Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Latios-GX's Clear Vision GX vs Keldeo's GX's Pure Heart ability (translation problem)

MeloD1231

Recently I played a game on ptcgo. I was playing Mewtwo & Mew GX while my opponent was playing Keldeo GX.
To prevent being one-hit knocked out by Keldeo GX, I used Clear Vision GX from Latios GX. Later on that game, my opponent was still able to use Keldeo's GX attack.

1. Pure Heart: Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokemon by your opponent's Pokemon-GX or Pokemon-EX.

2. Clear Vision GX: For the rest of this game, your opponent can't use any GX attacks.

I was so confused about how Pure Heart ability can block the effect from Clear Vision GX therefore I made some discussions and research with players in my livelihood. We found out that there has been a translation problem with Japanese Version and English Version of Clear Vision GX.

Japanese Version of "Clear Vision GX": この対戦が終わるまで、相手のポケモンはGXが使えない。

Translating it to English Version, it will be "For the rest of the game, your opponent's pokemons' GX attacks cannot be used."

The bold words means "opponent's pokemons", which means that Japanese Version of "Clear Vision GX" clearly targets on opponent's pokemons but not the player himself, therefore can be blocked by Keldeo's ability. It has been proved in some Japanese Rulings.

However in the English Version, Clear Vision GX affects "opponent" but not his pokemons, therefore I think that it should not be blocked by Pure Heart.

Sorry for making my description so bulky.

Back