Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Chandelure: Yay or Nay?

pokedan24

From plasma freeze.

Chandelure – Fire – HP130
Stage 2 (Team Plasma) – Evolves from Lampent

Ability: Flare Navigation
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a Fire Energy and attach it to one of your Pokemon. Place 1 damage counter on that Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

[R][R][C] Absorb Life: 70 damage. Heal 30 damage from this Pokemon.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

(I used the older translations).

I think it's gonna be good. It accelerates energy from the deck (best form). Late game, you can get that energy back with superrod. Some obvious partners are Reshiram, Rayquaza EX, and Entei EX. But another one that came to mind was Snorlax. This is a team plasma pokemon so it counts towards Snorlax's teampact while still providing an easier way to power it up. Moltress and Lugia/Tornadus EX can be added in as support pokemon. (Lugia or Tornadus if you decide to use more DCEs).

it's rather overlooked as it's a stage 2 energy accel that puts damage on pokemon as the "cost" - with all the fast hard hitting cards out there....so yeah.

I'm sure we'll see some toying around with this card, it's merely questionable if it'll have a big impact to the game or not.

Gigas EX could be interesting with it.....Snorlax is possible as well. I was thinking, like a few others, the BCR #28 Darmanitan would be a possible fun deck....

I call for Regigigas EX. It's such an overlooked card nowadays.

Regigigas could work, but you'd still need to take a few hits before doing big damage.

it's rather overlooked as it's a stage 2 energy accel that puts damage on pokemon as the "cost" - with all the fast hard hitting cards out there....so yeah.

I'm sure we'll see some toying around with this card, it's merely questionable if it'll have a big impact to the game or not.

Gigas EX could be interesting with it.....Snorlax is possible as well. I was thinking, like a few others, the BCR #28 Darmanitan would be a possible fun deck....

I think it will be tier 2. A deck that won't beat the plasma stuff, but enough people will play it to make it viable.

And darmanitan/Chandelure seems like a fun idea. I wanted to try something with Typlosion prime in unlimited, but no one was willing to trade them. This should be easier to get once the new new set comes out.

I'm going to give it a try, since Reshiphlosion was the first deck I ever played. I know, I know. It gets owned by Blastoise/Keldeo, but I don't really sweat it. I'm anxious to give it a run.

I would say Chandelure/Rayquaza ex will be a conteder for this format because of all the utilities the deck has to offer for this metagame. I know Chandelure/Reshiram are weak to Blastoise/Keldeo right now, but I feel that Rayquaza ex is good enough to give out the consistent pressure on water decks the same way Eels does now. Not to mention that Chandelure can one shot everything in the KK deck.

The consistency is in the opening hands are there, thanks to Litwick (Promo) can use call for family for 2 Pokemon, and can abuse beach very nicely. Also, Lampent NVI can lure out opposing Pokemon to stall for time if your into one of those situations where your in top deck mode.

Overall, it has potential when built properly.

^

Lampent from plasma storm can retreat for free if no energy is attached. And you can always tech in a ND Chandelure for a cheap attacker or spreader. It's very nice when a cards previous stages can be used in the deck like that.

@ Chompy: I like the idea of Rayquaza with Chandelure. Since Rayquaza EX discards Energy from its attack, one could use Super Rod to deck those discarded Energy only to be acceled back to Rayquaza EX. On paper, it's pretty solid.

I think the best bet is Rayquaza EX with Chandy or Snorlax with Chandy.

I actually think the Rayquaza version is simply a worse style of RayEels. Energy from the Discard is superior than Energy from the deck for Rayquaza. Also, the 10 damage will quickly catch up to Rayquaza and make them way too easy to KO.

However, I can see a Chandy/Snorlax deck run really hot and win a couple battle roads. Snorlax is an excellent card, if you can pay for it's cost. Well, Chandy gives us the first real opportunity to make that happen. To be honest, if Litwick/Lampent were Plasma Pokemon, I think this deck would be borderline broken. Because it would be really simple to get a turn 2 180 the majority of the time.

However, with litwick and lampent being non-Plasma Pokemon, the deck is looking at 180 on turn 3 or turn 4. That is still reasonable, but likely not quick enough to consistently beat the best decks out there.

It isn't bad, at all. It just happens to be in a format that is insanely broken. It has its use, and it will win some tournaments.

i would not play it with rayquaza EX. emboar works just as well and does not cause damage. but chandelure would work well with reshiram or white kyurem EX (PLS). so chandelure/ dusknoir/ white kyuremEX could work. another good thing about chandelure is it bypasses frozen city, which could be very helpful.

i would not play it with rayquaza EX. emboar works just as well and does not cause damage. but chandelure would work well with reshiram or white kyurem EX (PLS). so chandelure/ dusknoir/ white kyuremEX could work. another good thing about chandelure is it bypasses frozen city, which could be very helpful.

You're not bypassing much using Chandy in this way though.

I feel Chandy is slightly better than Emboar.

Attaching from your deck is better than attaching from your hand. It increases better draws by thinning the deck. It can also usually help with the "crucial N drop" as it will prevent you from drawing energy if you have been using the power the entire game.

I also think Chandy has a MUCH better attack and retreat. The downside is the obvious one, the damage counters. But lets be real, how bad is that really? Nearly everything OHKO you, so much does it truly matter? Also the ability to place damage on your pokemon creates more skilled plays and the ability to abuse certain tech cards to gain an edge that Emboar could not.

I think it's gonna be surprisingly effective with White Kyurem EX, and that particular skeleton can be relatively lightweight which would let you TECH a bit too if you want.

The nice thing about White Kyurem ex is you can use it as a wall to take hits like a sponge. Sure, it may take 4 energies to pull it off, and you do need to run some water energies in order to make it work. It also OHKOs Rayquaza ex and Black Kyurem ex for a solid 200, due to weakness.

The thing thats really cool about the Chandelure deck in general is it can thin out your deck really quickly between Litwicks CFF and Chandelure's PS ability, so you'll be able to draw the cards that you need later on.

Back