Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sapphire's 10th place PA regional report.

Sapphire Birch

Coming into the tournament I knew I was going to be playing something that involved darkrai. I played in a couple of battle roads with poor results I tried 3 different eel variants, and 2 different darkrai/terrakion decks(1 with roserade 1 without). I liked darkrai variants much more than eel, plus I didn't want to get donked playing eel.(I wasn't about that lifestyle) A few days leading up to the event I was going back and forth on playing either darkrai/sableye/hammers or darkrai/terrakion/roserade. I didn't feel comfortable with my hydreigon match-up with hammers so I went with my darkrai/terrakion/roserade list. Here's the list I played:

http://tinypic.com/r/fnsarl/6

The friday before the tournament I got up to Philly with my friends Tristan and Max and meet up with Mark and Rudy. We head over to iHop for dinner and Tristan and Max end up taking Syrup shots lol. When get to Rudy's place and put together Empoleon/Accelgor for Rudy. Max makes his Mewtwo/terrakion/eelektrik list together, Mark puts together darkrai/roserade/sableye and Tristan ends up playing rayquaza/eelektrik/victini. Instead of playtesting we end up playing brawl all night lol. I also end up going to bed at 3:30AM.

We all wake up the next morning around 6:30 so we can get breakfast and get there early. I put on my pajamas(who wears pajamas to sleep anyway?) and head out. We get to the convention center and I meet up with Aaron Zheng, Christian Ortiz, Mike Diaz, and my VGC friend Danny Zollner. I play my first 2 actual games with my list vs my friend Max and lose both games, making me think I could be playing the wrong deck for the day. Anyway announcements happen. We end up having 306 masters and a top 32 cut and the tournament starts!

Round 1: Rayquaza/eelektrik.

We both start slow but I get a turn 3 night spear and start destroying his board. He starts a come back at the end, but I was too far ahead and 3 prize ko on a rayquaza EX and rayquaza DV win me the game. 1-0

Round 2: Justin Bokhari(Darkrai/terrakion/shaymin)

I start god with a turn 2 night spear with a fighting energy on terrakion to his shaymin EX start. I get a land crush turn 3 on his darkrai and win in 5 turns. I don't think he even played a supporter :( 2-0

Round 3: Connor Kyles(Mewtwo/Tornadus/Zekrom/Eelektrik)

I start very slow with a terrakion start. He gets 2 tynamos out turn 1 and turn 2 gets eelektrik and level ball but when he gets another tynamo with his level ball I know something is up. Turns out he has 3 eelektrik's prized! Even with a turn 5 Night spear I am able to come back because he can't get much energy into play. He slows me down with max potions and keeps himself in the game but he can't stop my darkrai assaults. I win another lucky game 3-0

Round 4: ho-oh/rayquazaDV/terrakion/mewtwo.

I get an ok start and she keeps dragon pulseing my eviolite darkrai's and discarding key cards like terrakion and mewtwo. I put pressure on her but out of nowhere she drops another rayquazaDV gets heads on rebirth and triple energy switches to shred my eviolite darkrai with 90 damage on it. I then catcher ko her damaged mewtwo with retaliate and win soon after that. 4-0

Round 5: Nelson Chua(Darkrai/terrakion/Hammers)

I get a turn 2 night spear on his terrakion to his slow start and keep putting damage on terrakions before I take knock outs. I eventually overwhelm him with eviolite darkrais and win the game. 5-0.

Round 6: Zach Bowers(terrakionEX/terrakion/mewtwo)

I get another turn 2 night spear on his terrakion EX and he has an energy/supporter drought. He potions his terrakion EX so he can live another turn, and finally manages to get an energy into play. I catcher the terrakion with 60 damage on it and take 3 prizes with him having 1 card in hand. He draws an energy plays plus power to ko my eviolite darkrai. I kill his last terrakion and win 2 turns after that in another lucky game!. 6-0 and feeling very lucky, but hey you need luck to win tournaments right?

Round 7: Dylan Bryan(ho-oh/terrakion/mewtwo/rayquazaDV/musharna/roserade)

I start terrakion going second and he gets a turn 1 rainbow burn for 80 on it, followed up by a turn 2 land crush on my only darkrai in play. I can't come back and lose this game pretty fast. 6-1

Round 8: Stephan Deshazo(rayquaza/eelektrik)

he puts pressure on me with a turn 1 mewtwo and kills my sableye turn 2. I retaliate for 90 while he tries to power up rayquaza. I eventually kill his mewtwo with mine and he whiffs fire energy for a few turns and I ko his eels before he can dragon burst me. I slowly starts coming back with rayquazaDV's shred, but I bianca the rest of my deck to get the last catcher I need to win the game. 7-1

Round 9: Sam Mcclain(Hydreigon/darkrai)

Sam and I go to the same league so we have a relaxed game knowing we both made topcut. Sadly this wasn't much of a game though. I get a turn 2 night spear on a deino and kept koing deino's before he could get a hydreigon or even an attack off. He scoops pretty fast. 8-1

So I finish day 1 8-1 3rd in swiss. We end up not playing top 32 that night, and have to be back at 8AM to play top 32. I find out i'm playing Stephan Deshazo in a rematch in top 32.

Most of my friends did pretty poorly with the exception of Christian Ortiz going 7-2 making top 32 with Garbodor, and Aaron, and Mark getting top 64 getting some championship points.

I get up really early and get driven to the convention center and get ready for my top 32 match.

Top 32: Stephan Deshazo(rayquaza/eelektrik)

game 1:He starts getting a bunch of eels into play and I get a turn 2 night spear. He whiffs a crucial fire energy to ko my eviolite darkrai and I win shortly after that.

game 2: He goes first and gets 2 tynamo into play. I get a turn 1 retaliate on a tynamo and destroy his board winning this game very fast. In the 3 games we played he never even dragon burst'd me.

I get deck checked and wait another 2 hours for top 16. I know I will be playing Ben Potter using Rayquaza/eelektrik/victini. I'm very scared of this matchup since I don't play switch so this game will come down to flips.

Top 16: Ben Potter(rayquaza/eelektrik/victini/stunfisk)

Game 1: I start terrakion and he starts thunder fanging me early. there is a turn where he gets double tails but I whiff on the catcher to ko victini. I eventually ko victini and mount a comeback but he has 2 powered up rayquaza EX that I can't deal with so I lose game 1.

Game 2: I start terrakion again and have no supporter and a bunch of energy. I threaten a turn 3 land crush but he thunder fangs me getting heads. I have to bench my second terrakion so I could bianca and that gets catchered and thunder fanged. he kills my terrakions and I can't come back and lose this game too.

So I lose in top 16 getting 10th place. I get 50 championship points and 18 packs in which i pulled FA terrakion EX and a ho-oh. I go rush to enter VGC as I have 10 minutes left to register. I make it on time and play vgc the rest of the day :D

I had tons of fun and I'm very proud to get top 16 after always barely missing cut at just about every event I go to, and a poor battle roads showing. Hopefully I can keep this run and continue to do well at cities since I actually want to try for a worlds invite this year. I'll be at virginia regionals this winter so I'll see everyone again there!

Last edited:
Since we are buddies, I am here to make fun of you due to your lack of grammar.
I scoops pretty fast, where you talk about Samuel, so you lost? Just curious.
But anyways, Good Job Angel :D

Back