Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

EX series different codes in corner? Italian different?

Cant wait :) And yeah, I'm going to figure out the codes for each one, and see if its possible to collect them all in each language. Only German, Italian, French and Japanese have the cards with those codes. Apparently Portuguese doesnt have any Voltorbs from the EX series lol

---------- Post added 02/28/2013 at 10:52 AM ----------

So, before I take my nap, I want to let you guys know what I've found. I went through my Voltorbs and found this:

Each common Voltorb had 3 different codes, but the RH had its own code.
One exception from my cards that I have. EX Legend Maker Voltorb, I was only able to find 1 code, and it is the same on both regular and RH. This makes me wonder if the other ones also had a matching code for the RH and I'm just missing it...

For the uncommons, There is only 1 code per uncommon and the RH had its own code. Again, the exception is in EX Legend Maker with the Electrode. I've only been able to find one code total.

The rares and UR's have only 1 code regardless of if it is RH or not.

The trainers I have that are uncommon follow the trend as well for uncommon cards, except for Pokemon Retriever, which has the same code for both the RH and the regular card. I might not have enough cards to compare them all and find anything accurate, but overall it seems that for each common, there are 4 codes (including the RH) and for each uncommon there are 2 codes (including RH).

I'm going to take a nap now, but let me know if you guys are finding anything different. This is a very odd thing to look into. I dont think I've ever heard of anyone trying to collect the cards with each code, but its interesting for sure.

I just got a bunch of Japanese and French Torbs in the mail today, and I noticed something that I want to share with you all. The french Torbs match the codes that the English ones have, but the Japanese codes are all different. And I mean all 9 digits are different compared to the English ones. I still noticed that the Rares and Holo's only have one code, and the first 6 numbers and letters are the same for an identical card.

Just thought I'd let you guys know this news. So it seems that European and English cards had the same digits, but Japanese had different ones. I guess it makes sense that they are different, but why are the French and English the same?

Okay so from my previous research on this, it seems that only the ex series have the changing numbers, and the farther down the line you go, the less chance of a set having changing numbers. So, this means ex Sandstorm is more likely to have changing numbers than ex Power Keepers (which I believe does not).
Also, addressing your foreign card issue. Japanese cards are printed first, then the rest of the world receives them at a later date after translation. This can account for the differences in numbers between the Japanese and English/French yet the similarity between the English and French as the latter two were printed by the same company at the same time while Media Factory printed the Japanese ones separately and a lot earlier.

Okay so from my previous research on this, it seems that only the ex series have the changing numbers, and the farther down the line you go, the less chance of a set having changing numbers. So, this means ex Sandstorm is more likely to have changing numbers than ex Power Keepers (which I believe does not).
Also, addressing your foreign card issue. Japanese cards are printed first, then the rest of the world receives them at a later date after translation. This can account for the differences in numbers between the Japanese and English/French yet the similarity between the English and French as the latter two were printed by the same company at the same time while Media Factory printed the Japanese ones separately and a lot earlier.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. That also explains why I've only been able to find one code for Legend Maker Voltorb no matter where I looked and in what language (other than Japanese) So far, the max amount I've been able to find for commons is 4 codes including the RH. I still dont know yet if the RH code for the commons is exclusive, because I have not yet found an identical code for the regular version of the card.

Lastly, for the 1st editions in Japanese, I've only seen one code for those so far, but I dont have many Japanese cards yet.

Maybe 1st edition was sort of like RH's as there were a limited number of them, so they would only be printed with one code.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll keep researching, and I've asked someone with Japanese cards if they could help me out.

I'll bet if crazypokemon has some sheets from those sets, he can help confirm if repeated cards on those sheets had different codes of the same.

The different (I call them) factory codes exist for the sets from Ex Ruby & Sapphire up to and including Ex Delta Species (with the exception of Ex Team Magma Team Aqua). I have been chasing these cards for about 2 years now and are almost complete (only need 3 cards to complete). I have just finished scanning all the common/uncommon variants for Ex Ruby & Sapphire and Ex Sandstorm and I will soon add that info to the trading card section (called Ruilkaarten in Dutch) of my site www.pokemon-paradijs.com

For the commons there are indeed 3 codes and the reverse holo common has a single different code. The uncommons come with 2 different codes, the reverse holo has a single code being the same as one of the two normal versions.
For Ex Emerald/Unseen Forces/Delta Species only the commons have 3 different codes.

Last edited:
Holy cow! That is incredible! I will definitely take a look through those scans! Any chance you are planning on putting the uncommon and common variants up for the remaining sets? I'd like to use it to see what codes I need for my Voltorbs/Electrode collection.

I actually have your website included in the resources section on Pokebeach for foreign cards. Its a great website :)

Edit: I noticed that Holon Scientist from Delta Species has 3 different codes. I didnt check to see if the RH card has the same code as one of the regular cards though. Maybe you know why that is?

Last edited:
It will take some time to do those scans (because I'm completelty rescanning those older sets for better quality pictures and also scanning the reverse holo's).

As a small correction on my previous message: the variants go as far as Ex Delta Species. But, to my knowledge, the latest three sets (Emerald/Unseen Forces/Delta Species) only have different codes for the commons and not for the uncommons.

I have checked all the regular Holon Scientist cards I have and they all have a code ending on D4X (the reverse holo ending on 6BK). However on the internet I do find one scan with code 788 (on bulbagarden) ... (though almost every other scan I have seen also ends on D4X)

---------- Post added 03/05/2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

Codes for Voltorb:
DS 71 Holon's Voltorb: PNZ, 6JL, TRG
EM 71 Voltorb: QW1, 6XZ, E39
TRR 80 Voltorb: 40P, SQG, K3X
FRLG 85: Voltorb: 0UU, 5LR, B1B
HL 80 Voltorb: R66, VA5, CG3

It will take some time to do those scans (because I'm completelty rescanning those older sets for better quality pictures and also scanning the reverse holo's).

It's good to see that you're still active on the Pokemon-paradijs website.
I'm using it for years now, but recent sets have not been updated. So I was affraid you stopped updating the site.

So the sets Legend Maker - Power Keepers don't have the different codes?
Didn't know that.

Thanks for the codes :) I noticed that one code on Pokebeach as well. I wonder why its the only different one. Anyway, that also explains why I could not find another code for Emerald Electrode.

Do you know about the different codes for Japanese? I noticed that they are different, and I was trying to figure out if the 1st edition cards acted like the English RH. I'm wondering if they only have one code. Another thing I was wondering about those is if the cards from half decks or construction packs also have multiple variants of the codes.

Last edited:
I'm only interested in English cards (and dutch off course, but that's only base, jungle and fossil). So I don't know anything about japanese cards.

The reason for not updating for the last few months is very simple. I have had some serious back problems since may last year ... But I have just updated the site last week with plasma storm, boundaries crossed and dragon vault.

@TonySandin
Can you tell me the other codes for the Holon Scientist you have? And if you have any duplicates of other than the D4X code, I'm interested in getting those ...

I only see the ones that you told me about and the one that Pokebeach has a scan of. I dont know if the 6BK code is also on the non RH card, and if it isnt, maybe that is why there is a third code. I'll be doing more research on this and I'll be trying to get a hold of all of them for Voltorbs and Electrodes, so I'll let you know if I come across one you dont have for Holon Scientist.

There's a voltorb with 3P1C-F81L that you forgot about @TonySandlin

I know you're messing with me :D

---------- Post added 03/06/2013 at 11:57 AM ----------

As a small correction on my previous message: the variants go as far as Ex Delta Species. But, to my knowledge, the latest three sets (Emerald/Unseen Forces/Delta Species) only have different codes for the commons and not for the uncommons.

I have checked all the regular Holon Scientist cards I have and they all have a code ending on D4X (the reverse holo ending on 6BK). However on the internet I do find one scan with code 788 (on bulbagarden) ... (though almost every other scan I have seen also ends on D4X)

---------- Post added 03/05/2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

Codes for Voltorb:
DS 71 Holon's Voltorb: PNZ, 6JL, TRG
EM 71 Voltorb: QW1, 6XZ, E39
TRR 80 Voltorb: 40P, SQG, K3X
FRLG 85: Voltorb: 0UU, 5LR, B1B
HL 80 Voltorb: R66, VA5, CG3

So, for the sets before Emerald, the uncommons might have something like this : S3T (RH). S3T (Regular) and 2DF (Regular).

Whereas, Emerald, Unseen Forces and Delta Species would have something like this: S3T (RH) and 2DF (Regular). The regular card would not have an identical code that matches the RH card?

Then any set after that such as Legend Maker.would only have 1 code regardless? Like this: S3T (RH) and S3T (Regular).

Is this all correct?

That would make sense with what I found for Voltorbs and Electrodes, but that one Holon Scientist code is throwing everything off for me. Its in the set that should only have 2 codes, not 3 for uncommons. Unless its different for trainers?

I have just added the "factory codes" info for Ruby & Sapphire to my website (at the bottom of the page http://www.pokemon-paradijs.com/ruilkaarten/ex-ruby-sapphire.php)

As for the Holon Scientist: when looking at the image on bulbagarden I noticed that the image is quite perfect (exactly straight, evenly spaced borders, no shadow at the corners). This makes me think that the image on bulbagarden might be some kind of pre-released image instead of an actual scan of the card and maybe for that reason it has a different code. As said before: as far as I know in Delta Species only the commons have different codes.

For R&S the pattern is indeed code ABC and XYZ for uncommon (and energies) regular and the RH having one of the two codes. For commons the regulars have ABC KLM XYZ and the RH has a different code.

I have just added the "factory codes" info for Ruby & Sapphire to my website (at the bottom of the page http://www.pokemon-paradijs.com/ruilkaarten/ex-ruby-sapphire.php)

As for the Holon Scientist: when looking at the image on bulbagarden I noticed that the image is quite perfect (exactly straight, evenly spaced borders, no shadow at the corners). This makes me think that the image on bulbagarden might be some kind of pre-released image instead of an actual scan of the card and maybe for that reason it has a different code. As said before: as far as I know in Delta Species only the commons have different codes.

For R&S the pattern is indeed code ABC and XYZ for uncommon (and energies) regular and the RH having one of the two codes. For commons the regulars have ABC KLM XYZ and the RH has a different code.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for all the help on this subject. I wonder if maybe you are right on that card. It odd that it would break the pattern and you have never seen a real one with that code.

Now I'm just wondering about Japanese versions of the codes. I'll have to do a lot of research for it.

Back