 - 040.
DP Promos (NDP) are numbered DP01 - DP56.
HGSS Promos (HSP)are numbered HGSS01 - HGSS25.

It just seems like they're treated different sets of Promos. Or subsets. That works.

(FWIW, BW Promos have yet to be added to the Researching Tower.)

Updated with Noble Victories.
Only Super Rod has been added as a reprinted card from older sets and note that it requires a reference since the text is completely different.

The term errata always confuses me... What exactly is an errata and why is no reference needed for such a major text change such as older great ball to newer great ball?

From Dictionary.com :

Errata - a list of errors and their corrections inserted, usually on a separate page or slip of paper, in a book or other publication; corrigenda.

In this case, a card has incorrect text, usually due to a translation error. Pokemon needs to correct the error. It is not feasible to retrieve each and every copy of the card and reissue them with that corrected text. So they issue a statement saying, in effect; "This card has incorrect text. Here is the text as printed and here is the correct text. Treat this card as if it has the correct text going forward".

All players and staff are responsible for being aware of errata.
Team Compendium makes this relatively easy for players by collecting ALL Pokemon errata in one place for you, in the errata section of the Compendium. Many errata never see corrected versions in print. Great Ball is an exception in that regard. However, the errata still exists and so players are responsible for being aware of it.

energy restore

EX: Ruby and Sapphire
Energy Restore 81/109 Uncommon

This card name is not listed in the researching tower

Can I still use it without reference?

EX: Ruby and Sapphire
Energy Restore 81/109 Uncommon

This card name is not listed in the researching tower

Can I still use it without reference?

No, that was left on the list in error.
It was legal in last year's format and I missed removing it.
It has been removed now.
Thanks for the catch.

The attachment on your first post with the full page of set symbols is very much appreciated, and so very helpful! We hand them out to our new league members to help them in their purchase and deck building endeavors. Is there any way that we can get a new one with the current rotation and sets? I know it is time consuming, but to whoever puts that together, a big THANK YOU! :)

Updating the legal card list.
Some oddities:
Old Pokemon Center cards are NOT legal to use because they are so different.
Old EXP.ALL cards ARE legal to use (with reference) and are now considered to be named EXP.Share

Old EXP.ALL cards ARE legal to use (with reference) and are now considered to be named EXP.Share

I think that's a first on both accounts. That's the first time a TSSE with the same name as a new TSSE was deemed "illegal" even given a massive text change. And that's the first time ANY card has had an official name change. Both decisions seem a little... odd...

I think that's a first on both accounts. That's the first time a TSSE with the same name as a new TSSE was deemed "illegal" even given a massive text change. And that's the first time ANY card has had an official name change. Both decisions seem a little... odd...

Updating the legal card list.
Some oddities:

That's a bummer... :/

EXP.All and Exp.Share have the same name in Japan apparently, but I'm surprised that Pokemon Center isn't allowed considering they don't have a noticeable difference in their name.

Back