Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Competitive Pokemon Mega Evolutions

I like Mega Kangakhan. It seems to be doing well at my school next to Mega Mawile. The most OP set seems to be Power-Up Punch, Earthquake/Return, Sucker Punch and Fake Out.

Ok, good comment. I feel your opinion is a valid one. So which mega in your opinion is worth it to change up the game?

Not really sure quite yet, as I'm just starting to toy around with teams. Mega Kangaskahn and Mega Mawile seem pretty good as previously stated. Mega Banette getting Prankster and Will o Wisp is also very interesting. Mega Gyrados is also pretty interesting with how it becomes bulky, and still retains enough speed to use Dragon Dance to great effect. It really all depends on your team and how they can support each other.

As much as I loathe their redundancy for Singles, Mega Abomasnow and Mega Tyranitar could be pretty brutal in Doubles IMO, being able to reactivate their abilities after Mega Charizard's Drought. (Mega Abomasnow becoming even slower is certainly frightening with TR)

I find Mega Gyrados very very interesting-bypassing Rotom's Levitate to EQ it and Aromatisse Aroma Veil if it wants to taunt it. (not 100% on the later, if someone has tested it to confirm it that would be great. But I'm 80-90% sure) Plus, it gets rid of that nasty horrific x4 weakness to Electric. Mega Kang and Mega Mawile are more suited to "good-stuffs" teams and are pretty versatile. I think Mega Banette with Prankster Taunt is niche but can function well on a TR team, just eats your Mega evo for the game. A suggested move-set would be something like Will-O-Wisp/Taunt/Knock-Off/Sucker Punch, Protect or Shadow Claw. Mega Charizard Y is alot more powerful under the sun than I expected but I haven't seen that many in action.

The problem with M-Gyarados is you give up a lot of what made Gyarados good. Resistance to Grass, Fighting, and immunity to Ground. You Mega-evolve and suddenly that Mach Punch is a lot more threatening. Plus weakness to Fairy? Additionally, Gyarados has a huge variety of items it benefits from. Lum Berry, Sitrus Berry, Life Orb, Leftovers, Shell Bell... all gone if you want the Mega.

For comparison:

Gyarados:
Weaknesses: 2
Resistances: 5
Immunities: 1

M-Gyarados:
Weaknesses: 5
Resistances: 6
Immunities: 1

Not saying it doesn't have uses, and Mold Breaker is an undeniably good ability, but it requires a LOT more careful playing/scouting for threats.

Back