Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Strategy against Mewtwo...if you don't have one

Ok, a suggestion that is actually already in the deck, and a point or two besides.

Firstly, powering a zekrom ex quickly can give you the ability to go toe to toe with Mewtwo.An attack with thundurus/Zekrom first can make it much easier to two shot a Mewtwo. Sadly, there is nothing RELIABLE that can fit in this deck easily to 1hko Mewtwo other than a clone mewtwo.

Second, drop the shaymin for either a switch or another thundurus. You are better off using switch/retreat to get the energy where it needs to be. If you have a healthy switch count, then drop it for another thundurus. It's the best starter your deck can have.I see no point in not running 2.

Lastly, I'm not sold on the cleffa thing. If ur running 8-10 draw support and 1-2 pokegear(like most decks should be) then cleffa is just one more donkable Pokemon. You already have free retreat from the tynamos. Without a list though, I can't say what to plug in instead.
Posted with Mobile style...

Personally, I don't think Zekeel is a great deck. I know it works great and could win but in my mind, a great deck has to have an advantage over every deck. I'd invite a Zekeel player to play against a GOOD player with a Truth varient and see how much trouble they have.

There is no such thing.

Magnezone > Truth

CMT> Magnezone

tyRam > CMT

Zeels > tyRam

It really just goes on and on.

Play something consistent and pray that you do not hit a ton of your bad match ups.

So if a deck has a bad matchup, you don't play it?

Please tell me, what deck DO you play? I wish I knew a deck that had no bad matchups...

Obviously they're playing GG.

Really though if you want to beat a Mewtwo (unless it's CMT) don't make it an appealing option for them, keep low energy count on your Pokemon and always keep a space open on your bench to psych out your opponent into thinking you might end up playing it. Most players don't play Mewtwo EX until they need it out of fear that the opponent will counter kill it with their own, so use that to your advantage. Other than that my best advice is to try an out play your opponent from there.

Reshiboard ex with RDL. Take 3 cheap prizes on celebies or tornadus and then play RDL and take 3 more prizes in 1 shot . If they don't play tornadus you can easily win.

For a deck that can make use of Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND, this really looks like a solid strategy (at least on paper - I haven't tested it). Due to Type Matching, Ozone buster will OHKO Mewtwo EX. I've been trying to encourage people to run it in our Pokemon EX dominated format, because even if it is only in a fraction of decks, this is a natural deterrent to relying purely on Pokemon EX: with the effect of Space Virus, (and fact we are talking Energy accelerating decks anyway), on the Pokemon EX Ozone Buster won't OHKO just need any decent attacker to hit once before. You'll trade three-Prizes for three-Prizes, but you know you aren't relying on Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND.

Your opponent can't be sure you don't have a second copy (or can reclaim and re-use the first) and that is terrifying if you were planning on using Pokemon EX muscle for the win. Even if you're late and had to KO one or two Mewtwo EX before hand, hey Ozone Buster something small and win. XD Prize counting is becoming serious business like is should be.

Dragon Blast Sigilyph. Unaffected by damage from EXs? Attack that does 50 + 10 for each energy on the defending Pokémon for Psychic and DCE (or Psychic+any with Gardevoir)? Yeah, this thing was made to counter it.

Dragon Blast Sigilyph. Unaffected by damage from EXs? Attack that does 50 + 10 for each energy on the defending Pokémon for Psychic and DCE (or Psychic+any with Gardevoir)? Yeah, this thing was made to counter it.

That's two turns worth of attaching, and Mewtwo isn't played alone, so it isn't that good of a counter.

Back