Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

So you want to play in UK Nationals....

NoPoke

• You've been practicing
  • You've got your deck
  • You've played in lots of tournaments

They why won't you sign in to your pokemon.com account? Its the only way to opt in to Play! Points and you have to be opted in or you won't be on the list of eligible players. There is plenty of time before nationals and it isn't hard to log in to the pokemon.com website. But as many active players haven't logged in to the pokemon.com site in over two years maybe three months warning just isn't going to be enough :(

Lots of you already have enough events to have 10 or more Play! Points, and after the regionals are over I'm sure it will be most of you, but without the Opt-In they don't show up so please log in and check to make sure that you are opted in to play points.

[edit this post http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2194673&postcount=48 explains why POP were forced to do a mass opt-out of those that had not bothered to log in and agree to the terms and conditions for participation in the Play! programme]

List of Seniors and Masters with 10 or more Play! Points http://www.squiggle12.talktalk.net/ If you are not on the list then get registered and check that all your participation is correct. Which means bug the League and TO that has not entered you. If they say they have then ask what Player ID they used.

The ten play points isn't absolute but will need a strong case for an exception to be made such as severe illness/disability or military service.

Last edited:
Just started a big campaign to get the Dutch and Belgian players also signed up with a My Trainer Club account. Amazing how many problems people have to read English and do what is written. Only 14- is rather complex with 21 steps to activate your account and still parents fail. Then parents start again, and again and .... quit, trashing the system with loads of non-finished accounts. Over 50% of our juniors and seniors do not have their accounts in order.
Also Online accounts. Every time kids, but adults too, are making new accounts as they do not read simple words that say that if you forgot your password to "klick here"....

I made a manual (that soon will be available in English too) to lead parents through the 21 steps. Hope this will work. Nevertheless it is still a race against the clock with the Nationals so close.

I've never logged onto the site since I got my POP ID, at least I've done it now. Sadly, this will no doubt cause problems on the day both from people who have forgotten or were blindly ignorant. Will there be a way for these unfortunate people to register on the day?

I've never logged onto the site since I got my POP ID,
:nonono: You are not alone

at least I've done it now.
:thumb: Check that you are opted-in and that your Play! Points are correct

Sadly, this will no doubt cause problems on the day both from people who have forgotten or were blindly ignorant. Will there be a way for these unfortunate people to register on the day?
:frown:Not without a first round loss at the very least. Getting players registered on pokemon.com will be a very low priority on the day.

Last edited:
What exactly do you need to do? Idk, do you tick a box or something - we already have the player rewards box ticked.

What exactly do you need to do? Idk, do you tick a box or something - we already have the player rewards box ticked.

You need to attach your Player ID or POP ID to your My Pokemon account. You do this in the My Play! Pokemon page. If you see just about anything on that page, you've already done it.

The player rewards box has been absorbed into a new opt-in.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/edit-profile/ said:
...lots of stuff...
... please make sure that your email address is correct ...
.. and that you have an address that is correct....
...at the bottom of the page...

PLAY! POKEMON PREFERENCES

• Yes! I want to participate in all available Play! Pokémon Programs including Player Rewards, Championship Points, and Play! Points. By selecting this preference, and providing valid contact information, I am eligible to earn special prizes such as travel awards, scholarships, and event invitations.
Please use my ............... when displaying my Play! Pokémon stats in public viewing areas on this website.

No. I do not wish to participate in any Play! Pokémon program and I understand that I will NOT be eligible to earn special prizes such as travel awards, scholarships, and event invitations.

Please choose which product to add your Play! Points earned through league:..........
If the Play! Pokemon Preferences box is missing then you have yet to attach a player ID to the account.

Parents of players who are age under 13 have to do this from their account but selecting the child account that is linked to their account.

Last edited:
The player rewards box has been absorbed into a new opt-in.

Parents of players who are age under 13 have to do this from their account but selecting the child account that is linked to their account.

I've clicked on the My Play Pokemon tab on My Profile, and cannot find this box; similarly on Player Information, My Rewards, I cannot find this new opt-in box. Are there any screenshots of how to do this?

Many thanks.

The opt-in is on this page https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/edit-profile/ NOT the MyPlay!Pokemon tab

If you don't have that page then I would guess that you have not agreed to the general play terms or not responded to the activation email . It is different for child accounts : there is no universal link I could post.

If the above link does not work then you will need to tell me the accounts that you think are wrong so that I can take a closer look. But my first guess is that you are looking at the wrong page.

Last edited:
Of the 470 players in the UK listed in the ratings and rankings 230 have play points with a further 60 NOIR.

So depending how you want to do the numbers roughly half the UK players have yet to get registered and set up for Player Rewards. It could be much worse it the ratings page included league-only players.

tl;dr; or bad at math? Then this is what it means

More than half of you don't want free stuff. Why ever not?

I understand that Juniors will be able to play at the UK Nationals irrespective of how many play points they have. However do they still need to have opted in for Play Pokemon rewards in order to be eligible to play or will it just be enough if they have a POP ID?

Because OP does an insufficient job at disseminating the information that a player needs to log into his/her Pokemon.com account in order to claim their "free stuff." I've played in many tournaments this year. Never at any of these tournaments have I heard an announcement that players need to log into Pokemon.com to get their play points.

Tournament organizers aren't being asked to announce this information, and most players don't check Pokegym very often.

Your question was this: "More than half of you don't want free stuff. Why ever not?"
Here's the simple answer: "Because players aren't being told how to get their free stuff."

Because OP does an insufficient job at disseminating the information that a player needs to log into his/her Pokemon.com account in order to claim their "free stuff." I've played in many tournaments this year. Never at any of these tournaments have I heard an announcement that players need to log into Pokemon.com to get their play points.

Tournament organizers aren't being asked to announce this information, and most players don't check Pokegym very often.

Your question was this: "More than half of you don't want free stuff. Why ever not?"
Here's the simple answer: "Because players aren't being told how to get their free stuff."

It may be a simple answer but it does not apply locally.

I have a handful of league players who I've been telling about the free stuff ever since they joined league some years ago. Yet they still aren't registered. I take the free stuff to league and show it to them, and they still don't register. So whatever the reason I'm sure that locally your simple answer does not apply.

I make the announcement at tournaments too and yet when I look at the upload I can see players that have still not logged in and ticked the opt in. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink :(

Whatever the issue is I expect it is related to the (common?) player behaviour of not bothering to bring damage counters, or status markers or even a legal coin/die. Of not having a decklist ready. Using tatty sleeves which they have been told before are worn out. There may be some blame that can be placed at POPs feet but to believe that is where the problem rests is a mistake.

The numbers are similar in the USA too.

USA Masters:

The ratings table goes out to page 185 for play points with page 151 onward indicating blank for play points. on this page https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/...cation=176&type=cycle_pp&cycle=9&page_1=151#1 there is a Master with 1914.68 elo which is worlds invite level. Though just a guess I'd expect that player has previously played in worlds.

The ELO table goes out to page 270

List of Seniors and Masters with 10 or more Play! Points http://www.squiggle12.talktalk.net/ If you are not on the list then get registered and check that all your participation is correct. Which means bug the League and TO that has not entered you. If they say they have then ask what Player ID they used.

The ten play points isn't absolute but will need a strong case for an exception to be made such as severe illness/disability or military service.

I remember there was 98 masters last year, so it looks like numbers will be down by 25% this year. As 3-4 people on the roster will likely not show up on the day. No doubt we'll get a few people who show up who won't be eligible to play. This will certainly be the toughest national we've ever had. On the upside at least registration [DEL]will [/DEL]should be much faster this time round. That way we don't have a tournament that runs past mid-night. I just hope the play point system requirements are lowered to make it easier for people to be qualify next year.

Free stuff (Player rewards)? Haven't seen that for the last two years. Europe (and probably the rest of the world outside the US too) is of low priority for TPCi. So why bother to go through all the trouble (especially for 14-) to activate your account if you're not going to attend Nationals?

Last edited:
I remember there was 98 masters last year, so it looks like numbers will be down by 25% this year. As 3-4 people on the roster will likely not show up on the day. No doubt we'll get a few people who show up who won't be eligible to play. This will certainly be the toughest national we've ever had. On the upside at least registration [DEL]will [/DEL]should be much faster this time round. That way we don't have a tournament that runs past mid-night. I just hope the play point system requirements are lowered to make it easier for people to be qualify next year.

Not sure how you are getting the 25% down on last year. The number of players currently eligible is the same as last year's attendance . Whilst true that not everyone on the list will attend or play, there is still a bunch of players trying to get that last point of two to qualify and an unknown number who just have to log in and opt-in to qualify. The prize pool has effectively doubled over last year which should act as a further incentive to attend.

10 Play Points is really not that hard at all to get so the entry requirement may go up next year.

Last year it was play that had the problems :( So with fewer play related issues we should be done well before midnight.

---------- Post added 05/26/2012 at 10:42 AM ----------

Free stuff (Player rewards)? Haven't seen that for the last two years. Europe (and probably the rest of the world outside the US too) is of low priority for TPCi. So why bother to go through all the trouble (especially for 14-) to activate your account if you're not going to attend Nationals?

Not sure why the mainland would be singled out. UK had player rewards for the year ending dec 2010 arrive in February of this year. Very similar to the USA.

I haven't heard of anything more recent outside the USA but that doesn't mean that some have not been sent.

We haven't received any Player Rewards whatsoever for years in Norway. In Denmark, only a low portion of the envelopes reach the players, and only once a year (they're handed out at Nationals). I think it's a fair point forat least parts of Europe that it's harder to motivate players into activating their accounts now. It was very different before when all players even in Scandinavia got player rewards in the mail every third month or so.

(But this is a thread about the UK, so I'm not going to go too far off topic here!)

Back