Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire: Discussion/Speculation

Benzo

Front Page News Editor<br>Forum Moderator
So- with new games around the corner and some possible new stuff on the way-

Who can't resist a bit of speculation or hears rumors?

This is where we can stick all that sort of discussion for now, because, we all know that as the time draws closer to new games- there is speculation and rumors abound.

Whether it is real (which will get "filtered out" in time, but- let's just toss around some simple discussion and maybe have a bit of fun in speculating what we can see or will have in the up coming games Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire:

so...................... I think it would be awesome to have the return of:

Secret bases
on-line underground spelunking
and- some 7th Gen Pokémon to expand on balancing out the types a bit more as far as numbers go.
A town in the game that is on-line wi-fi interactive where you can battle, trade, and do a few other things that the town is really a "live" town- where players actually "visit" in the town and can interact with players like walking around a real town is.

What do you guys think?
What would you like to see?
Ideas?

Feel free to speculate or express what you think will be in the next games!

Last edited:
Well I want to see a Mega Pidgeot and the one thing everyone would care about is faster surfing. What would be cool is a overworld flying mode. I would like more good move tutors. Would be nice to visit all regions. However this is wishful thinking. We all know its going to be more of the same, just another 40 buck game where we get 8 badges and fight bad guys.

Hey, you never know, maybe it'll be a 50 buck game where you can get 16 badges and fight bad guys? LOL.

Yeah, I'd like to see the return of secret bases, mind you, I'd like to see more content there. It would be nice to be able to call up people from your secret base and have a battle, call up your "friends" from your friend code and do a mini safari game, or a catch-em-all competition, or maybe use that base as an avenue to call up pokemon from an earlier game. It would also be cool to make more use of farming berries - maybe even underwater berries where you have to fend off certain pokemon that love to eat them, and the use of underwater caves. Perhaps even more content after you learn how to climb rocks, and dive? I doubt this would happen, but it would be nice to see the use of cross-breeding, and more of the mechanic that made Black and White Kyurem. I'm sure on the average, most current pokemon game owners will jump at the chance for another adventure, but this could be a game with so much more than the standard - using online capabilities as well - possibly making it into the facebook of the pokemon world. How about maybe giving previews of who your next gym battle will be with, and what kind of battles you'll face there, so you can catch specific pokemon to help you out if you so desire. How about level of difficulty instead of just playing the game as is? How about letting a pokemon follow you through the game (or not) if you desire, a la pokemon yellow? And if you do end up letting a pokemon out of it's pokeball, when another pokemon touches it (instead of you), you can battle, or talk as well. Better communication between you and your pokemon .... how about fatigue like another person suggested in another thread? How about finding bully pokemon that you have to try to tame? Bully trainers that you have to try to liberate their pokemon from? How about the return of dark pokemon?, and maybe even the birth of a new type of pokemon - light pokemon? Pokemon X and Y brought the fractured pokedex - how about doing a rock/paper/scizor thing with this pokedex so that regardless of what type the pokemon is, they have a minor advantage over another specific region (as an explanation maybe there's just something in the water in a particular region, and something else which gives a disadvantage to another region). How about bringing back more time of year and weather effects? How about bringing in a map where you aren't constrained to going down a specific path but can wander aimlessly from any point of the compass - but only with the right conditions. There would be certain obstacles that you would need to learn to overcome - like brambles that poison YOU and your pokemon if you try to go through them where you need a specific pokemon in your party to either eat the obstacle or heal you and your pokemon, fences that you need a Gogoat for, and the usual high wall or water crossing that you need the requisite moveset to overcome. That way you could learn where you need to go by your experiences - if you wander into an area that has significantly higher level pokemon and your pokemon all faint you go back to your last pokemon center and choose a different path. Eventually you still will need the 8 badges to challenge the pokemon league. How about more tm's and the ability to use 5 moves instead of 4? Button combo moves? How about instead of turn based moves, you have the option to use the speed of the reaction of the player to base the attack on - such as if the player is quick to input what would normally be a slow move, it still attacks before something like Extreme speed, or Quick attack, due to the fast input of the attack. How about continued use of the Horde mechanic - possibly expanded to being able to catch more than one pokemon at a time if you have enough of the right pokeballs to do so - or maybe even one or two of the horde pokemon with slightly higher stats or levels, or the ability to flee. How about fitness based experiences as well - for example, if you treat a pokemon well, and make sure it's used a lot, it makes a better companion and more useable pokemon in battle, but if you don't feed it regularly it becomes underweight and it's stats suffer, or overfeed it and less exercise and it becomes too slow and the stats suffer. We've already seen some customization for trainers with outfits and accessories and such, but how about customizable music selection, and the ability to listen to your own music in your travels? And how about more rewards - possibly even more usable in-game items, collectable badges or certificates for achievements? How about wider results and outcomes based upon your responses to the game? Addition of more puzzles. No matter how this goes, I just hope they take advantage of any opportunity to make it a really great game.

Great but straining post PA. That post is why I consider Gold and Silver the best of the series. It had a lot and did everything right for its time, with HGSS using the updated system. I expect the "core" of RS to remain he same but improved on, like the secret base. It would be nice to see difficulty to return to the game. Removing something like a poisoned pokemon taking 1 damage every 4 or 6 steps or the hunger system from the PMD game changes the game on a large scale. It's a small change but affects gameplay because you can take your time and not have to deal with the "timer"

Rather than use the same system of collect badges and fight the bad guy, why not do something different? I heard somewhere they GameFreak was looking to change the battle system. Would be nice to see it.

Last edited:
I know one thing, I'm gonna breed up the best darn Mawile I can, here on my pokemon X game so I can use it on ORAS.

Yeah, and it would be nice to see secret bases in more than just underground places. Trees, buildings, under water ... all viable.

how about using Fly to go up onto a cliff edge and have a secret base there?

Ok, so we now know that secret bases are definitely returning. We just need to know a bit more about them.

Heard that mega Metagross is confirmed. Don't know the source. I hope so since I really like that pokemon.

^ confirmed through Coro Coro leaks. But I'm excited, as Metagross has always been a favorite of mine, and a mega form for it is sweet. I don't particularly care for the design (mostly because it looks pretty lazy on their part, just flipping over the legs and giving him a pointy goatee), but eh, you don't use a Pokemon for looks, but for how good it is.

One source says the mega ability will be Tough Claws...kinda hoping not honestly. Ok, it makes sense for him given the mega form pic, and it makes him a more fearsome sweeper especially since he can't be intimidated at the start, but what he - really - wants and needs is Levitate, especially since it gained 2 more weaknesses with the whole Steel type nerf this gen, so subtracting 1 is the least they can do.

That design looks scary. Not sure why pokemon that dont need any boost are getting megas. Since Metagross is getting one, we can pretty much assume Mightyna is getting one. I also hope Zangoose gets one. Its needs the boost.

That design looks scary. Not sure why pokemon that dont need any boost are getting megas. Since Metagross is getting one, we can pretty much assume Mightyna is getting one. I also hope Zangoose gets one. Its needs the boost.

Megas Garchomp and Scizor says hi, though that is kind of moot since they're rarely used over the base form anyways.

Megas Garchomp and Scizor says hi, though that is kind of moot since they're rarely used over the base form anyways.

I look forwards to them. When that Garchomp evolves and that base 102 speed drops to 80, I can get a free kill with Zapdos. Scizor has always been a free kill for me, even more so when my opponent didn't play in or understand GEN 4 and 5 meta.

On a side note, Expert Belt Zapdos has been working really well for me.

well-

One thing that can be said about "should this pokemon be a mega evolver or not" is that when you look at the numbers is:

718 pokemon
18 types
the total number of pokemon in a type
the number of dual type per the 18 single types
the number of non-eligible VGC pokemon
the number of base stat battle worthy pokemon that can really be used in VGC
the move sets available for said VGC worthy pokemon
abilities that are actually worth using in the VGC
the hold items that are worth using in VGC
and the number of pokemon that can go mega--

something will need to happen to raise the number of actual pokemon that can participate in the VGC out of the pokemon that don't fit the VGC scene criteria level of what is considered to be battle worthy if we are going to see a change in the meta.

just as an example with no real numbers tossed in for factual but for reference:

lets say there are only 700 pokemon (just rounding down for simplicity)

of the 700, say 200 are not able to participate because they are legendary.

300 of those pokemon have such low base stats and pointless abilities that they have no real use in the VGC based upon the competitive level of what the VGC requires to be able to stand a chance in a competition level.

50 mega evolve, but only 25 actually are worth VGC battles

50 have such a bad dual typing and horrible move pools that makes them not able to stand a chance due to one too many weaknesses yet do have decent base stats to try to compete but are too frail to battle compared to the remaining pool of battle worthy pokemon.

50 pokemon have what it takes to compete- yet fail to pair nicely with other pokemon to make a strategy worth trying to use in the VGC.

your looking at perhaps 75 battle worthy pokemon, which these are the pokemon that will determin how the meta game goes.

something other then giving pokemon the megavolution is needing to be done, or the game state of the VGC will be IMO "stale"-

let's hope that with the new games, some pokemon will get better base stats and better abilities to open up the VGC scene to a better playing state then just getting more megas and not a higher pool number to draw from for better battle strategies.

edit---------------------

I personally would love to see the number be at least 400 out of 700 be able to be battle worthy for the sake of mixing up the strategy options to break the meta's current state for the future of the VGC scene. This way there is little room of seeing the same pokemon be on the over used list for each coming year.

Sure, there are those pokemon that work well for getting you through the game story mode and all, and makes it possible to beat the gym leaders and getting around and catching and breeding-
but it seems rather saddening that only so many pokemon make it to be VGC worthy and only the higher base stated pokies with abilities that make them the only option for battles at that level.

Last edited:
Thats the point of the weaker pokemon getting Megas, so they can be useable. Mawile had no use at all and it randomly gets a Mega though I think thats due to it getting new typing. Most of the Pokemon that got Mega's did not really need them so Im hoping some unique Pokemon get them this time around. Would love to see Mega Zangoose but seeing Mega Metagross saddens me a bit because I know the powercreep will grow stronger.

Well, to be honest, we don't know how Metagross' stats will be affected, so getting to be a mega may not necessarily be a blessing. It's just more of a guess at the moment.

Based on the art, I can tell its attack stat is going up. Based 135 to like maybe 160ish. We can assume its not getting weaker for sure with its mega. It may see a special stat drop or a dual 4x weakness. It may change to dark/metal or psychic/dark.

Back