Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

4-1 in Edwardsville, IL with Accelegor/Darkrai/Registeel

honchvire

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
Hearing that some boxes were producing upwards of 4 EXs, I couldn't wait to open up my own. Sadly, I ended up getting the 2EX boxes instead. This put a damper on my plans for battle roads, as I didn't get multiples of anything but Mew and Registeel.

In the weeks leading up to BR I didn't have time to do a ton of testing due to my work schedule. I had cobbled together a couple different decks with proxies but nothing really blew me away. I also had to miss the first weekend of battle roads, so sunday was going to be my first real foray into the new format.

After talking with some friends, and theorymoning a bunch, I decided that Accelegor would be a fun play. Initially I was going to pair it with Gothitelle, but as I formed the list I decided I didn't like all the space I would have to devote to Goth. Enter more theorymon and a little playtesting and I decided that since we are all without junk arm, paralysis lock without item lock would be feasible. You could only play 4 switch(unless you are playing Sableye/Trubbish/Excadrill) and many lists were playing fewer to save space.

Heres a list:

4-3 Accelegor(Mysterious Evolution)
1 Karrablast DEX
2 RegisteelEX
2 MewEX
2 DarkraiEX
2 Sableye

4 Juniper
4 N
4 Random Receiver
4 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball
1 Super Rod
4 Catcher
2 Max Potion
3 Eviolite
3 Dark Patch

4 Prism
4 DCE
4 Dark

I originally had Regigigas as a wall, but decided that it would be better to mix up the weaknesses and the spread of Registeel would be good for manipulating damage for good Deck and Cover KOs. Karrablast was another last minute addition to give me the option to Evolve to Accelegor T1. After today, I think I would make a few tweaks to make room for at least 2 Tool Scrapper. Anyway, on to the rounds.

R1 Vs Probopass/Garbador/Sableye/Hammers
Before the round, my opponent was making nose jokes and I said "You better not be playing Probopass." Its a bit embarassing to say, but I had to read Probopass to see what it did(usually its my job to play cards that people have to read).
I go first and get off a T1 Mysterious evolution by using a level ball to find Karrablast. His deck is all energy denial, so I have to hold on to my DCEs until I'm ready to attack with Mew or Accelegor. I take the first two prizes before I hit a bit of a snag. At some point I benched a Registeel and he managed to get a Garbador online. He catchers the Registeel and does his probopass thing to move my energy from Registeel to that Karrablast. I keep pressure on with catchers and energy so he ends up blowing a bunch of switches, while moving a ton of energy to Karrablast. At some point I catcher his Garbador and he realizes he is out of energy and switches! We both draw/pass until he decks out.
1-0

Not quite how I intended to win, but I'll take it.

R2 Vs Durant/Sableye
I go first again, I think I started with Mew this time. In the back of my mind I was thinking "Get to the Darkrai, and use Sableye to keep from decking" but my aggressiveness got the better of me. I overextended a bit and he milled 3 DCEs in 2 turns. He also managed to hit a couple crucial hammer flips, I eventually run out of energy and end up decking out after taking 3 prizes.
1-1

I learned an important lesson about not being overzealous in this new format. Overextending early can really hurt.

R3 Vs TerrakionEX/Garbador
He starts lone Terrakion and I start Shelmet. He draws dead while I get a quick Accelegor and KO a Trubbish before it could evolve. He couldn't find another pokemon or supporter so I 2 hit the Terrakion with Deck and Cover for game.
2-1

R4 Vs RayquazaEX/RaikouEX/Eels
He goes first. Opens with RayquazaEX while I start Shelmet. He attaches and gets a few Tynamo in play. I search my Karrablast and Evolve to Accelegor T1. We both start setting up, but he always seems to have the switch whenever I would paralyze him. I eventually get paralysis to stick on a RayquazaEX and 2 hit it for 2 Prizes. At this point he goes hard Raikou and starts sniping my Accelegors til I have none left. This puts him at 1 prize and me at 4, but I also notice he has played all 4 switches. I catcher an Eel, N him to 1, and Junk Hunt a Super Rod and Catcher while setting up a Registeel. He attaches to Raikou for some reason and passes. I send up Registeel and start lasering around the active Eel, preying on the two benched ones and the Emolga. Time is called, but I have enough turns to KO 2 Eels and the Emolga to tie it up. He still cant retreat the Eel, so I retreat to Darkrai and Night Spear for game.
3-1

Uncomfortably close, but Registeel got in there!

R5 Vs Ho-Oh/Energy Switch/Attackers
I open Mew and Sableye, but no supporters. He opens Ho-Oh. He goes first and attaches to Ho-Oh and benches a Registeel. I level ball for shelmet, catcher registeel, and junk hunt to put level ball and catcher back in hand. He attaches DCE to Ho-Oh, plays Switch and Catchers Shelmet for the KO. Still no supporters for me, so I do the same thing as last turn: level ball, catcher Registeel, and junk hunt for Level Ball and Catcher. He plays Switch and Catcher again, to KO my Shelmet again. I groan a little bit, but do the same move again, Level Ball, Catcher, Junk Hunt. He misses the Switch/Catcher and has to pass.
I finally get a supporter(N) and I'm back in the game. I promote my own Registeel and start spreading to Ho-Oh and 2 Terrakions he had on his bench. I spread the Terrakions to 60 so the math would work for Mew's Deck and Cover. I catcher one and it dies coming into my turn. His Registeel finally has enough energy to attack so I am forced to Deck and Cover it to keep the spread from ruining me. The math wasn't going to work out right for me, so I end up getting the Registeel to 170, before catchering the other Terrakion and Night Spearing it and Registeel for 3 Prizes. He promotes Mewtwo and hits my Darkrai for 100. I have an Accelegor and a Mew on my bench, so I retreat and Paralyze/Poison the Mewtwo for 100. He doesn't hit the switch, so Darkrai finishes the game for me.
4-1

I did it! Championship Points. Hooray! I ended up using Karrablast a ton, and almost never used Max Potion. I might end up dropping those if I decide to play this again next week.

Good job! I was the new judge there (with the Bullet Bill shirt), and my friend Aaron was also running Accelgor, but with Gothitelle. He ended up 3-2, with his losses to Colin Moll and the 5-0 player w/ Ho-oh.

Ho-oh is doing a lot better than I expected. :O

Nice job ZZ and welcome back!!!

Accelgor really seems like a Zamora deck, especially with Shelmet!

Congrats to my new judge GG, who did well. I can't imagine a more BORING event for your first though, I am not sure there was a hard ruling or penalty ALL DAY!!!!

On we go to B&B and V-Stock this weekend!!!

More points to be had!!!

Can't wait to see you ALL there!!

Vince

All I know is that I was never called over to a table the whole day. As a matter of fact, I only had to point out prizes once, and tell someone to discard a supporter they left on the field. It's no big deal, I didn't expect a lot anyways.

Well done, love! I was sad that I didn't get to see you play any games. Hopefully I can see this on Wednesday because it sounds quite promising to me :D

I always love Accelgor ideas! And this is quite an interesting one. Also, you're the first person I've seen use Karrablast, and I am quite surprised you found it to be highly effective. I am gonna have to test that! Thanks for the report and the very cool deck!

Back