Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

And you thought US Nationals was your last chance for Championship Points...

I love the fact that this only gives out points. It gives people with below 200 points way less of an incentive to join, while giving more people the chance to qualify for worlds. TCPi and Play! Pokemon have been taking massive leaps towards trying to please the players more this year, and it most definitly shows.

Remember, as a player, your actions and behavior affect my, and my teams decisions about future events and rules. Don't make me sorry we decided to award points past 4th place.

Prof Dav

Lay the smack down, Professor Dave--you are my new hero! This is most certainly a nice gesture from TPCI--people, don't blow it.

First of all, I love the idea for the tournament, who wouldn't appreciate more chances at earning their Worlds Invite?

But I would like to echo the opinion that players with <200 Championship Points should be prohibited from entering the event. The very name of the tournament "Last Chance for Championship Points" makes the purpose of the tournament quite clear: to get Championship Points, which serve no purpose other than qualifying players for the World Championship.

I think it's easy to predict that between thousands of players and only 256 entrants scrambling for points in a Single Elimination tournament, we'll see some shenanigans (friends entering solely to boost friends' chances, bribed concessions, etc.) and hurt feelings, and I'd hate to see players blamed for simply acting like human beings. (Do we really need to hand out more player suspensions?)

And if someone is looking for an event to play on Sunday, there are Side Events going all day, with prizes too!

Now, if there are some kind of plans for an LCQ event at Worlds that awards points in a similar fashion, it is possible there would be reason for a player with <200 points to participate in this event, as they might hope to qualify by earning points at both the Nats and Worlds Last Chance events. But even if that is happening, I still hope some kind of adjustment to deter friends from entering just to manipulate the event. (For example, perhaps you could maintain the same 200 CP requirement as some players might consider it unfair for a player to earn their invite solely by performing well in these two Last Chance events, anyway.)

Last edited:
The Swiss (and all of Europe where there is OP last I checked, cause I was there during CC season last year) also get airlines such as EasyJet and RyanAir that allow air travel to other countries in order to participate in more tournaments than the ones held in their own country for prices as low as 10 Euros.
I don't know where you checked but a plane ticket would never be 10€, unless you choose the airports that are the farthest from tournaments, thus you would need additional transport costs. Expect more like 80€ at least for all the trip, more often than not something near 100-120€.

Actually, people in Europe mostly travel for ECC and when the travel time in car is nearly 5h at most (more often 1-3h). Car stays the cheapest way to go, unless you travel alone.

Last edited:
Biggie and Dave,

Part of the goal of letting players with less than 200 compete is that they can make the event challenging. However, are Championship Point awards the only prizes on the line, or do those players with less than 200 still have a a tangible reason to compete? I would assume so, because otherwise they would feel less obliged to take this event seriously, drop at a moment's notice, use weaker decks, etc. Some modest prize support would help mitigate that issue.

Lastly unlike the actual National Championship itself, this event is not restricted to residents of the US only and there are countries out there where a player can earn an invite at 200 points as well. Who knows, maybe we will get some long distance challengers? :thumb:

I actually like this part of it!

This is why sub 200 CP players can play!

But I would like to echo the opinion that players with <200 Championship Points should be prohibited from entering the event. The very name of the tournament "Last Chance for Championship Points" makes the purpose of the tournament quite clear: to get Championship Points, which serve no purpose other than qualifying players for the World Championship.

If we were to decide to limit it to 200-399, we would reduce the overall attendance cap to 128 or lower, and we would have only awarded points to the T2 or T4 players.

Jason....so as part of your opinion above, are you saying you would endorse this smaller tournament with smaller rewards?

I don't know where you checked but a plane ticket would never be 10€, unless you choose the airports that are the farthest from tournaments, thus you would need additional transport costs. Expect more like 80€ at least for all the trip, more often than not something near 100-120€.

Actually, people in Europe mostly travel for ECC and when the travel time in car is nearly 5h at most (more often 1-3h). Car stays the cheapest way to go, unless you travel alone.

I specifically said where I checked, Ryan Air and EasyJet, and I also mentioned I was in Europe last year, competing in tournaments and actually attended the ECC and got 7th place in it, as the only non-European there. So why don't you try reading a post fully before replying to it?

Or you might tell which trips were at 10€ because I never got a trip with Easyjet for less than 30€ one-way, and I live in Europe since more than just one year.

More and more injustice towards Mexico and Canada being considered for the same Worlds qualifications as the U.S. I'm happy the U.S. gets this and triple Regionals and all that jazz, but when will TPCi change the Worlds entry fee for Canada and Mexico which do not have the same tournament structure as the U.S. but have to go through the same hoops to earn an invite?

I pretty sure any Mexico doesn't get Regionals, and I know we can attend 3 a year, unfair yes, but I'm sure It gets every other tournament we get (CCS, BR States, Nats). If I am correct, Your PTO ran more Spring BRs then my PTO. Not sure if it's all with in your area though.

Source: Play Pokemon

Also yeah the Nats side event thing is totally unfair for foreign players, unless they somehow they can go.

Last edited:
Yeah Mexico got 5 States, and the US equivalent would be being able to attend States in New York and in California. Not very feasible even if they're different dates right?

Yeah Mexico got 5 States, and the US equivalent would be being able to attend States in New York and in California. Not very feasible even if they're different dates right?

Here is the difference. Mexico has very small OP in the first place. with, according to Pokemon.com, 91 Masters Division players who have earned CP in an official tournament, and 2 of those above the 400 CP threshold (I think Mexico has to have 400 not 200, if it's 200 there are 6 qualifying players) thats 2/91.
In America, 45 Masters have their invitation out of the 1802 Americans who have earned points at all. Put into decimal form Mexico has 2/91 or 2% of their players. America at 45/1802 is at 2% as well. Incidentally about 6 people in Mexico could benefit from a LCCP Tournament (3x their qualified players) and 151 Masters could benefit from a LCCP Tournament in America (again about 3x our qualified players).
Mexico's problem isn't that P!P is ignoring them or not giving them chances at Worlds, the simple fact is that Mexico doesn't have enough players to get more OP. I don't necessarily think USA should be the only country to get these benefits but I definitely understand why P!P would not give it to Mexico until they have a much greater player base. JMHO

The description says:

"tournament for players who are seeking those last few points to earn a Worlds invitation"

If you have under 200, you are not a player seeking those last few points to earn a Worlds invitation. So the tournament is not FOR you. So why are they allowing players in who the tournament is not FOR? I totally understand the argument people are making to limit this to those who the description says this tournament is intended for- those who are seeking those last few points. Which would be players who are within 200 points of an invite.

Jason....so as part of your opinion above, are you saying you would endorse this smaller tournament with smaller rewards?

Yes, absolutely! Top 256 with awards for Top 16 or Top 128 with awards for Top 8... it's the same thing, except with the latter you won't have as many shenanigans and hurt feelings. (An alternative of Top 128 and less points is an option, too.)

I did just read too that it is possible for someone outside the U.S. to play and earn an invite with <400 points (requirement for U.S.), so let me clarify the event should be limited to players within 200 points of an invitation, rather than simply those that have 200 points.

The description says:

"tournament for players who are seeking those last few points to earn a Worlds invitation"

If you have under 200, you are not a player seeking those last few points to earn a Worlds invitation. So the tournament is not FOR you. So why are they allowing players in who the tournament is not FOR? I totally understand the argument people are making to limit this to those who the description says this tournament is intended for- those who are seeking those last few points. Which would be players who are within 200 points of an invite.
....unless you're from a country whose invite requirement is less than 400 points? the tourney IS open to all...

....unless you're from a country whose invite requirement is less than 400 points? the tourney IS open to all...

Next time I will make the former portion explicitly clear:

The description says:

[DEL]If you have under 200[/DEL]If you are not within 200 points, you are not a player seeking those last few points to earn a Worlds invitation. So the tournament is not FOR you. So why are they allowing players in who the tournament is not FOR? I totally understand the argument people are making to limit this to those who the description says this tournament is intended for- those who are seeking those last few points. Which would be players who are within 200 points of an invite.

That's why it says "which would be players within 200 points of an invite"

If you are not within 200 points of an invite, then you are not a player "seeking those last few points to earn a Worlds invitation"

This event is "for players who are seeking..."

So, if you are not within 200 points, the tournament is not FOR you. The argument that the only people who should be allowed to play are players whom the tournament is FOR is sound.

Back