Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lameness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before everything gets a little 'Heavy'.........

How about Plan B......any trip that fall outside of T8 comes to me!!.......hold on, hold on this is a good plan ppl!!

Here is why:

1, I can promise that not one single Japanese player will win anything!

2, The first and last Beer is on me! (you better be able to drink lots as I decide when its time for the last beer lol)

3, I promise to donate my winners Trophy (yes of course I would win!) to a good cause.

Ok ok....so #3 is a dream but #2 is cool with me (coke for kids though lol)

But #1 is a 110%........I will bring over binders and binders of stuff to make the Japanese players drool and dribble sooooo much that they will be queuing up for days on end to want to trade for some of my goodies......then I will only trade for their decks (thus leaving them with nothing to play with) and anyone that refuses to trade automatically gets a spiked #2 (see above) that will make a tongue stick to the roof of a mouth for 48 hours.

Before I get any incoming over this being a racist post etc......its not T'is just for fun.......well except for the 'give me the trip' bit.....that should happen lol.

Mozz

Last edited:
Nades said:
Only 1 trip was passed down in Philadelphia, not 2.

Not sure which age group we're talking about, but I know for a fact that 2 trips passed down in the 11 - 14, as the 1st and 2nd place finishers already had trips, so they went to 3rd and 4th pace finishers...

and I vote for Mozz' plan lol!!!

Broken Lizard said:
I liken this situation to team sports. Some teams end up with an easy schedule, others with a tough schedule.

If you are unlucky enough to be in a highly competitive metagame or large market area, you're at a disadvantage compared to someone in a rural area with few players. Similarly, if you are in an early Regional, then you stand much less of a chance at a trip than you would in a later one.

There is no way to make the playing field 100% level in any competitive environment.

That said, I am confident that next year's Challenge Series will include a "win one and done" clause. There will thus be no 'trickle down' of trips, because the players who have already won a trip will be ineligible to play. That will please some people even as it angers others.

There are two absolute truths here:

1) Life is not fair.

2) You can't please everyone.

That said PUI has done an excellent job with the tournament season this year.

They have done a great job this year, and attendance at the events has been really high. I'm glad that they will be getting rid of the 'trickle down' trips next year. The regional near me was on the first weekend, and there weren't any trickle downs. Other places, that are too far for me to travel to, have theirs the last weekend and have multiple trickle downs in multiple age divisions. Plus the same people are winning the Scholarship money and getting the buttload of prizes. They do deserve it for winning multiple times, but it is Pokemon and the prizes should be spread around as much as possible.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the reason for this system is in part to ensure that a predicatable number of trips/accomodations are won, therefore keeping PUI's expenditures within certain limits (granted, higher limits, but more stable limits nonetheless).

Remember folks, at regionals, the prize was not JUST a trip to world's, but scholarship money and the title of regional or National champion.

Would you prefer that the trips, if won by someone who already had one, just go to waste? What if you were that person who finished 5th behind 4 regional winners. Would you not accept the trip if it was offered to you?

If the people who had won the trip already were not allowed to play, then, if the 3rd or 4th place finishers had less competition, then it might be reasoned they had a higher chance of finishing in the 1st or 2nd place position.

I do understand the frustration though...

Clay M

DarkLordSigma said:
It is about having fun, yes, but some of us also have our own agenda. When I went to SE Regionals, I had fun. It was my first Modified irl tournament, and I was glad at how well I had done. However, I was looking at Regionals as a way to get back into college...and I came darn close to the top 8 cut...but in my final game I lost to a guy who was rushing, and while he recieved a warning, the damage had already been done. Needless to say, it hurt even more to see that guy take 1st.

My point is this. Sure, the idea is to have fun. But, in large-scale events where the stakes are high, it hurts to lose a shot at something that others end up recieving through less-than-conventional means.

It is your responsibility as a player to inform the opponent to slow down or to call a judge and request the opponent to slow down if you cannot process what is occuring in the game. When you approached the judges you were bitter that the opponent in question used Pidgeot's Quick Search, Rare Candied, and Evolved, something you didn't expect and therefore considered rushing. That was not rushing. If the opponent you played with was rushing then you would be constently harrassed to finish your turn. We did inform the player to slow down in the future since you had some problems understanding the game state, but that player was not penalized. It is your responsiblity to raise your concerns with a judge when they happen and it your own responsiblity to comprehend the game state. If your opponent was obstructing your access to understand public game state information that would be another issue, but your opponent was not rushing you.

I talked with you about this on AIM before I fully knew the situation and I know that you talked to the other judges about this. Your personal issue was resolved at the event and we spoke with your opponent. If you have a specific problem with any of our practices you may contact [email protected].

Several dozen people fought tooth and nail to make it so that if you won an event in a specific Championship Series this year, you wouldn't be able to play in another event in that series. The issues that were raised by this group have come to fruition...every single one of them. Hopefully PUI will get the message this time by seeing the proof in the pudding. The more people that win, the better it is for the game as a whole. I can't count on both hands and feet how many "hate" posts there were from people having their States "ursurped" or who were knocked out of finals due to people who have already won top prizes at other Regionals and missed the trickle down point.

Under either system you're giving away the same number of trips. The only place you'd run into problems is at the Gym and National level since Regionals, Gyms, and Nationals are not considered the same series of events. Attendance is up and prizes are improved overall. That's good, but there's still room for improvement (standardization, software, etc).

Last edited:
So, what's the difference between a trip 'trickling down' to the next player who doesn't already have one, and one player in your particular circle of friends who already has a trip conceeding in t2 or t4 to another one of said circle of friends who doesn't? Other than the trip _this_ time is going to who you consider to be an 'undeserving random'? :rolleyes:

Wasn't the same argument being made when it was suggested that once someone wins a trip they're done with competing in subsequent events? That the player pool in the later events wouldn't be as 'strong' since previous winners were excluded and that later winners would be 'less deserving' of the trip? =/

Sounds like it all depends upon who one is and who one is friends with, if this is 'acceptable' or not...=/

'mom

Last edited:
Personall if it was my thread, I'd ask for it to be locked, or you invite stupid comments like mine here and now: I think I deserve a trip as well. I figure I'm one of the best players in my area. Not to say I haven't been beaten, but I find it hard to attend premier tournaments out of my area due to the cost, and the time involved. Why do I have to go out of my area? Because 9 times out of 10 I'm head judge in my area. or TO. I do my best to have an honestly run, fair tourney, but you can't stop anyone from playing that wants. Sure life isn't fair, otherwise, I'd be seeing you at worlds. Good luck to you, but geez, I honestly think you should grow up and realize not everythng will go exactly the way you want.

There are two valid solutions (besides trickle-down), both of which have problems:

1. Hold everything on the same day.
2. Don't allow trip-winners to recompete.

By deciding NOT to tricke-down the other prizes (scholarship, etc), you end up with players running around the country trying to gobble up the winnings. Certainly, I see NO problem with those players doing exactly that--I know I would. Scholarship money is GREAT!

But, by not trickling down the scholarship, you end up with something like Pro Magic or VS -- top players running to every possible event.

IMO, Pokemon has become a bit more Pro-like. That's good for the top players and not so good for lesser and/or unlucky players.

So Matt, I can empathize with your frustration about inequality due to trickle-down. What would you have PUI do?

SteveP said:
There are two valid solutions (besides trickle-down), both of which have problems:

1. Hold everything on the same day.
2. Don't allow trip-winners to recompete.

By deciding NOT to tricke-down the other prizes (scholarship, etc), you end up with players running around the country trying to gobble up the winnings. Certainly, I see NO problem with those players doing exactly that--I know I would. Scholarship money is GREAT!

But, by not trickling down the scholarship, you end up with something like Pro Magic or VS -- top players running to every possible event.

IMO, Pokemon has become a bit more Pro-like. That's good for the top players and not so good for lesser and/or unlucky players.

So Matt, I can empathize with your frustration about inequality due to trickle-down. What would you have PUI do?
Come on. To say players would travel everywhere to gobble up prizes is crazy. Don't you think it cost alot of money to travel to many events and still your not guaranteed to win. My son just moved up into the 11-14 age group and really didn't expect to win his regional due to the new experienced level of players. With this in mind, I told him we would go to nationals to give him a shot at worlds. I payed for the airfare and hotel which is going to cost around $900 minus the $300 travel expense from his state championship in the 10 & under before he turned 11. He then goes on to win his regional which is awesome but I just wasted $600 to go nationals. That $600 would have been nice money to spend at worlds instead on a trip to nationals. The only reason I booked the trip in advance was to get cheaper prices and available lodging since this is such a big event. The only good thing from this series of events is we have never been to nationals before. In summary, play for fun and take what ever comes your way. :thumb:

Now I'm sure I posted here before, and I don't recall saying anything objectionable, but I'll try to sum it up again. How does somebody winning something in a tournament in which your not involved have any affect on the fairness of a tournament in which you were involved that happened previously? Answer: it doesn't. It can't, it's impossible. There is nothing unfair about allowing trips to pass down. In fact it is a wonderfully benevolent thing for Pokemon to do. Thank You Pokemon! What would be unfair, would be to deny previous winners the chance to play for more scholarship money simply by virtue of the fact the they have been successful previously. Let's punish success! That'll keep people wanting to play the game!

Edit: This is from a person who has place high in tournaments (w/o receiving anything) but never won a major.

Last edited:
LugiasForce said:
No, it gives the little guy a better chance. Plus, if you won once already you got a whole bunch of free stuff, so stop complaining :wink:

The person who one once isn't the one complaining here, and it has no effect on the little guy's chances. How is it not good to give the little guy more competition? I believe the more competition the better.

dld4a said:
Now I'm sure I posted here before, and I don't recall saying anything objectionable.
Probably got lost when the boards were backed up after the server went down.

GUERO51 said:
Come on. To say players would travel everywhere to gobble up prizes is crazy. Don't you think it cost alot of money to travel to many events and still your not guaranteed to win....
yah, but see what happens if PUI takes the good prizes away. Many players (not just top players) will loose interest and probably leave the game. It happened in Decipher's Lords of the Rings TCG this year. I'd bet you $100 it would happen in Pokemon too. The prizes ARE important. To say they're not is being unrealistic.

Sure, the return-on-investment aint so big for events like Nationals. But not so for many Regionals where some players don't need to invest much at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, it costs a lot of money to travel, but for better players it is a risk/reward gamble.

It is amazing how many events I have seen not only Ness and Chuck, but also Fulop at, and I live NOWHERE near those people!

Does it show how much they travel, or how much I travel???

Travel is a part of what makes this game GREAT!!!

OH YEAH! TAYLOR IS GOING TO WORLDS! OH YEAH!

M45

I can see that some posters have lost sight of what Moss is really trying to rant about:

3rd/4th wins trips at later Regionals, but not earlier Regionals

Is that fair?

Trickle down, by itself, seems fair. Matt is just trying to point out a flaw in "trickle-down" when Regionals are run on different days. That's all.

So, if your PTO schedules Regionals and Gyms LATE, then they're providing the greatest benefit to their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back