Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lack of Promos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeNturist

How come it seems that compared to Japan, we seem to have a lack of non-product related promos? Distributing promos in more ways than just packaging them with a product seems like a great way to drum up interest in collecting.

Interesting theory.
A lot of people actually dislike the fact that Japan does the distribution like that.
The reason being that if you can't make a specific event, go to a certain store, buy x number of merchandise or y price of sales, you don't get that promo(s).
eg) For the newest Pitch's Pikachu you need to be a kid to receive this promo. It is a sort of [DEL]discrimination[/DEL] (I'm not a huge fan of that word in this case) against the older collectors who obviously won't be part of a children's league for soccer. More like a disadvantage.
eg) For the newest Darkrai promo, you need to go to the Pokemon Center on April 19th, and spend around 800 JPY on cards/card-related merchandise to receive that promo.

Now in Japan, it might be easy to go to a Pokemon Center, since they are so bountiful, and even if you don't have one in your city, they are not that far, only a train ride away. Whereas if they had a promo here in North America for instance and you were only able to receive them at Toys R Us, Target etc, the majority of people would be able to receive them but not everyone...

However, that being said there will always be promos that not everyone will be able to get, but I feel as though they try and make our system here more fair, so that the majority you can get without having to go on specific days, or spending x amount of money.

But we do have promos like that. Tournament promos (for attending, staffing, and winning), league promos, 'being a professor' promos, player rewards. They just aren't black star promos, which makes it entirely more fair.

I remember WAY back when Target food courts were giving out promos, nobody even knew that thing was going on.

"promo" is short for "promotional." There is some thing that the card is promoting. League promotional cards you get from being at league. Worlds promotional cards you get from being at Worlds.

To address the question, why should (not) every collector be guaranteed a reasonable chance at a promo card, what is a "reasonable chance"? Are you saying that if I do not go to worlds, I should still be able to get the worlds promo card--a card meant to promote the world championships--by another method? Are you saying that if I do not go to league, I should still have a chance to get BW100 (alternate art N)--a card meant to promote league play--by another method? Or are the events themselves the "reasonable chance" and by not attending the collector gives up that "reasonable chance"?

Why shouldn't every collector be guaranteed a reasonable chance?

As much as I would like to have one of each unique Pokémon card in English, I know that cant happen. But the chase is what makes it fun. Once I was able to trade for a staff nationals promo. That was cool. But some cards like the top worlds finishers place cards will always be out of reach, you just have to accept it and try to make your collection has complete as possible, even if that means eating a lot of happy meals in a two week period of time.

I would hope we could get some League Promos for Mew/Landorus since that product never got distributed to the U.S.

I imported the Mew, but looks like Landorus had a VERY small print since even in EU online stores it went OOP very quickly. The price keeps climbing on eBay as well.. Still waiting to have a cheap one pop up!

I do not think all promo cards should have the same rarity.
Just because a card is released as a promotional item doesn't mean that card should be reasonably easy to acquire.
This isn't difficult.

I like the fact that some promos are worth more money than other promos. That is only true because they are rarer.

Last edited:
I disagree - if the card is a promo, it is to promote the game so limited access 'promos' make it hard to promote the game

For me, it doesn't matter. With the internet, even some of the more rare stuff becomes accessible to people whom otherwise might not have been able to obtain that item in person. Of course, certain rare cards last years before hitting the market, but It's the thrill of the hunt, more so than how easy something is to get that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back