Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PTCG sales slip according to ICV2

Status
Not open for further replies.
ICv2 never gives exact numbers. The rankings are based on, essentially, surveys of retailers in various locations across the US. They survey enough stores to get a fairly accurate estimate of the relative rankings of TCGs.

ICv2 never gives exact numbers. The rankings are based on, essentially, surveys of retailers in various locations across the US. They survey enough stores to get a fairly accurate estimate of the relative rankings of TCGs.

It would be nice to know how they are doing compaired last quater/year not in compairsion to other tcg's

Yes, it would. Of course, even if the numbers are down we also need to account for a variety of other factors. For all we know the TCG is doing better than it ever has... taking into account things such as disposable income available to purchase the product e.g. people may be buying fewer frivolities (and sales could be down for such things across the board) but TCGs as a whole could make up a larger chunk of that market, with Yu-Gi-Oh (still confusingly) outselling relative to Pokémon.

I think Pokemon, along with magic and yugioh, are the three trading card games that won't go under if TPCi, WOTC, or Konami did something really dumb to drive off sales.

WoWTCG is sort of joining the club, but not fully in the club. If WoWTCG made some minor mistakes, then it wouldn't go under, but if made a major big one, the game is done. Pokemon TCG on the otherhand, if TPCi did a major mistake to drive away sales, it would just be unpopular for a while, and then the popularity will rise again.

At least that's what I think.

Games like Kaijudo and CF Vanguard can't afford to make mistakes, considering they are brand new and all.

I also find that the newer TCG's, that just started tend to not have a release pattern, and sets are just released whenever. WoWTCG does have a release pattern in that it releases 3 sets a year, but they don't release them in the same time each year.

We have Magic that releases a core set every july, the first set of the block every october, second set in february, and third set in may. Duel decks are released every march and september, FTVs in august, and a supplemental product in June.

Yugioh, same thing. Boosters in January, May, August, and November. Structure decks in February and October, and Starter decks in the middle of the year.

Pokemon too. February, May, August, and November are their booster releases, and they seem to release a bunch of box sets in which they have some sort of a release pattern, but I am unsure if it really is a pattern.

Now, the reason why Pokemon, yugioh, and Magic releases 4 sets every year is because of comparing sales figures to previous years sales figures. Well at least that is WOTC's explaination why they decided to release coldsnap and eventide, and change the biannual core set release to an annual one. It is kind of hard to compare sales when you release 3 of something one year, and 4 of something another year, so now, it means that these 3 TCG's are past the being established stage, and are on the making as much money as possible stage.

In video games, on the other hand, when companies are establishing themselves, they tend to make quality games, and are in it with the fanbase, but when they start going mainstream, and or in the point where they are making money, and any mistake they do won't destroy the company, unless it is a series of mistakes of course, then they start to do the cash grab, and make the same game over and over, and target those who don't realize that they are paying for the same game. This couldn't be said for TCG's though, well I do kind of feel like I am paying for the same experience when I buy more cards though.

As someone who has dabbled in the dark arts and played some Yu-Gi-Oh! (And works at a card store)

The last 2 expansions for the game have been game breaking in comparison to Pokemon's.

They introduced 2-3 new archetypes into their format, as well as additional support cards. We sold a case of YGO every few days.

As for Pokemon, PLS didn't have much of an impact on our format aside from HTL and EXs brought minimal gameplay value. PLF on the other hand, we were selling 2 cases a week.

It's been more content of the sets, rather than marketing.

Pokemon also follows the game, and we didn't get Plasma cards until most people had beaten the game and were just grinding teams, rarely seeing Team Plasma. Now everyone's attention is on X/Y and we are still getting new Plasma Cards. Plasma cards should have been sprinkled in throughout the sets when Team Plasma was still relevant.

I can imagine quite a sales hit if when X/Y gets released and is at maximum buzz for a few months the card game just tries to sell old Pokemon, and worse, old reprints.

Yeah there's no doubt that X/Y will make a huge impact. Brand new Pokemon, possible type, and hopefully a revamp of the games direction.

It's what we're waiting for.

Go historical...we have always seen a dip in the last year before a new series release year.

No worries in the STL. Just trying to catch the younger players!!!

Vince

Anyone else find it ironic that Sawsbuck, a Pokemon with a legitimate reason to have 4 different cards, has less cards than Pokemon like Mienshao and Mandibuzz of types that are plentiful in the Unova 'dex?

Obviously some are somewhat unavoidable if they wanted to continue featuring Unova Pokemon (which is fair enough, IMO, given this is the first generation to ONLY feature 1 region, excluding the first) given the low amounts of types like Fire, Ice, Ghost (and yet we've never gotten a Ghost Jellicent?) and Rock in the Unova Pokedex. (Rock gets it especially bad since it also requires reprinting Plume/Cover Fossil if they decide to include a new Archeops/Carracosta, just leaving Gigalith, Crustle and Terrakion, and they don't seem to actually like Gigalith or Crustle as Rock-Types. <Crustle gets a lot of Bug-Type cards, but has only ever had a single Rock-Type one, and Gigalith is surprisingly underrepresented, his full line having only been printed twice. Three of each stage exist, but one Gigalith was a promo and the "corresponding" Roggenrola/Boldore were from a deck.>)

I forgot all about the Sawbuck/Deerling thing. They even brought the Hail Blizzard cards forward, releasing them in English in the season depicted on the card, then nothing after that.

They made autumn Deerling for the Everyone's Exciting Battle deck, but not Sawsbuck, and it's questionable if we'll ever even get the Deerling now. >_> Ghost-type Frillish and Jellicent would be nice, particularly if they put the female forms in the foreground, since every card of them has been Water-type with the males in front.

Well, when Plasma Storm was the newest set I watched 3 people buy a box of cards in one League meeting. Counting all the singles bought that day as well, we purchased 3 and a half boxes in 4 hours not too long before the next set was due to release. I don't think Pokemon is hurting too bad. I mean, Yu-Gi-Oh! still has the anime going, and while Pokemon does as well, Yu-Gi-Oh! is a show about the cards. I can only imagine that helps sell the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back