Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cheating from Worlds Contestants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ness

In the interest of fairness I feel obligated to report several methods of cheating that were employed by players at this year's Pokémon TCG World Championships. I have chosen not to implicate anyone, but rather to educate the player base so that we can maintain fairness and the integrity of the game.

Here are five methods (all of which should be considered cheating) that were used at this year's World Championships:

1) The fake pile shuffle

I've briefly warned against this before, but it wasn't until Worlds that I was told players were actually doing it. I never saw this firsthand (as there actually is no way to tell if someone is doing it), but a fake pile shuffle consists of the following: The cheating player arranges his or her deck in a method so that while he or she appears to be pile shuffling, the deck is actually being stacked in a deliberate order. What might look like arbitrarily placing cards into piles to mix them up can actually be nothing more than stacking the deck in a perfect order.

2) Arranging supporters

I found it quite disappointing to listen to a fellow Worlds contestant brag about his brilliant deck-arranging strategy in which he would intentionally place his Professor Juniper above his other supporters. His logic was that since he usually preferred to reveal a Professor Juniper with Random Receiver, placing Professor Juniper directly above another supporter would artificially increase his odds of revealing it. Brilliant idea? Yes. Fair? No. A thorough shuffle would of course negate this, but he would deliberately shuffle inadequately or fake shuffle (discussed below) to guarantee or at least increase his odds of retaining this order.

3) Manipulating opening basics

The same player explained his favorite trick to not open with the dreaded lone Shaymin. He would sandwich his Shaymin between two other basics. Combine this with an intentional inadequate or fake shuffle and it's actually impossible to cut someone into a hand that would contain Shaymin as its only basic.

4) The weak riffle

In order to have a higher chance at maintaining the artificial order the player that stacked his or her deck creates in situations #2 and #3, he or she would intentionally do what I call "weak riffles," that is, he or she would riffle in a way that would hardly disturb the order of the deck. Certain sleeves which have a sticky effect are harder to do a "perfect riffle" (where each card is placed next to a new card after the riffle), and help retain the artificial order of cards created. Combine intentionally poor shuffling form with certain types of sleeves, and what looks like a riffle shuffle is really only changing the order of a few cards.

5) The fake overhand shuffle

Perhaps the most easily-spotted method of cheating involving shuffling is the fake overhand shuffle. I saw this more times than I could count at Worlds. I see it so often that I can only hope that at least some of the players doing it do not even realize what they are actually doing. The fake overhand shuffle involves a player taking the bottom half of his deck, slapping it on to the top of his deck, then taking the new bottom half, and slapping it on top of the deck. In this process, the order of not a single card has changed. When done imperfectly, the order of only a few cards change. No matter how many times this is done, when it is done an even number of times, the order of the cards in the deck will remain unchanged (or slightly changed, depending on the inaccuracy of the shuffler).

So what do I do if someone is shuffling in a suspicious manner?

No matter how well your opponent has stacked or manipulated his or her deck, everything he or she has done can be undone by simply shuffling it thoroughly.

Now, let me be clear: just because someone has pile-shuffled before doing any other kind of shuffle doesn't mean it's an attempt to cheat. In fact, from my experience with the Pokémon TCG, I would say the odds a player who is doing this is cheating are very low. One thing you can do as a pile shuffler to reassure your opponent you are shuffling fairly is to do some other kind of standard shuffle before pile shuffling. That way, your opponent can rest assured knowing your cards were in no artificial order before you pile shuffled. Or, if you prefer, you could pile shuffle, but then still complete a series of riffles & overhand shuffles afterwards. Or best yet, don't even pile shuffle! (I don't!) Too many players preach the sophism that it is necessary to pile shuffle a deck to randomize it. It is not! Even an amateur shuffler can randomize his or her deck with riffles and overhand shuffles.

Of course, no one's under any obligation to shuffle as I tell him or her to. Rather, all I can do is suggest ideas in the interest of fairness. If you still feel compelled to pile shuffle, do so, but please never use pile shuffling to replace the need for a good riffle/overhand shuffle. If you're playing against someone who pile shuffles, but does not do much other shuffling, play it safe by offering some supplementary shuffling of their deck.

Closing Notes

A few bad apples popping up should never discourage the rest of us from enjoying the card game with the most honest, sportsmanlike player base in the world. If you have any suspicions about your opponent, you can never do any harm by giving his or her deck a thorough shuffle when he or she is finished shuffling (or pretending to). And if you have a knowledgeable judge, don't be too timid to ask him or her to watch your opponent shuffle, either. I spoke with a veteran Worlds Judge about these issues and was pleasantly surprised to find out the Worlds judging staff was well aware of these types of cheating.

Last edited:
If you feel your opponent has shuffled in an improper way are you not allowed to shuffle your opponents deck after they have done, then allow them to cut?

You brought up some valid points though, and I'm shocked to hear about someone actually coming out saying they used a certain strategy, I don't even want to know who it is.

I am not surprised. There is a lot of cheating that goes on in Pokemon. This is actually one of the reasons why I stopped playing competitively. There are about 4-5 players that are suspected cheaters here in the south-western Ontario area and, unfortunately, they are some of the higher ranked Masters players (from what I've heard). I think it's sad that people would resort to this kind of behaviour in a game that's supposed to be primarily fun. But, oh well. I'm not a TO or judge so I can't do anything except talk her on the 'gym :tongue:

Im glad this has been brought up, thanks Ness! I'll keep it in mind at future events, is it ok to thoroughly shuffle someones deck as a cut btw? just wondering.

Try not to be too discouraged when you encounter cheating in the Pokémon TCG. The game is comprised of such an overwhelmingly high percentage of fair, sportsmanlike players that the few cheaters tend to weed themselves out. It's not even that they get caught cheating and end up banned. Rather, when you cheat in Pokémon, you quickly learn there aren't many people that want anything to do with you and you move on to something else. In my 13 years playing, I've encountered a dozen or so cheaters, and with the exception of the ones I discovered this year at Worlds, all of them have quit the game. Those that haven't eventually will.

You're always allowed to shuffle your opponent's deck any time you would be allowed to cut it. It can be obnoxiously time-consuming to repeatedly perform a thorough shuffle each time your opponent goes into his or her deck, which is why I suggest calling a judge if you have suspicions about your opponent's shuffling. A good judge will exert enough pressure on the player to perform an adequate shuffle.

#1 Would be hard to pull off: Assuming one Shuffles with their cards facing down. The only way they could do it, is have their deck in a certain order, pile shuffle, so it gets in another order, then predict where you are going to cut it. Kinda low if someone can actually pull this off.

Every single one of these can be solved by players shuffling their opponent's decks, which is allowed by the current rules (the opponent gets a final cut after the player shuffles).

I recommend to anybody in a top level competition to pile shuffle their opponent's deck before the game, and randomly intersperse quick shuffles with cuts throughout the game. Do NOT pile shuffle mid game, as that'll only anger everybody else by wasting time. Most TOs that I've worked with will give players ample time between posting pairings and starting the round for these shuffles.

#1 Would be hard to pull off: Assuming one Shuffles with their cards facing down. The only way they could do it, is have their deck in a certain order, pile shuffle, so it gets in another order, then predict where you are going to cut it.

Stacking the deck isn't always a matter of wanting to know what your first seven cards will be; more typically, it's a matter of making sure your distributions are completely clump-free.

For example: If you were to stack a deck such that every third card is an energy card, no matter where the deck is cut, you'll have no more than three and no less than two energies in your opening hand.

Stacking the deck isn't always a matter of wanting to know what your first seven cards will be; more typically, it's a matter of making sure your distributions are completely clump-free.

For example: If you were to stack a deck such that every third card is an energy card, no matter where the deck is cut, you'll have no more than three and no less than two energies in your opening hand.

This is spot-on. Another example: A player could evenly space apart his supporters to ensure a supporter in his or her opening hand regardless of where the opponent cut the deck.

The only way to thwart this is by shuffling. Sadly, even those players who shuffle their opponents' decks often do not shuffle thoroughly enough to completely negate the unfair advantage created by the cheater.

Last edited:
This happens often at leagues and tourneys as well (of course). It does bring to mind a thought I had while watching the event. I thought that it seemed a bit.. well, unprofessional has a negative connotation, but it didn't seem as "official" as it would have if judges shuffled for players, or they had some machine that did it or something.

In an event like the World Championship, the last thing I want to have to worry about is someone cheating. By this point, you would hope that the cheaters would be weeded out, and we would have a fair event. However, the reality is that there are some who continue to do it, so this certainly is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Overall, my biggest concern is that there isn't a good way to prove that a player is using these methods. If you're too strict, you can start a witch hunt on innocent people. If you're too lax, people won't get caught. Where do you draw the line? I'm sure this is something that judges discuss a lot, but I'm just curious to know what the procedures are.

As we start to record more matches, one of the overlooked benefits is deterring cheating. If you're on camera, you are less likely to cheat because you are going to be caught eventually. What do you count as cheating, though? Take a look at this video from the Top 16 of Worlds. At around 3:30, 31:30, and 58:15, you can see Steven Mao rearrange the contents of his deck before the game starts, but then he shuffles afterwards. Is something like this acceptable? I'm curious to know what people think.

So is this the point: The people doing this are knowing they are going to get "a supporter card or an energy card or a card that isn't just shaymin" there should exist a probability they don't get a supporter energy, ect (even though it may be very low). But these said people are doing it so they "always" get in so they do/ or don't get lone or certain cards?

As per the Shaymin Example you Shuffling their deck is an answer, however the certain said supporters spread out one I don't.

Edit: Pooka has a point you have to watch out for cheaters, but then again you can't over do this and go on innocent people.
Remember Cheating implies they do it on purpose to gain an advantage.

Dumbest Fix ever suggested by homeofmew: have people bring their deck, enter it in a random simulator/shuffler machine
and have it played that way.
Fixes a ton of problems x)

Last edited:
Ness, I like that you brought up becoming a more assertive player and ways to keep your opponent's cheating from working, but I think it is also important to stress for players who do cheat to be able to get help as well. I can imagine that some players (maybe some) end up cheating in a self-defensive manner, though not all. If winning didn't matter more than playing fair (and fair warnings could be a tough call for judges too), then there would be less cheating. It's not always simple logic though. The problem with these threads would be this: cheating? at Worlds? I would never do that. And then some people get self-defensive.

I was not at Worlds, but that would be my opinion.

Something that I've noticed time and time again was someone pile shuffling, then riffle shuffling those piles back into each other, causing the cards to be in roughly the same order as when they started. I see it a lot, and I always wonder if they realize the riffle shuffling undoes the pile shuffling.

Something that I've noticed time and time again was someone pile shuffling, then riffle shuffling those piles back into each other, causing the cards to be in roughly the same order as when they started. I see it a lot, and I always wonder if they realize the riffle shuffling undoes the pile shuffling.

As long as you don't take two piles directly next to each other, it's a legitimate way to further shuffle the deck.

In any case, shuffling in any of the ways Ness presents (as an issue) is plain wrong, and it disgusts me how often it occurs-Even in the younger age groups. (Actually, it happens quite a bit more than you'd expect there)

Im curious...i remember when i first started playing, i was told that i could NOT shuffle my opponents deck. Is that rule still in place, or am I allowed to shuffle anothers deck after any search/at the beginning of the game.

In an event like the World Championship, the last thing I want to have to worry about is someone cheating. By this point, you would hope that the cheaters would be weeded out, and we would have a fair event. However, the reality is that there are some who continue to do it, so this certainly is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Overall, my biggest concern is that there isn't a good way to prove that a player is using these methods. If you're too strict, you can start a witch hunt on innocent people. If you're too lax, people won't get caught. Where do you draw the line? I'm sure this is something that judges discuss a lot, but I'm just curious to know what the procedures are.

As we start to record more matches, one of the overlooked benefits is deterring cheating. If you're on camera, you are less likely to cheat because you are going to be caught eventually. What do you count as cheating, though? Take a look at this video from the Top 16 of Worlds. At around 3:30, 31:30, and 58:15, you can see Steven Mao rearrange the contents of his deck before the game starts, but then he shuffles afterwards. Is something like this acceptable? I'm curious to know what people think.

In reference to sorting cards prior to shuffing: Am I am reading this thread correctly? Do people think I would be cheating if I split out an energy pocket or balance Pokemon to avoid countless Mulligans by moving cards around prior to shuffling? I am pretty sure the Compendium states that this is a perfectly legal thing to do as long as I shuffle afterwards. In no way would I want someone to think I was cheating and/or label me as a "cheater" when I am doing something within the rules? Am I missing something?

@r3: You are allowed to shuffle any time it's given to you for a cut, just be careful not to take too much time doing it. After you shuffle, the opponent may cut their own deck before drawing.

@Rue: Sort of. If you split apart clumps, you just have to shuffle thoroughly. This thread is about those who split apart clumps and then hardly shuffle, ensuring those clumps stay apart.

Another option is to call a judge to randomize the deck. I wouldn't do it often, but it is allowed.

I always shuffle my opponents deck after every shuffle they do. I don't assume people are cheating, it's just a good habit for me to be in so I don't have to worry about it.

Interesting, I didn't know this was true - I usually pile and then overhand each pile back into the main deck. Does that have the same effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back