Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New PKMN TCG Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Trainer

Well hello to all Im Soul Trainer (Chris) and I play MTC and YGO. Today a friend brought his PKMN Cards to a place and I thought they looked cool so I asked him to teach me to play real fast, so he did and now Im hooked and Ive decided to play both MTG and PKMN and YGO. The only problem is that I dont know what the best way to start is... Like packs, boxes, and decks also I dont know what the current meta consists of (I plan to play in tournaments and such) I have a job so money isnt really a problem, but I dont have a million dollars to spend on the game, if you know what I mean. Well I hope to get my questions answered, and have fun in this new game. THX

P.S. Also I plan on getting some starters and boosters sometime this week, my questions is whihc ones would be best to start off with? THX

Last edited:
The fire red starter and the Jirichi starter from hidden ledgends are good to get very useful trainers and Pokemon

Ebay and the like are good for those singles you may need.

Most of the time, getting a box per set usually nets most of the cards you need, save a few here and there through trading.

Also, both of the starter decks listed before are good buys. There's some decent cards in there (Pidgeot/Jirachi). Personally, I would buy either 2/2 (FR/Wish Maker), or 2/1 (two Pidgeot is all you will ever need, running a 2/2/2 line, or 2/1/2 w/ Rare Candy).

Good luck!

I wish we could tell you what the meta is, i can say the majority of us dont know it our selfs. In the past with this game there has alwasy been 1-3 TOP Tier DEcks, and that was your meta, However with this format that is not the case, there are so many different dekcs runnign around. Blaze, Gardy, ZApdos, Ludicolo, Muk, Vileplume, Slaking, and thats just in my area basically in this enviroment everythign stands a fightign chance becuase the enviroment is so diverse.

dont by wishmaker. There is a chance it will be rotated out. The pidge deck is a good buy. If I were you though, id wait til the next set comes out. That set will be around for 2 years to come rather than 1 more like a lot of these sets. Also, the cards are better so more decks will be built off them. You can go to collectorscache.com and you can buy all the trainers and stuff for your deck.

HL is really gonna stay in? If thats the case, then wishmaker would be a REALLY good choice. Id buy 2 if u can

toywiz.com, cardorder.com, stop2shop.com, cardhaus.com are all very good choices in buying singles....

i would suggest netdecking a good deck and play from there

here is the compendium to look through for rulings and/or questions

http://pokegym.net/cpdm/current/rulings_compendium_ex.html

if you need help with anything, feel free to pm me with questions/whatever

i have no problem helpin you out!

^ _ ^

<>< rokman

Also start off with like a theme deck and 1-3 packs form the same set then you can change the cards around to make a good deck. Fire Red deck and Jirachi Wishmaker are very good choices you can find the deck lists on pokebeach.net And to control your" cravings" ( if you have them) of wanting packs limit only 1 pack per week. Hope you play this game for a long time and Good Luck playing the game to be a Pokemon Master!lol

Sounds like he's already a seasoned TCG vet, Wag, so you can realistically skip the formalities about rationing money and the like.

LIke everyone else here, a couple of FireRed theme decks would be good, but mostly for the Celio's Network, one of the best cards in the format. Also, a couple of Wish Maker PCDs are also good b/c of Steven's Advise. After that, look around the internet for various card scans and figure out what you want to play. www.pokeschool.com is good for anything before Hidden Legends, while www.pokebeach.com is good for all after that set.

I would also say Buy Emearld Pakcs for Rare Candy..>Dres....Special energys...and SOME(very few tho) good cards...Also ou should buy into the next set which will majorly help you get going!Good Luck!

rokman said:
toywiz.com, cardorder.com, stop2shop.com, cardhaus.com are all very good choices in buying singles....

i would suggest netdecking a good deck and play from there

here is the compendium to look through for rulings and/or questions

http://pokegym.net/cpdm/current/rulings_compendium_ex.html

if you need help with anything, feel free to pm me with questions/whatever

i have no problem helpin you out!

^ _ ^

<>< rokman

Are you kidding me? Toywiz sells the Reverse holographic Raichu from FR/LG for 59.99!!

Here's the proof!

http://www.toywiz.com/poexfiredleg12.html

That's not a "deal" or a "reasonable price", that's a grossly overpriced scam!

Last edited:
Buy a box, and from there you can normally trade hard and get the cards for one deck you need.

3 EXs per box, should only run like 3 EX per deck, and trade rares for rares, etc.

Buy a box of emerald on ebay, maybe two, and you can just trade those cards off for ones you need and make a nice, solid deck.

buy:
2 fire red precon decks(about $12.00 each)(has pidgeots best search card in modified, and celio networks)
2 wishmaker precon decks(about $12.00 each)(has steven advice best draw trainer in modified and jirachis)
1 ex battle stadium(about$20.00)(has dunsparce and tv reporters deck staples)
1 box of Team Rocket Return($60-$110 per box)( it'll give you the cards you need for a competitive deck)

find a Pokemon League around you and bring your cards. Pokemon Leagues usually has some friendly people that can help you build a good deck. Good Luck

Last edited:
I must warn you Soul Trainer, pokemon is more like magic than yu-gi-oh, there is an color restriction. First you must decide which color you would like to use, I suggest Fire and Electric. So buy Pokemon battle stadium for Blaziken line and dunsparces. Next, you should buy singles Requaza ex, Blazeiken ex, another Blaziken from ruby/sapphire set, 3 Team Aqua's Manectric, 3 Team Aqua's Electirke, 4 rare candys. You can fill the rest of the deck with "Trainer" cards of your choice. This is the cheapest and most effective deck. The most imporant part in pokemon tcg is how to inflict as much damage as you can and as fast as you can(because in this game there are no instants or traps cards that can protect you opponents).

cheers

Well you could try net-decking first and try buying stuff from the sets that the cards from the deck come in. Just search Pokegym in the Deck Help and Strategy Forum. FR starter decks are good and Wish Maker also. Battle Stadium also good. Lots of the top decks include LOTS of cards from TRR so if u were to buy any one box it should be TRR. If you can, try getting 2 boxes of TRR.

*coughbattlestadiumcough* Okay guys, that's the absolute best way to get started. It's got 2 full deck, a few sideboards, and the absolute best cards to start out with. Battle Stadium. It's in a big box, has a gardevoir and a blaziken on it fighting, and costs around $15-$20. Be sure to go to op.pokemon-tcg.com and sign up with my pokemon, it'll get you plugged right in!

KG1337 said:
collectorscache is much cheaper

pokemon-cards.net is also good
you can get some cheap stuff in jp

LOL. And this is the place selling TV Reporters for $4? I was just at their Overland Park store for a GC. Their cheapest EX for sale is Aerodactyl and it lists for over $25. All their normal holos are 8-10 and rares are 3. How is that cheap? That store's single card prices have to be the biggest joke I have ever seen. You're best with sticking to the 'gym to buy any cards you need.

~LF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back