Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Terrakion Counters

The deck that I am using currently is having trouble with Terrakion deck variants out there. It uses Terrakion, Gigas EX and Mewtwo EX to attack, and with Gigas being OHKOd by Terrakion easily, and only 2 Mewtwos, Terrakion decks always seem to defeat me. Is there anything I can fit in one or two copies of to be able to beat these decks? Type is not an issue, as I already run rainbows and prisms aplenty.

1-2 copy/copies of Virizion EP should fix it.
It hits Terrakion for weakness and heals the amount of damage he did with Giga Drain, which would be 60.
2nd attack kills Terrakion with one hit.

But I think some Tornadus EP fit in better, since you can use them in other Match-ups and Terrakion needs 3 hits to KO it with Eviolite.

I thought about both of those, but doesn't viizion get KO'd in 2 turns, even with Giga Drain? Tornadus is still a possibility, but I think I'll keep looking, in case there is something better. Any thoughts about Shaymin-EX? It is resistant to Terrakion/Landorus, and after the other guy KOs a gigas, Shaymin can OHKO anything they have. Unfortunately, it does give away 2 prizes.

That is right, but with Eviolite, it can take 4 hits until it is KOed.
Shaymin is nice, but suppose they play Landorus.
Shaymin would have to appear after 3 prizes were taken, but then it is great.
You could play Shaymin, but besides something other.

(Possibly) Giving up two prizes when you're already down in prizes isn't going to be the best. If you can bring it out for the last one or two prizes, then Shaymin-EX may be worthwhile, but I still wouldn't run more than one for that purpose.

It does take two hits for Virizon to kick the bucket, but that's only if you're not healing with GD, or just straight up knocking them out with it's second attack. Either way, if it were to go down, it's still a one to one-three prize trade-off in your favor as opposed to the (maybe) two prize to two prize trade-off you secure with Shaymin-EX.

Ultimately, Tornadus is a better attacker overall, with the downside in the Terrakion match-up requiring a 2HKO front. But, it's more versatile with most any other macth-up, while still providing effective counter-measures to keep Mewtwo and Gigas powered for later game KOs.
Posted with Mobile style...

It's less effective in moving the energy, yes. But, what's th strategy behind playing all special energy in a deck that's (mostly) colorless, especially with JA combo'd with Lost Remover?

Rather, if you're running a Prisim/DCE/Rainbow combo, then all it takes is one or a few Lost Removers to shut your game completely off when your attacks are so high cost.

all are special because of the added effects of each energy. DCE lets Mewtwo and Gigas be powered up much faster, Rainbow Energy is usable for Terrakion (originally there was Shaymin-EX as well) as well as putting damage counters on Regigigas for his second attack, prism works to fuel Terrakion (and at one time other Pokemon), as well as the rare psystrike, and Rescue Energy eliminates the need for revives and such, as they send the KO'd Pokemon back to the hand. There are 4 of each. what would you suggest I exchange any for? Also, the energy moving requirement for hurricane can be harmful, as you may need to use it multiple times against some decks, while not desiring to attack with other Pokemon.

Crobat Prime is the counter for everything.
I guess to save space, Mew+Crobat. Though that takes away from your main strategy.
ShayminEX, Virizion are good bets too.

Shaymin EX is too undependable, from my few games of testing. Right now I'm trying out Tornadus. He seems to be doing well. Also, I added a Cobalion for the occasional Kyurem-EX that destroys me mercilessly without.

all are special because of the added effects of each energy. DCE lets Mewtwo and Gigas be powered up much faster, Rainbow Energy is usable for Terrakion (originally there was Shaymin-EX as well) as well as putting damage counters on Regigigas for his second attack, prism works to fuel Terrakion (and at one time other Pokemon), as well as the rare psystrike, and Rescue Energy eliminates the need for revives and such, as they send the KO'd Pokemon back to the hand. There are 4 of each. what would you suggest I exchange any for? Also, the energy moving requirement for hurricane can be harmful, as you may need to use it multiple times against some decks, while not desiring to attack with other Pokemon.

If attacking with Tornadus is that critical, then have a benched one ready to go/receiving the energy movement to not waste the attachments/set-up if the active one is KO'd.

I'd eliminate the rainbow for fighting energy for this purpose, since it's usable on Terrakion and Tornadus. You'd still have Prisim, and perhaps a tech'd Special Metal for the Cobalion addition.

If attacking with Tornadus is that critical, then have a benched one ready to go/receiving the energy movement to not waste the attachments/set-up if the active one is KO'd.

I'd eliminate the rainbow for fighting energy for this purpose, since it's usable on Terrakion and Tornadus. You'd still have Prisim, and perhaps a tech'd Special Metal for the Cobalion addition.

Tornadus is not a key factor, it just gives an alternate attacker that is resistant to fighting while being easy to charge up and not giving up 2 prizes at defeat. It is extremely helpful against terrakion, however, which I suppose makes it invaluable, as that 1 deck destroys me easily.

so you recommend

-4 Rainbow

+3 fighting
+1 special metal

correct?

Correct, unless you have something else that can go for the metal. Do you only run 12 energy in the build, then? How has that worked for the heavier-costing-hitters, such as Gigas?

Back