Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Need a new deck for Regionals - help

Well, over the past few weeks/months I've been searching for a deck that's right for me, and nothing seems to be succesful for me. I try to play Trubbish/Sigilyph, and people just use Tool Scrapper against me. I try to play Plasma variants, and people use Silver Mirror against me, also I can never get the rhythm right. I try to play Darkrai, and I can't seem to manage my resources right. I can't play any of the Stage 2 decks, since I can't afford Beach.

What exactly does this leave me with regard to decks? The game just isn't fun anymore to me, but I don't feel like quitting.

- Croatian_Nidoking

Both blastoise and rayboar can work without beach. Last time I played rayboar and borrowed beaches I only ended up using them in one game and I went 4-2. And with plasma you can add tool scrapper, or use genesect ex's red signal to get around the mirrors.
But if you still don't like those options you could try garbodor and friends (big basics + garbodor). It sets up pretty quick and does solid damage.

Where I'm from going 4-2 really doesn't net you any prizes. I need something really competitive. And you can't always rely on Scrapper or the big purple bug to be there.

Also, what exactly is in a Big Basics deck again? Been a long time since it's been popular.

- Croatian_Nidoking

Well, over the past few weeks/months I've been searching for a deck that's right for me, and nothing seems to be succesful for me. I try to play Trubbish/Sigilyph, and people just use Tool Scrapper against me. I try to play Plasma variants, and people use Silver Mirror against me, also I can never get the rhythm right. I try to play Darkrai, and I can't seem to manage my resources right. I can't play any of the Stage 2 decks, since I can't afford Beach.

What exactly does this leave me with regard to decks? The game just isn't fun anymore to me, but I don't feel like quitting.

- Croatian_Nidoking

Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyerum
RayBoar
Virizion/Genesect
Plasma Box Variants
Tool Drop
Darkrai/Garbador
Darkrai/Hydregon
Darkrai/Sabeleye
Empoleon/Dusknoir
Gothitelle/Accelgor

The format is very diverse right now, any one of those TEN (10) decks have a great shot at doing well at regionals. Every deck should have some strategy of playing against every other deck listed (including the mirror match), there is no wrong choice.

Deck Choice is moot, Skill of the player will decide who does well at Regionals.

Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyerum
Deck Choice is moot, Skill of the player will decide who does well at Regionals.
You're kidding.... right?

Matchups and luck (yes there is still some - it's not chess) are also very much a part of this game, as well as player skill.

...and just exactly how does one gain skill, again? Especially in a rapid amount of time....

- Croatian_Nidoking

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?181207-Thinking-playing-etc-like-a-champion/

You're kidding.... right?

Matchups and luck (yes there is still some - it's not chess) are also very much a part of this game, as well as player skill.

I stand corrected, Skill, Matchups and Luck is key. Any one of those decks I listed in my previous post can win provided the player is skillful, they prepare for all matchups and luck goes their way in terms of coin flips, top decks and favorable match ups.

^ ...other than pointing back to my own thread :p ? I don't really take too kindly to smart-aleck remarks.

Also, how does one prepare strategies vs. metagame decks. Say, could you pick one of the 10 decks you listed and list basic strategies vs. the other 9?

- Croatian_Nidoking

^ ...other than pointing back to my own thread :p ? I don't really take too kindly to smart-aleck remarks.

Also, how does one prepare strategies vs. metagame decks. Say, could you pick one of the 10 decks you listed and list basic strategies vs. the other 9?

- Croatian_Nidoking

Pick a deck, build at list and then test using PTCGO or PlayTCG. Then you can work out a strategy about different matchups when you play. It helps to have a basic understanding of how the deck works.

eg.
Plasma - Preferably open with Thundurus, attach a basic lightning energy/prism/blend WLFM. Your main attacker is Kyurem, which Thundurus and Colress Machine with power up. Deoxys EX gives +10 attack power to plasma pokemon per deoxys.

Most stuff you have to work out yourself. Everyone can't do everything for you.

That's a pretty good Darkrai/Garbodor list. Is RR/Bicycle really faster and more reliable than Skyla/Colress?

Also, I would practice more at PlayTCG/PTCGO, but they don't seems to have any levels in between "make way for the king's garbage" and "oh my goodness, my brigade's going to be annihilated". I wish I could find someplace where I could practice at a level where I could be challenged, but not feel like I'm getting my butt kicked. That's what holding me back.

- Croatian_Nidoking

That's a pretty good Darkrai/Garbodor list. Is RR/Bicycle really faster and more reliable than Skyla/Colress?

Also, I would practice more at PlayTCG/PTCGO, but they don't seems to have any levels in between "make way for the king's garbage" and "oh my goodness, my brigade's going to be annihilated". I wish I could find someplace where I could practice at a level where I could be challenged, but not feel like I'm getting my butt kicked. That's what holding me back.

- Croatian_Nidoking

If you're worried about constantly getting beaten then I recommend PTCGO. It doesn't have many experienced players so you shouldn't be too worried about getting beaten

Well then, why is it that losses always get me down and never get anyone else down? I'd really like to learn to lose with grace. It's holding me back.

And I still haven't the foggiest notion as what to play at Regionals!

- Croatian_Nidoking

my personal favorite is plasma klang(plasma klingklang) it has a very strong match up against blastoise because keldeo EX and black kyrum EX can not attack any of your Pokemon due to klingklangs plasma steel ability, suicune PLB can attack, but cobalion Exs steel bullet attack prevents all effects on the defending Pokemon, this includes suicunes safe guard ability.
It also has a strong match up against genesect verizon because genesect and verizon are both Pokemon Exs, boffulont DRX can attack but its buffer ability dosent work on cobalion EX cuz of steel bullet, also steel bullet 1 hit Kos boffulont DRX, it can also 1 hit KO absol thats used in darkrai decks.

my personal favorite is plasma klang(plasma klingklang) it has a very strong match up against blastoise because keldeo EX and black kyrum EX can not attack any of your Pokemon due to klingklangs plasma steel ability, suicune PLB can attack, but cobalion Exs steel bullet attack prevents all effects on the defending Pokemon, this includes suicunes safe guard ability.
It also has a strong match up against genesect verizon because genesect and verizon are both Pokemon Exs, boffulont DRX can attack but its buffer ability dosent work on cobalion EX cuz of steel bullet, also steel bullet 1 hit Kos boffulont DRX, it can also 1 hit KO absol thats used in darkrai decks.

The problem with PlasmaKlang (and I do like playing the deck) is that it's lost the ability to shift Energies from one Pokemon to another, and IMO that's what made that deck shine (pun intended?). Now it's just a Darkrai-esque deck with no Energy acceleration, and I think that's key.

- Croatian_Nidoking

Well then, why is it that losses always get me down and never get anyone else down? I'd really like to learn to lose with grace. It's holding me back.

And I still haven't the foggiest notion as what to play at Regionals!

- Croatian_Nidoking

Everyone feels a little down when they lose, but when you play a game you acknowledge the fact that you have the chance of losing. For me, I hate losing and feel like I have failed or did something wrong whenever I lose. It's just who I am and I have to deal with.

However, try not to beat yourself up about it especially when your testing. That's the whole point if testing: Find what's wrong with the deck and make it better. Remember you can't win everything and at least make the game run for yourself. Contrary to Calhoun it's not all about the game, but how you play the game and enjoy it.

So, can anybody pick a good Beach-less deck for me based on the results of the past few Regionals that isn't Plasma or Darkrai (both of which I'm clumsy at)? Time's running out for me to train up....

- Croatian_Nidoking

Back