Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

National Championship Travel Tips and Tricks

keniselvis

Hey Gym! Need your help!

I moved from Kansas to Ohio and am not gonna be able to make it to the Ohio State Championships. However, we are only 5 hours from Indy so I'd love to take my son to the Nationals. But I have lots o questions. Maybe you can help!

The event is Friday through Sunday, June 29-July 1. And pre-registration is on Thursday.

So here are my first questions:

• Is it safe to arrive Thursday afternoon and still get registered or do I need to get there Wed so I can get there first thing Thursday morning?
  • What does the tournament schedule usually look like? Play Friday and Saturday...Finals on Sunday?
  • Anyone stayed in Indy before? How about a decent but cheap hotel within walking distance to the ICC?
  • What are some of the side events that they usually do?
  • If I want to sell my bulk commons and uncommons, I think there are vendors who will buy them there, right?
  • If I suck, am I gonna be out of the tournament on Friday?
  • What time does it usually end on Sunday?
  • What other stuff would be good to know?

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I'd love to meet some of you and put a face/real name to a username!

Ken

We've loved our trips to Indy the past 2 years.

Here's some advice we've learned - traveling with 2 kids (6 and 10).
  • You're FINE to come in Thursday afternoon. The first year, we lined up at 4:30 (the start of registration time) and waited for 30-45 minutes before we got done. Last year, we showed up at 5:30 or so and waited only 10 minutes in line. There's a rush at the beginning, but these guys have been doing this for several years and have the drill down pat.
  • Yes, there are usually 2 vendors buying bulk cards - Troll and Toad and Collector's Cache
  • Swiss Round go through Friday and into Saturday, so keep playing - it's lots of fun. Top cut starts Saturday and finishes on Sunday.
  • There are several fun events which change throughout the day, keep your eyes peeled and you'll find what looks fun to you.
  • Be sure to have a meeting place between rounds. They do their best to start everyone at the same time, but after that rounds get a little uneven. Plus, there's always the chance someone will have a short (or long) game which will limit your time to meet up. Last year, we had our kids go to the kids art area between rounds. They had something to do if we got caught up in a long round, and the spare table space is a little limited unless you have someone who can camp out through the whole tournament. Alternately, they have lots of stand up images of various Pokemon - pick your favorite and gather there after each round. Lunches do overlap, but again you can get rushed depending on who finishes last.
  • Something I wish I'd done last year - for me or the kids - grab a Sharpie (or 8) and have your opponent's each round sign your tournament T-Shirt or autograph book. You're bound to meet folks from all over and it's cool to look back and remember them.

Have a great time.

that is awesome! GREAT stuff! Thank you so much for that help!

The tournament T-shirt/autograph book, is that something you purchased or was it free swag? either way that is a GREAT idea!

The t-shirt was a gift for entry - I assume this is an always thing - but last year did not have the date of the tournament. So "customizing" it would have made it more unique... Of course, no one knows what there will be this year (except the folks that can't tell us) until we get there.

My Responses are below in RED

Hey Gym! Need your help!

I moved from Kansas to Ohio and am not gonna be able to make it to the Ohio State Championships. However, we are only 5 hours from Indy so I'd love to take my son to the Nationals. But I have lots o questions. Maybe you can help!

The event is Friday through Sunday, June 29-July 1. And pre-registration is on Thursday.

• Is it safe to arrive Thursday afternoon and still get registered or do I need to get there Wed so I can get there first thing Thursday morning?

Registration has traditionally taken place on Thursday late afternoon/evening. If you arrive on Thursday morning/early afternoon you should be ok.
  • What does the tournament schedule usually look like? Play Friday and Saturday...Finals on Sunday?

Registration on Thursday. Most of the Swiss rounds on Friday. The rest of the Swiss rounds and up to the top 16 cut on Saturday. Top 16 through Finals on Sunday
  • Anyone stayed in Indy before? How about a decent but cheap hotel within walking distance to the ICC?

The ICC is right in the middle of Downtown. So no cheap hotels within walking distance. So your options are: A- stay at a cheap hotel and drive to the ICC every morning and pay for parking or B- Stay are a big more expensive hotel within walking distance. I prefer B has your mornings will be less stressful.

Modified Tournaments, 8-Man Pick-up single elimination tournaments. Sealed and pass draft tournaments, casual league play.
  • If I want to sell my bulk commons and uncommons, I think there are vendors who will buy them there, right?

There normally is.

No, because the rest of Swiss rounds are the next day. A good number of players drop after 3 or 4 losses though because they know they can't make top cut. They do other things around Indy or hit up the side events

4-5pm

There is a mall w/ food court connected to the ICC via sky bridge. Most of the surrounding hotels, the mall, and the ICC are all connected through these bridges.

There is a 24 hour Steak & Shake located right up the street from the ICC. For that late night you are up and can't sleep... 2AM-4AM is Happy Hour, Half Price all Milkshakes and Beverages (Excluding Red Bull)

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I'd love to meet some of you and put a face/real name to a username!

Ken

Hey Gym! Need your help!

You're good on Thursday, doesn't really matter. Check the schedule on the Pokemon website (reprinted on the Front Page here)
    Priceline is your best friend. There aren't really any cheap hotels in the area. If you find anything under $90, you're doing good.
    Generally, there are running 8-man single elimination tournaments (free). There's also usually a Draft or two on Sunday. And the Gym staff usually makes up a Mutant Madness tournament on Friday or Saturday night. Plus whatever anybody else wants to get started, they're somewhat lenient on what players want to get done.
    Usually.
    Everybody plays through Saturday, at the very least. The first cut isn't until Saturday afternoon.
    4pm at the latest. And generally earlier than that.

Don't expect anything other than a good time. If you're going to win, you're not doing it right. Only Pooka has earned that right to expect greatness year in and year out cuz he always does it. For the rest of us, it's just an amazing weekend of silliness and stupidity that you'll never get anywhere else.

Ken

BTW, you've been in Ohio and never been to Nationals? That's basically your backyard, bro!

Is it safe to arrive Thursday afternoon and still get registered or do I need to get there Wed so I can get there first thing Thursday morning?
I went straight to get pre-registered and then went to get a hotel.

What does the tournament schedule usually look like? Play Friday and Saturday...Finals on Sunday?

I am not sure but I think so.
Anyone stayed in Indy before? How about a decent but cheap hotel within walking distance to the ICC?
What are some of the side events that they usually do?

I have stayed there. There is a really good hotel which is like a resort. They had some bug world FIFA Soccer cup there when we were there. A god friend of mine, Ness, did a Japanese booster draft. There is also a league there.
If I want to sell my bulk commons and uncommons, I think there are vendors who will buy them there, right?

Troll and toad and Collectors Cache should be there.
If I suck, am I gonna be out of the tournament on Friday?

It is your choice if you want to drop or not.
What time does it usually end on Sunday?

Whenever you want to leave is when it ends. lol
What other stuff would be good to know?

All the people are really nice there.

OH, I thought you said from Ohio to Kansas. Sry, Ihasastupid...

Is it safe to arrive Thursday afternoon and still get registered or do I need to get there Wed so I can get there first thing Thursday morning?

Registering any time on Thursday has (in the past) been fine. My group typically arrives around dinner time.

However, this is the first time in Indy they've set a registration limit. That may change things a bit. You might want to shoot for arriving earlier in the afternoon.

What does the tournament schedule usually look like? Play Friday and Saturday...Finals on Sunday?

Friday: First half (approximate) of Swiss rounds
Saturday: Remainder of Swiss, play top cut down to 16
Sunday: Top 16 to completion

Anyone stayed in Indy before? How about a decent but cheap hotel within walking distance to the ICC?

It's still a major downtown area, so "cheap" is not really something you're going to see (depending on your definition). That said, Indy is a lot cheaper than some other downtown areas. Rooms start around $120 a night. A good thing to do is find a suite for 4-6 people (which should be in the $150-200 a night range) and split the cost.

If you're willing to roll the dice on something like Priceline, you can occasionally snag some insane deals. I recall a year or two back, people were landing four-star rooms for $60 a night.

What are some of the side events that they usually do?

League and open play runs virtually the entire time the hall is in operation.
They do 8-man runner tournaments as long as people are lining up for them.
There are some larger side tournaments as well once the main event field thins down.
Sometimes people will do their own unofficial tournaments (like the 'Gym's mutant sealed event).

If I want to sell my bulk commons and uncommons, I think there are vendors who will buy them there, right?

Yes. The last two years Collector's Cache and Troll & Toad have been prominent.

If I suck, am I gonna be out of the tournament on Friday?

It's a Swiss tournament, so technically you're never out until the cut :)
That said, once you hit three or four losses, you can be pretty assured you won't be moving into the final rounds.

What time does it usually end on Sunday?

They try to wrap things up by 4pm.

What other stuff would be good to know?

Know where the good nearby eats are so you're not shelling $10 for a slice of crappy nuked pizza inside the convention hall. Circle Center Mall is two blocks east and reachable via skywalk, and has a good food court. Lots of good places on the streets nearby as well (the Steak & Shake has already been mentioned; the legendary St. Elmo Steak House on Illinois St., if you can afford it).

Where is the event being held? And what hotel is hosting the Pokemon players at a special "block" rate? I'd like to reserve my room now please.

It was the JW Marriott. There are two Marriotts within 3 blocks of each other. The players stayed at the JW Marriott on the West side of the area.

Host hotel is not the JW this year though...not at liberty to say but it is on the other side of convention center closer to the play area.

When will the "host hotel" be announced? By the time it is announced, all the rooms will be gone. Why is it a secret when everybody knows the date, time, and location of the event already?

Back