Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Anyone interested in running events(including leagues) at Wal-Mart?

dld4a

Feature Writer
Anywhere in the US. I'm not saying this can or will happen. I'm just would like to get a gauge on the availability of people who would be interested should it become a possibility. So all you professors who are looking for a chance to get Professor Points LMK. And all you current TO’s looking for more/better/different places to operate LMK.

Team Cook out of The Woodlands TX run their league @ a Walmart. They are very successful & have high attendance. If you need help or ideas maybe you should contact them.

tecdecs said:
i would like to do it, but IL is kinda far from CA.=(

dld4a said:
Anywhere in the US. I'm not saying this can or will happen. I'm just would like to get a gauge on the availability of people who would be interested should it become a possibility. So all you professors who are looking for a chance to get Professor Points LMK. And all you current TO’s looking for more/better/different places to operate LMK.

mewsmom said:
Team Cook out of The Woodlands TX run their league @ a Walmart. They are very successful & have high attendance. If you need help or ideas maybe you should contact them.

Yea Team Cook has been a big help in demonstrating what can be.

I'm trying to get leagues/tourneys in Wal-Marts across the country, not just in one. I've got that. Just trying to encourage everyone else to go in the same direction + I'm working it from a couple of other directions (can't say what yet). Basically I'm trying to think big.

I'm not a professor, but when the league starts up here in jacksonville/OP i might look into talking to some managers(i know some people ;D ). as of now, nothings out here, but maybe in 3+ months OP might have wal-mart leagues running.

dld4a do you work for a Wal-Mart? Or did you learn that has Wal-Mart changed their policies about clubs such as the Pokemon League being held at their stores. Basically can you give any details to what you are hoping to do?

For me I thought of trying to get a Pokemon League started in Cheyenne, WY however there have been no avalable candidates to support it. Wal-Mart I tried back when the Battlezone league was about to premiere however they said it was not in their corporate policy. Maybe things have changed since then.

mysterioustrainer said:
dld4a do you work for a Wal-Mart? Or did you learn that has Wal-Mart changed their policies about clubs such as the Pokemon League being held at their stores. Basically can you give any details to what you are hoping to do?

For me I thought of trying to get a Pokemon League started in Cheyenne, WY however there have been no avalable candidates to support it. Wal-Mart I tried back when the Battlezone league was about to premiere however they said it was not in their corporate policy. Maybe things have changed since then.

I do not work for Wal-Mart. I shouldn't go too much into this so I'll just say that I have had some expirences that lead me to believe that this type of thing may be posssible in the future. I'm working it from a couple of different angles so I can't go into too much detail. The more people who say here that they may be interested in doing something like this in general, it may help to increase the chance of getting something worked out. If we can demonstrate a willing infrastructure then that's one part of the puzzle handled. There are no gaurntees but let's keep our fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I am definitely interested since I just started a league in Charleston, SC. I am really looking for a place where we can run league and get some exposure to bring players in. I am working with a local player and before now there was nothing on the east coast of SC. As a matter of fact I just found a new Wal-Mart that will be opening soon that is close to our current league location. I think this would be just the thing we need to really get this off to a quick start!!!

I live in Walmart City USA... Bentonville, AR... I don't like Wal-Mart, but that's just me. I think a game store is a more appropriate place for a league, but you're right, Wal-Mart WOULD get more attendence...

Last edited:
dld4a - Usually I agree on alot of your topics but I'm sorry but I have to disagree on this topic. If all we are looking at is attendance then yeah probably Walmart Leagues would even get larger attendance then even Toys-R-Us did back in the heyday just because the majority of shoppers with kids and now that Walmart is officially the #1 Toy retailer in the US.

I strongly support the idea to have Leagues/Tournies/Demos whatever relating to gaming held at your local Game Store. Now some may not have a local Gamestore in rural areas but have a Walmart close by. This definately needs to be a corporate decision made by PUSA. Will they allow Leagues/Tournies at Major retailers? While it may make sense in those instances it really diminishes the role of your local gaming shop. Look at NYC for instance, Walmart is not allowed to build in the City at this point in time so do they get excluded from this? I know I may be jumping ahead on this one but I see this as a major dillemma if we allow Leagues/Tournies being held at major retail locations. I know that other gaming companies such as Wotc frown upon this and even encourage their Delegates not to even visit those large retail stores such as Walmart, Target, TRU, etc.

This is probably not the area for full discussion but I personally would not run a League/Tourny at a major retailer such as Walmart. And like others have said nothing against Walmart because we shop there too but not for TCG supplies.

Last edited:
JB- Competition is always good in the long run. Ask the small coffee shops who have seen a boom in business because of the increase of popularity of Starbucks. I know that sometimes smaller business' have to close their doors when a chain store moves into town but this is usually a result of the small business not doing what it takes to compete (but let's not get into a discussion about business economics here please). That's not an exact analogy because it's a different type of business, but there are examples that demonstrate what I mean. I believe that their is so much room for expansion in the popularity of this game as to make it possible for both small card shops and large chain stores to run events and thrive, even in the same towns. We can't ignore the tremendous potential growth the large chains could bring to this game. A rising tide lifts all ships.
Dave II

Back