Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BDIF - Thunder/Kyurem/Deoxys ; Too Good; Needs Stopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see where OP is coming from. The main problem I have with the deck from a meta stand point is the outrageous damage output that is often seen on the first turn. Getting hit for 90 damage on the first turn by a Thundurus or Kyurem happens more often than should be allowed. If something along those lines don't happen then games tend to open up and become more enjoyable against most decks.

How can we stop this monster of a deck? With tournaments going on everywhere currently..it's literally 95% of the deck I see. Just crazy.

That's why it's winning. Majority in your area is playing it. Odds are that deck will top with that many people playing it. Here, there was only 2 players with the deck, and they ended up 3-2. Top was Darkrai(?)/Kyurem Lando Garb/???/Klink

Not BDIF. Just the most popular one(especial thanks to thedeckout!).

Stop whining, start thinking.

Read the thread in its entirety next time.

No whining at all. But your random outburst really moves this thread along.

Please read the thread in its entirety next time; there is some discussion going on, but plenty of whining. :lol:

How can we stop this monster of a deck?

The same way we do every night Pinky, by taking over its world! By which I mean breaking it down and striking at the strategy it uses to win.

The deck lacks stamina; this has been established by those more credible than myself; if you can just hold on, the deck runs out of steam. This is the "simplest" solution, but hardly the easiest.

Daring players are striking at the deck's Item based support with Magic Room decks making a comeback; no Hypnotoxic Laser, no Pokémon Catcher, no Team Plasma Ball/Ultra Ball, no Switch/Float Stone, no Colress Machine. That first (and possibly second turn) hit still hurts, but after that, you've got Items down [DEL]and something that can OHKO Deoxys EX. If you keep up the lock, your opponent can't prep a Deoxys EX without you seeing it coming.[/DEL]

Actually, we have Otaku failing to research something he hasn't even seen, let alone run first hand. Apologies for the severe edit, but in case someone who didn't know I was making a fool of myself was reading, I was stupid and didn't take the all of two minutes it would have taken to verify that the Gothitelle decks that are winning? They aren't just Gothitelle decks, they are Accelgor/Gothitelle decks; Gothitelle is never meant to attack.

There is also Type-matching, discarding Special Energy cards, and shutting down Abilities... which all can conveniently fit in a single package. No, you can't hit every Weakness effectively, but you should be able to build a Garbotoxin deck that can lead with either Landorus EX and/or Cobalion EX. I regularly had to defend Deoxys EX early on from those selling it short because Mewtwo EX would hit it for double damage, but as we learned X-Ball falls just a bit short of a OHKO. If your metagame is so thoroughly Plasma Basics, then it probably is worth the effort of working in Mewtwo EX anyway, and just remembering to plan ahead for the "shortfall".

This thread has lead to some other good suggestions... so why don't I see it positively?

There is a saying: "There is no such thing as a stupid question." Not sure if I agree with it, but there definitely is such a thing as "Asking a question in a stupid or misleading manner." and that is kind of how this thread comes across.

With tournaments going on everywhere currently..it's literally 95% of the deck I see. Just crazy.

It is called "Pokémon", where this is S.O.P. A set gets released, and usually whatever is most hyped gets played a crazy large amount. Pokémon with an affiliation (Gym Leader, Team, etc.) are almost always popular. This is a deck that uses the two poster-mon for the set, which happen to be big, Basic Pokémon-EX. Most of us saw this coming from a mile (1.6 kilometers) away. :thumb:

Kyurem T1 Spear with Deoxys boost half the time is just wild..Thundurus stacks it's bench..

I run Darkrai and I'm telling you..one bad hand and I have no chance.

There are how many Darkrai EX variants? Speedrai has pretty much always suffered this problem, while other variants were less sensitive to it but pretty much any deck in this format has this problem. A bad hand is almost always a death sentence this format unless your opponent's deck also chokes. Plus it is a bit funny since your complaints about Plasma Basics decks are the same complaints we heard about Darkrai EX decks when it debuted.

It's so fast and has so many options. Plus that damn Lugia lol.

Is this deck so good it might possibly kill the meta?

The answer is so obviously "no" that it makes it apparent this was a joke whining thread. If you want a serious discussion thread, while you can still crack some jokes you shouldn't start with such hyperbole. Plus while it won't do much good until it gets here... next set should have the Team Plasma counters Japan already has, for those that don't want to experiment with what we've got.:lol:

Last edited:
How can we stop this monster of a deck? With tournaments going on everywhere currently..it's literally 95% of the deck I see. Just crazy.

Kyurem T1 Spear with Deoxys boost half the time is just wild..Thundurus stacks it's bench..

I run Darkrai and I'm telling you..one bad hand and I have no chance.

It's so fast and has so many options. Plus that damn Lugia lol.

Is this deck so good it might possibly kill the meta?

TDK/Plasma Box is a great deck, but not unstoppable. I also run Darkrai-Sableye and currently have a winning record (4-2) against players running this deck. Also, big basics with Garbodor deck is showing some progress against the TDK too (but I'm still fine tuning that deck).

Also, 1 player went 6-0 at a recent BR tournament where I believed he faced at least 3-4 TDK/Plasma Box decks. And my friend ran a completely rogue deck too (which I choose not to name in case he plans to run it at Nats).

This thread indeed served its purpose, and the structure of it was the only way to get these kind of responses. Success on my part. Community came together and had some solid input, except for the self defined elitist in the thread.

Whining and being ridiculous is two seperate things. Especially since I have TDK in a deck box right beside me. As I've mentioned before.

I do hope you indeed type up another novel response.

The counter deck here has been Cobalion Landorus and Garbaor. I played it yesterday but found the deck boring.
I also found that this combo does not do well against Blastoise-BKEX decks either; so, I ended up revising my Landorus-Mewtwo-Tornadus list to include Garbodor. After revisions, the deck is now more competitive against an expected wide "field" of decks.

Otaku said:
and something that can OHKO Deoxys EX. If you keep up the lock, your opponent can't prep a Deoxys EX without you seeing it coming.

This clearly shows you have no understanding of the Magic Room decks that have popped up, and your TL;DR posts should never be taken seriously by any players as they aren't from someone who pays competitively.

The Gothitelle decks take very long to set up, but since they only run 4 DCE's, they have no way of OHKOing any Deoxys EX, and it isn't even a threat because Gothitelle NEVER has any energy attached to it so its damage output is a measly 60 which is a 3HKO.

This clearly shows you have no understanding of the Magic Room decks that have popped up...

Yes. You explain my mistake later in your post. Thank you.

...and your TL;DR posts should never be taken seriously by any players as they aren't from someone who pays competitively.

If they are too long and you never read them, then how can you know? :wink:

You have a good point; I must be careful not to overstate my case or comment beyond my means, practices I engage in regularly.

The Gothitelle decks take very long to set up, but since they only run 4 DCE's, they have no way of OHKOing any Deoxys EX, and it isn't even a threat because Gothitelle NEVER has any energy attached to it so its damage output is a measly 60 which is a 3HKO.

...and my arrogance reveals my folly; I could have easily double checked to see exactly what deck was using Gothitelle. Instead I chose to skim and thus assumed it was an Accelgor deck backed by Gothitelle... and just because I am too ignorant to recognize that is what Gothitelle means, doesn't change anything.

Instead I just focused on how you can't use Colress Machine while Gothitelle is Active, so the remaining Energy acceleration options for getting Deoxys EX ready with a single from-hand attachment would telegraph Deoxys EX coming. Instead of that protecting Gothitelle, it simply becomes a matter of Deck and Cover and managing the timing. Unless I missed something else? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Team Plasma is certainly top tier but by no means is it BDIF. Darkrai and Blastoise give it heaps of trouble (and vice versa), and if Accelgoth gets going, it's over too.

Big basics can go toe to toe but Plasma comes out slightly on top due to exploiting weakness. Plasma vs Eels varients fall here too - keeping control of the board means you can come out on top against Eels, and the fact that Eels varients are very predictable helps a lot.

Lol @ Uneducated threads.

So, in short, play better.

Last edited:
The Goth/Accelgor decks in our area make it so that you can never attack again by using Dusknoir + Laser. You just keep adding more damage counters and transferring them to anything on the bench, wiping out the bench one Pokemon at a time until you're almost done and you can knock out the active for game. I saw a Plasma deck with a bench full of Deoxys and Thundurus completely fall apart and it was ahead 6-1.

It's a very deadly deck, and not be underestimated.

Practically every match up in the format works the same way, it isn't exclusive to Darkrai.

Darkrai is not the only deck that can OHKO the Pokemon in TDK (or Darkrai for that matter): Blastoise, Eels, TDK itself. They don't need the snipe either.

The ones that can't are generally playing a different kind of game (Goth Lock, Klinklang).

Darkrai is decent vs TDK, but it by no means destroys it and is prone to slow starts (ironically) when it just whiffs on the cards it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back