Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Compendium Updates for May 7th, 2020

PKM4

Compendium Publishing Assistant
Last edited: Thursday, May 7th, 2020
(Added May 7th Rulings)

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

This edition of the Rulings Compendium includes:

|
|
* March 19th, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* March 26th, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* April 2nd, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* April 9th, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* SW02: Rebel Clash Errata (April 16, 2020 TPCi Rule Changes announcements) --
* April 16th, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* April 16th, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* April 23rd, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* SW02: Rebel Clash FAQ --
* April 30th, 2020 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --
* May 7th, 2020 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ERRATA

META-RULINGS

POKEMON ABILITIES

== FIELD RUNNER (Cinderace V - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. What happens if Cinderace V with the "Field Runner" Ability is in play while Galar Mine is also in play?
A. Cinderace V would have no Retreat Cost. When effects that increase something like Retreat Cost by a particular amount are stacked on top of effects that make something like Retreat Cost vanish, the vanishing effect takes priority. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== IRON DEFENSE FORMATION (Falinks V - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. When using Falinks V's "Iron Defense Formation" Ability or Falinks' "Team Attack" attack, do I get to count any Falinks V I have in play too?
A. Yes, because Falinks V has "Falinks" in its name. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== MIND HAT (Hatterene - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. Can I use Hatterene's "Mind Hat" Ability if I don't have any cards in my hand? Or if my opponent doesn't have any cards in their hand?
A. As long as either player has a card in their hand, you can use Mind Hat. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== TOP ENTRY (Lampent - SW:Rebel Clash; Lombre - SW:Rebel Clash; Luxio - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. If I draw a Pokemon with the "Top Entry" Ability during my first turn of the game, can I put it onto my bench right away?
A. Sure, but remember you must do this BEFORE it gets into your hand. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If I have a Pokemon with the "Top Entry" Ability in my starting hand at the beginning of the game, can I put it onto my Bench?
A. No, you may not. In order to use Top Entry it has to be drawn from your deck at the beginning of your turn, but your turn has not started while you're setting up at the beginning of the game. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

POKEMON ATTACKS

== CALL FOR FAMILY (Gossifleur - SW: Sword & Shield; others)

Q. Am I allowed to use Gossifleur's "Call for Family" attack if my Bench is already full?
A. You can use the attack, but since it's public knowledge that you can't put any Pokemon onto your Bench the entire effect of the attack fails; you can't even search your deck. (Supreme Victors FAQ; Aug 27, 2009 PUI Rules Team; May 7, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

***** PREVIOUS RULING: THIS ONE HAS BEEN OVERRULED; See Above *****
Q. If my bench if full can I still use "Call for Family" to search my deck?
A. Yes, you could search your deck, but not put out any Pokemon. (Supreme Victors FAQ; Aug 27, 2009 PUI Rules Team)

== COUNTER (Cinderace VMAX - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. Does Cinderace VMAX's "Counter" attack do extra damage if Cinderace VMAX goes to the Bench and then returns to the Active Slot?
A. It doesn't matter where Cinderace VMAX was when it was damaged during your opponent's last turn, nor whether it has switched in or out of the Active Slot. If it was damaged by an attack during your opponent's last turn Counter will do that much more damage. This is not an effect to be removed when the Pokemon goes to the bench. Counter is performing a game state check asking if something happened; since it did, it uses that game state information to calculate how much damage Counter will do. (May 7, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== FIGHTING FANGS (Boltund - SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. Are Pokemon VMAX considered as "Pokemon V" for the purposes of Boltund's "Fighting Fangs" attack?
A. Yes, Pokemon VMAX are always considered to be Pokemon V. (May 7, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== GYRO BALL (Bronzong - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. What happens if I use Bronzong's "Gyro Ball" attack but I don't have any benched Pokemon?
A. You have to switch Bronzong if you are able to; the "if you do" part refers to when you have no Benched Pokemon. So if Bronzong doesn't switch the opponent's Active Pokemon doesn't switch either. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== MINING RUSH (Diggersby - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. When using Diggersby's "Mining Rush" attack, can I discard cards one at a time or do I have to discard them all at once?
A. You may discard cards one by one for Mining Rush and stop any time before you reach the maximum amount specified in the attack. You do not have to declare up front how many cards you're going to discard. (May 7, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== NINE-TAILED SHAPESHIFTER (Ninetales V - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. When using Ninetales V's "Nine-Tailed Shapeshifter" attack, do I need to have the correct amount and types of energy that match the opponent's Active Pokemon’s attack that I'm choosing?
A. No, you do not. You only need the energy required by the Nine-Tailed Shapeshifter attack. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== TEAM ATTACK (Falinks - SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. When using Falinks V's "Iron Defense Formation" Ability or Falinks' "Team Attack" attack, do I get to count any Falinks V I have in play too?
A. Yes, because Falinks V has "Falinks" in its name. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

TRAINER CARDS

== BOSS'S ORDERS (SW: Rebel Clash)

* Lysandre and Boss's Orders cannot be included in the same deck. This is similar to the rule that says Professor Juniper, Professor Sycamore, and Professor's Research cannot be included in the same deck. (Apr 16, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== GALAR MINE (SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. What happens if Cinderace V with the "Field Runner" Ability is in play while Galar Mine is also in play?
A. Cinderace V would have no Retreat Cost. When effects that increase something like Retreat Cost by a particular amount are stacked on top of effects that make something like Retreat Cost vanish, the vanishing effect takes priority. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== LYSANDRE (XY: Flashfire)

* Lysandre and Boss's Orders cannot be included in the same deck. This is similar to the rule that says Professor Juniper, Professor Sycamore, and Professor's Research cannot be included in the same deck. (Apr 16, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== SCOOP UP NET (SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. When playing Scoop Up Net, do I put all Pokemon stages into my hand or just the Basic or highest stage?
A. You put all of the Pokemon cards into your hand, including all Stages if applicable. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== SONIA (SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. When using Sonia can I get one Pokemon and one Basic Energy card?
A. No, you can get up to two of one kind or the other; you cannot mix & match. (Rebel Clash FAQ; Apr 30, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== VOLKNER (SM: Ultra Prism)

Q. Can you get Speed {L} Energy with Volkner?
A. No, you cannot. Speed {L} Energy only counts as Lightning Energy when it is attached to a Pokemon. (May 7, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

ENERGY CARDS

== SPEED ENERGY (SW: Rebel Clash)

Q. Can you get Speed {L} Energy with Volkner?
A. No, you cannot. Speed {L} Energy only counts as Lightning Energy when it is attached to a Pokemon. (May 7, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

GENERAL GAMEPLAY

== V POKEMON

Q. Are Pokemon VMAX considered as "Pokemon V" for the purposes of Boltund's "Fighting Fangs" attack?
A. Yes, Pokemon VMAX are always considered to be Pokemon V. (May 7, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Back