Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How many players needed for a T4 at Cities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see why a public discussion like this was bad. It was a respectfully asked question. The answers were well delivered. I learned something from this thread, and I bet I'm not the only one.

I wish we had more threads like this as far as tone and resolution go.

I fail to see why a public discussion like this was bad. It was a respectfully asked question. The answers were well delivered. I learned something from this thread, and I bet I'm not the only one.

I wish we had more threads like this as far as tone and resolution go.

I'll second that! While admittedly many times things go astray on the forums, this has remained a reasonably civil discussion. Keeping it private very well could have implications such as some other TO making the same mistake. One can be confrontational without being agressive or "complaining". In this case it brought to the community a teaching example.

Another point here,

Small mistakes like this can easily be corrected. If you know you should have a top 4 but TOM says top 2 due to a mistake, run top 4 on paper, support ticket to TPCi, they can correct the error for you. TPCi knows there will be mistakes made from time to time and they're there for you. I believe they would rather see the tournament corrected instead of mistakes being made and players missing out on important championship points due to human error.

TCG News & Gossip Discussion isn't a part of the forum which I check very often, so I didn’t get to see this thread until someone link it to me just now. After reading it and thinking back to what happened on that day, I’d like to apologize on behalf of our PTO and say sorry if this error possibly cost your daughter up to 20 extra Championship Points towards her World's invite.

Surrey events have always had some of the biggest turnouts for us. With more than 100 players, things could easily get out of hand. With many late registrations and our PTO being too nice for her own good, we had to delay the start of the event already. On top of that, we had to work with the mall hours (10am to 6pm). When time gets tight, people will involuntarily start to rush themselves.

With almost 70 masters enrolled in this event, the automated rounds set up by TOM are 7 rounds and a top 16 cut. The default setting looked like this:

JR: 5 Swiss round and top 4 cut
SR: 5 Swiss round and top 4 cut
MA: 7 Swiss round and top 16 cut

Due the time restriction, as much as we want to give the players as much play time as possible, we had to cut down a round and top cut. As I'm sure many of you PTOs out there know, whenever we switch the “play one less swiss round” to YES, all three age group all has to be affected and it looked something like this:

JR: 4 Swiss round and top 4 cut
SR: 4 Swiss round and top 4 cut
MA: 6 Swiss round and top 16 cut

Now, since we can’t have a top 16 cut for master, we had to click the drop down bar to change that from top 16 to top 8. I believe that is where the error occurred. After the switch from 16 to 8, the computer automatically adjusted all three age group to this:

JR: 4 Swiss round and top 2 cut
SR: 4 Swiss round and top 2 cut
MA: 6 Swiss round and top 8 cut

As you can see, there might have been some human error or computer setting error that cost this. With everyone wanted to get the event started, we must have over looked this part. I'm very sorry about this and once again apologize to all the Juniors and Seniors that could have played in the top 4 cut and had a chance at more Championship Points. We'll try our best to avoid this in our future events.

Bider, you and the rest of the people who ran the CC on Sunday did an outstanding job. The tourney ran super smoothly and I dont hold anything against you or the TO. We went up to Canada have a fun day of Pokemon and that is what we had. So thank-you very much for the hard effort you all put in that day in running the City Championship.

I was just curious if maybe the threshold for top cut had changed this year and I was unaware. That is the entire purpose of the thread. My daughter still had a great time playing and yes it would be nice if she could have had a chance for 20 more points but she did get 30 and has 66 now so she is still on her way to her goal. Lost of cities still to be played I am certain she will get her shot at participating in a top cut a few more times before all is said and done.

Plus she pulled a White Kurem EX in her packs so she was very happy with that.

---------- Post added 11/29/2012 at 11:48 PM ----------

I appreciate Bidier coming on here and owning up to any human error in trying to get the tourney started and dealing with time constraints. Mistakes can happen. It looks like that happened here and you have taken responsibility. Well done!

As to the OP, again, an answer has been provided. It appears that this answer could and would have been given to you in private, at the event, if you simply asked someone instead of coming on here to "ask a question" **coughcomplaincough**

Keith

Lawman, if you look at my original post you can clearly see that I went out of my way to give as few details about the touney at all. It was not my desire that the location of the tourney be known. But posters kept asking for more details about stuff like if players joined in late or the such that I had to give out more information which led of course to the discovery of where the event was at.

I never held any ill will to anyone who ran the event. It was just I expected there to be a T4 with the size of the Junior players in the event, and when I was told that the computer was only allowing a T2 I wondered if maybe the rule had changed for Top cuts this season, that was all I was asking about, I was not trying to call out or complain about anyone incharge of running the tourney. They all did an outstanding job on Sunday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back