Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Canadian junior national championship report

jaymz

Hello my name is James L-Y and this is my first report. I’m a juniors player from Vancouver B.C.

This year I haven’t really done well in large tournaments. But in the smaller tournaments like Battle Roads I got 3 firsts and 5 seconds and 1 third place and a couple of 1st places and 2nd places in cities. I still needed 185 more CP for worlds so I had to go top 4 in nationals.

Last Saturday was the start of TCG Canadian national championships in Toronto. I decided not to play plasma because I was still not certain about all the tricks of the deck so I decided to play darkrai because I have played it since hydreigon was released and before I played pure speed darkrai. So I decided to play the darkrai I built by looking at other lists and I was very comfortable with it because it was what I used at the start of the year till now.

SATURDAY Swiss:

39 juniors, 6 rounds.

Round one – Ethan w/blastoise. It was a good game for me, I set up easily and the game was over before he set up. Sadly he dropped after this 1 game which meant I had to go 5-1 because my resistance would be terrible. It ended up as 48.61%!!!

1-0

Round two - Aidan w/plasma. I had a little trouble setting up fast and had lots of dead draws. He had some strange cards like Latios EX. I’m guessing that he didn’t have the complete deck. He wasn’t making good use of his cards and I finally got cards to get the win.

2-0

Round three – Thomas w/big basics. This was my worst game of the day. Tomas started his active with a Landorus EX and his bench was Bouffalant. My active and bench was Absol and he hammerheads 60 and 30. My turn I draw nothing. I attach to bench absol to load up then pass. He draws and ko’s my active absol. My turn I’m excited to draw a juniper and play it and then I draw no basic Pokemon or search so gg.

2-1

Round four - Lucas w/blastoise. It was a tough game but in the end I won. We were both set up, and I was careful with my plays. I don’t have much to say about this game.

3-1

Round five – Jackson w/stuff with 2-3 Sygiliph. Another interesting deck with cards I wasn’t expecting. Nothing I remember to say about this one. But I won.

4-1

Round six - Xieus w/Plasma. I knew I had to win this game to make top cut. Xieus had a really cool custom playmat and we started. This was probably the hardest game for me. Xieus is a very good player, I set up fast enough but he wasn’t far behind but in the end the power, speed and consistency of darkrai payed off.

5-1!!! :pokeball:

I made top cut!!! I felt really happy and tons of the BC players came and cheered for me. I knew I had to win 2 more games to make top 4 and earn my invite.

After I finished swiss I ran down escalators with April and Joey while we waited for masters to finish their swiss rounds. At about 8 we got food, had a quick swim, and I was really tired, so I went to bed.

SUNDAY Top Cut :

1 Jackson,
2 Johnny,
3 Thomas
4 Niko,
5 JAMES!!!!
6 Xieus,
7 Noah,
8 Tristan

Game one round one – Niko w/Plasma

Whole game he only gets 3 plasma energy on the field. I just set up and win!

Round two

We both get our energy and we just play. I lead in prizes, he uses Kyurem to take out a Darkrai, but I come back with an Absol, claw, laser to ko him for the win!

2-0 (6-1)

YES! I got my worlds invite!!! Now I was a bit nervous for my next match, because Jackson is very good and had tons of CP.

Game two round one - Jackson w/Blastoise

We just start and all goes well until he gets Blastoise then it’s really hard on me but because he has an almost full bench I just use mind jack and late game I use Darkrai. In the end I beat him!

Round two

He starts and gets a turn 2 Blastoise. We play a bit more but he was way too fast and i can’t setup and I lose. So I get a little worried because I realized that who wins next makes top two.

Round three

We play I kill you and you kill me. After a couple of turns we both have a few prizes left he retreats to stall a turn and he uses plage tropical. I send up sableye to junk hunt 2 catchers. He goes and comes up to kill sableye and then I come up catcher and mind jack for the win!

2-1 (7-1)

Top two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m so excited.

Game three the finals me playing Xieus w/plasma

Round one.

We play. I set up I win. As simple as that but at times it was difficult because he was starting to setup. I Win!

Interesting techs: I notice in this round that Xieus ran the lando promo.

1-0

Round two.

We moved tables to be filmed. Our game is on youtube so you can see it.

We play and it’s close but Xieus was able to set up and beat me. L

1-1

Round three we play very well but I remember some possible mistakes I made in the game. I could have missed a chance with a laser and claw for a 1hit ko. A couple turns later he needs 3 or 4 more prizes and I had spread damage all over the place and he plays colress machine and looks at his deck a few times and gets no plasma energy, the he scoops. He had no way of winning and his search showed him that. And there’s my Nationals 1st place win!!!

2-1 (8-1)

Yaaay !!!

Prizes are 2 boxes 1 play mat trophy and invite.

On my way back to Vancouver we transferred planes to leave the airport at 6:eek:o rather than 7:30 but sadly that plane was delayed because of some technical problems and when the plane started rolling out the captain said that they needed to go back for a completely different problem. And then a little later than 10:00pm we were transferred to a different plane and that’s what gave me time to write this tournament report.

Jaymz Out !! :pokeball:
-----------------

Congratulations James! You played very well! You should be proud of your win! It was a great idea that you stuck with what you were comfortable with.

You do realize that I am going to have to spell your name that way from now on, right?
Congrats on your win! You deserve it.

Back