Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The lack of communication between Japan and the rest of the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I'm looking forward to a simultaneous release. I don't understand why almost 15 years later we aren't noticeably closer to it.

It'll never happen unless the video games are released at the same time. Nintendo wouldn't want new characters released through the card game before the video game. The anime may figure in as well, but I'm not sure.

1) The old ruling on Quick Ball was wrong. That went through my predecessor at here. Not saying I'm infallible or that they did a poor job, but as far as Team Compendium is concerned, they did everything correct. It's a reasonable ruling given the information available to the involved parties.
2) Given this old ruling (which I've tried to review everything, but that's a lot of things), the initial ruling on RR was logical following the precedent.
3) We found the mistake and fixed it.
4) End of line

Please do not disparage Team Compendium, I'm it for "R&D" here, and I rely heavily on them to aggregate and predict rules questions and situations, as well as disseminate the information. Our rules situation is not perfect, but it's demonstrably orders of magnitude better than if we all didn't have these 5 guys (mmmm 5 Guys) basically volunteering to help keep this game cohesive.

There's still things that aren't clear, but we're working on them. I hope to have an article up soonish about the difference between Tangle Drag and Captivate style attacks, why they're different, how they hadn't been translated distinctly and consistently , and how they interact differently with Solar Revelation type effects.

---------- Post added 11/06/2012 at 10:37 AM ----------

The problem comes with a phrasing that normally doesn't need to be checked. It simply says "Shuffle", not shuffle your deck or shuffle the remaining cards. The translator went with the accepted use after revealing cards. This accepted use was not questioned the first time with Quick Ball, so they had no reason to question it now. The Japanese language uses a lot of context clues, some of which are subtle, almost to the point of invisibility.

To this point, it's pretty standard in many TCGs to use the concept that if you are shuffling an indeterminate sized set of objects into your deck, you shuffle even if there are 0 items in the set. This is why I was surprised to find the Quick Ball/RR ruling working the way it was when everyone that plays Pokémon TCG seems to realize you shuffle your deck when you play Oak's New Theory even if you have 0 cards in your hand. Same deal.

1) The old ruling on Quick Ball was wrong. That went through my predecessor at here. Not saying I'm infallible or that they did a poor job, but as far as Team Compendium is concerned, they did everything correct. It's a reasonable ruling given the information available to the involved parties.
2) Given this old ruling (which I've tried to review everything, but that's a lot of things), the initial ruling on RR was logical following the precedent.
4) End of line

Please do not disparage Team Compendium, I'm it for "R&D" here, and I rely heavily on them to aggregate and predict rules questions and situations, as well as disseminate the information. Our rules situation is not perfect, but it's demonstrably orders of magnitude better than if we all didn't have these 5 guys (mmmm 5 Guys) basically volunteering to help keep this game cohesive.

There's still things that aren't clear, but we're working on them. I hope to have an article up soonish about the difference between Tangle Drag and Captivate style attacks, why they're different, how they hadn't been translated distinctly and consistently , and how they interact differently with Solar Revelation type effects.

To this point, it's pretty standard in many TCGs to use the concept that if you are shuffling an indeterminate sized set of objects into your deck, you shuffle even if there are 0 items in the set. This is why I was surprised to find the Quick Ball/RR ruling working the way it was when everyone that plays Pokémon TCG seems to realize you shuffle your deck when you play Oak's New Theory even if you have 0 cards in your hand. Same deal.

Thanks Dylan.
Looking forward to the article.

If I recall correctly, the explanation for this is that your hand, as well as your discard pile, deck, prizes, bench and lost zone (and probably others I'm forgetting) are game locations, and always exist, meaning you can always (e.g.) shuffle your hand into your deck*, because you always have a hand. Anything else is just a group of cards, and doesn't exist if there are no cards for it to be made of.

It made sense to me, at least.

* Given an effect telling you to, obviously.

4) End of line

Oh my god...someone who looks to have actual game development experience. This may not be Privateer Press but you get a cookie and a plushie. :thumb:

Also mmm...5 Guys...

As for the Compendium team, I wholeheartedly agree that they are creating a nonzero benefit. I have often criticized them, even in public, but at the end of the day my criticisms have been directed at issues such as a lack of resources. Any time I wrote it was clear my finger was pointed at TPCi.

Even more looking forward to seeing what you can do. I wonder if any industry analysts will write about it if Pokemon does something RIGHT? :)

Should be in the Q1 2011 issue of Guild. You'll have to buy it.

Is there a more complete name to this than just "Guild"?
An organization name associated with it?
Doing a search on the word "guild", even paired with a few gaming terms, gives a hopelessly huge range of results.

There may still be issues (like the one you mentioned here), but I would still like to give praise to the amount of progress that has been done with the Black & White Series and onward. Things have certainly started becoming much more consistent and well done. All the attack names have been translated very consistently whenever something either matches a previously released card (during BW) or an attack from the video games. There hasn't been a video game move mistranslated since McDonald's Collection Klink's 'ViceGrip' was named 'Irongrip' a year and a half ago (I'd link to Pokémon.com, but the card database does not include promos for whatever reason). With the introduction of attacks like Round, this is a crucial, important victory and I am personally glad that it has finally been improved and fixed.

Although it may cause the occasional confusion, I am also glad that the 'EXP All' card was renamed 'Exp Share', since the 'EXP All' doesn't actually exist in the video games anymore. Now, all that needs to happen is the next print of 'PlusPower' being renamed 'X Attack' to finally match its game counterpart.

All in all, good job fixing many of the issues so far, and I am personally looking forward to the next improvements you have in store.

Is there a more complete name to this than just "Guild"?
An organization name associated with it?
Doing a search on the word "guild", even paired with a few gaming terms, gives a hopelessly huge range of results.

Not that I KNOW of, I googled it myself and got jack all. I'm currently as confused as you are.

As far as the Hone Claws ruling, that's not a universal ruling. There are Rules, and there are Exceptions.

The Rule is that you can only attach one energy card per turn. The Exception is stuff like Eelektrik.

In this case, the Rule is that you cannot add damage to Bench Pokemon. This is because there is a specific clause on almost every Attack and Effect that adds damage to prevent this. It was made into a Meta Rule because players abjectly refuse to READ THE DAMN CARD. Hone Claws does not include that clause, so it is the Exception to that Meta Rule.

There's a lot of ranting in here but I'm EXTREMELY interested in the topic of mistranslation between Japanese and US cards. Wasn't there that huge problem with a slowbro translation a while back where in Japanese the power wasn't stackable but in English it was stackable?

Also, yeah, RR you shuffle. As someone who speaks English and Japanese but has only played in Japan I can say that I'm shocked to see that ya'll ruled any differently. I'm really interested in more of these translation errors.

For what it is worth, the Japanese Players HATE the fact that they have to discard their supporter after play too. They wish that could be changed back to next to the active for the turn, then discarded at the end of turn.

Just an aside...

Vince

Add them to the rest of the world. One of the silliest decisions I've seen in the game.

Add them to the rest of the world. One of the silliest decisions I've seen in the game.

Not as silly as giving a prize penalty for forgetting to discard your supporter at the end of your turn after the first infraction at Tier 2 events. I'm glad they changed that silly penalty, but not so glad they replaced the entire rule with the also silly "discard your supporter immediately" rule.

There's a lot of ranting in here but I'm EXTREMELY interested in the topic of mistranslation between Japanese and US cards. Wasn't there that huge problem with a slowbro translation a while back where in Japanese the power wasn't stackable but in English it was stackable?

Also, yeah, RR you shuffle. As someone who speaks English and Japanese but has only played in Japan I can say that I'm shocked to see that ya'll ruled any differently. I'm really interested in more of these translation errors.

I think you're referring to Neo Genesis Slowking. I think the Japanese text required it to be active for its power to work, where in English that clause was missing.

To be fair, the Neo Genesis Slowking translation has long been rumored to have been intentional, an attempt by WotC to "fix" the metagame; since they regularly would rule "play as written" for card errors where the error was such that it wouldn't render it unplayable (not bad, but literally unplayable because it just couldn't follow the rules of the game). I mean, we had Pokémon with the wrong Weakness and stuck with a lower HP because of printing errors.

I've been trying to resist passing on rumors, but this one has so much going for it that it has basically become a low level "conspiracy theory" kind of thing. WotC tried to avoid a Modified format in a few different ways, including creating a format with alternate deck construction rules (Prop 15/3 a.k.a. Prop 3/15). A Yu-Gi-Oh style ban list was also not considered an option.

It is thought that Slowking was hoped to render the Trainer heavy (back when Trainer=Items) that often ran 30 and sometimes even 40 Trainers couldn't survive with Slowking working while on the Bench. While partially true, Slowking itself became a near necessity for decks. It is one of those ideas that one minute seems asinine and the next completely plausible.

At least to me. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back