Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Nats Report: Your National Champion '06 (of Mutant Draft)!!!

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
~~~THURSDAY~~~

As usual, I wake up REALLY late, like around 4PM. So naturally I go and pick up some good ole Taco Bell <3. Later, Soles comes over and we test some. While he's able to sleep quite peacefully, I'm not, so I just kinda walk around for a few hours until the sun comes up, during...

~~~FRIDAY~~~

Typical traveling. I'm so glad that there's Club Soda on the plane ride over, so I'm rejuvenated for the big dance, and am ready to play some serious Pokemon. When I get there, I meet up with an infinite amount of pals at the event, and I think miss a side event. Oops! Matt Moss is doing an elite job at judging the professor cup, and just when it looks bleak for Mr. Moss, he pulls out his trump card: the rulebook! Fun times there, so I just joke around and get some food with Chad. We run into none other than Martin Moreno, desperate to keep a low profile, so we get some food, and talk a little bit. I think somewhere along the line we also watch Jacy Sturkie beat Seena G in the battle of the national champions, haha.

~~~SATURDAY~~~

As far as deck selection goes, I had been dead-set on Raichu d/Marowak d for the past week, and while I considered Ludi, I had confidence in this deck being the one for the day. While many have their opinions about which delta deck is king, I'm still confident in Raichu/Maro. Despite not winning or even top cutting nats, and despite lacking the aggro nature of Raichu/Eggs, it is just as strong of a deck, and honestly if I went with Eggs over Maro, I would have went the same (if not a worse) record.

R1: VS Mike O' D. (LBS)

Mike is a local Ohio player, and when I see him open up with typical LBS stuff, proceeded by a t1 pidgeot/t2 Blastoise, I'm really happy. I go to work with my energy bone setup, pinging his Squirtle and Pidgey. He drops a Mew ex, and for the first attack he metal thunders, but later catches how Metal Crushering back at me is really devastating. I screw up his setup, ko his board, and win in a close one. GG man (1-0)

R2: VS John B. (Scizor/Pidgeot)

My setup is weak, and while I do my best to put up with his Scizor, I just am never able to pull off two hit ko's on his stuff. I lose after getting boost-donked (1-1)

R3: VS Sean F. (SomethingElse) (Mewtric)

Foisy and I actually played last year where I narrowly won in Ludi mirror, but this was quite different. I get a decent _start_ with a fast Raichu, but he begins to versatile Mew ex HP's Devo Crush attack, and for the rest of the game I am just sitting on a bunch of little basics, desperate to pull something. IF I'm able to hit any evolution card, researcher, or transceiever, I can easily make it a game and pull back (he's not d/c'ing because of my 50 HP so I can trans), but to no avail. GG Sean (1-2)

I was a little disheartened about being 1-2, but also knew that you don't earn anything without a little effort, so I began the long, winding road of a comeback.

R4: VS Glen P. (BrandonJMatt) (Monarchy)

The three shocking rogue decks of the day, Raichu/Eggs, Raichu/Wak, and Monarchy were making somewhat of an impact today, but each deck ended in a very mixed, wide range. Glen's also a friend of mine from Oklahoma, so it's lame that I have to play against him. Oh well. Long story short, his hand is abysmal, and I just KO card after card. We play a fun one which is significantly closer, but because these Monarchy lists don't play Milotic he isn't able to heal up and I win again (2-2)

R5: VS Shaw L. (ShawofMordor) (Metro)

I have to play yet another friend of mine, but that's just how this game goes, I guess. The night before nats we were debating who won this matchup since it got leaked to him, but I was confident that Raichu/Marowak could pull it out. We both have strong setups, he with a turn two trode ex/metagross d and me with two or three evos turn two as well. It's a very tough back and forth game, but due to having to KO a 100 HP pokemon somewhere along the line, and blowing up to regain energy and board control, Metro finally runs out of steam, and has to manually attach. My luck turns around from the first three rounds, and while I don't hit a very much-appreciated energy root, I am able to get two metal energy on a Raichu d. Shaw WINS the game if I don't hit the third, but alas, I do. In probably the closest game all day, I pull it out, with him being just ten short of knocking me out. Amazing game. (3-2).

R6: VS ??? (Sorry!) (Dragtrode)

This fellow's a very nice dude, but unfortunately his list is too teched, and seems to lack consistency. I just am able to go aggro, loading up an early game pikachu/turn three raichu with multiple metals, and just go to town. Good game. (4-2)

R7: VS Andrew M. (ArMONdok) (Ludicolo/Rhydon)

Another great game with another friend. I get a slow start, and his is very strong. However, I'm not worried because his Rhydon isn't up yet, so I just spread damage while he pushes a strong attack against me. However, twhen it's 5-3 or so, and he finally has a Rhydon up, it's too late, as I've spread enough damage to his bench, and rock-cripple his setup. I begin to push back and get back control of this game, but he is doing his best to take me out. Eventually we're down 1-1, NOTHING left other than just a Rhydon and Marowak, so I'm one attack ahead of him and win another 6-5. (5-2)

R8: VS John W. (YoungJohn06) (Dragtrode)

ANOTHER person I know well, but does Dragtrode always get this kind of setup? His wasn't good at all, and even though he got a turn two knockout on me, I was able to spread damage easily, and while I think I misplay along the line with zzzapping over metal thundering, I realize that I indeed made the right play when it only takes me one zzzap to ko his benched Scyther and Voltorb. (6-2)

Well I've achieved a major accomplishment in recovering from such a deficit, and now I'm to play my last round. A LOT of decent matchups, including mynx, lots of LBS, lots of Dragtrode, etc are sitting 6-2 with me, so I hope to pick up one of those. Unfortunately, I play up to Eric E., and the final round begins...

R9: VS Eric E. (Pokewisconsin) (Eggs/Raichu)

Going into this match, I knew I had it tough but did what I could to win it. I can't hit any scrambles throughout this game (and only see my first one the final turn of it I believe), so I go for some damage spreading to his Exeggcutes. He's able to Delta Circle me to death for most of the game, and after a good fight, I lose. I ask him if he'll scoop to me since I'm 6-2, but nada =P. GG man, and awesome to see that you did so well! (6-3)

So that's that, another big event where I'm just on the edge of breaking in, but "doesn't." Oh well, there's always worlds, where I might not play a lot of friends =P

After some talking with pals and just goofing off in general, I stay up late to catch the...

~~~MUTANT DRAFT~~~

First off, I must say that even though my narrow missing of the top cut in the main event was a disappointment, this trip still was definitely fun, and I had a lot of playing fight in me, winning several close games with the spirit of the MaroWHAT!!. HOWEVER, when midnight rolled around, what better thing to do than play in the Midnight Mutant Draft?

Now, the winning decklist =P

Pokemon (16):

4 Other cards (can't remember)
1 Roselia
1 Tangela
1 Exeggutor d
2 Grimer
1 Masquerain
1 Muk
1 Erica's Ivysaur
1 Brock's Geodude
1 Brock's Diglett
1 Machop
1 Machoke
1 Graveler
1 Giovanni's Meowth

Trainers (8):

2 Mysterious Fossil
1 Sabrina's Gaze
1 Master Ball
1 Tickling Machine
1 Warp Point
1 Minion of Team Rocket
1 Erica

Energy (16)

8 Grass
7 Fighting
1 Multi

I knew that I had some stiff competition in the form of our new prof champ/Adam Granola/Steve P, some STIFF competition from Jimmy Ballard, and some "stiff" competition from Benlugia, but I was experienced enough to deal with it.

T64: Bye =P

T32: VS Dave C. II

He gets a fast milotic out against me, but fortunately I bait him with poison into retreating the Milotic for a Manetric...wrong play! I proceed to then regain control, and take him after a well-timed evolution into Koga's Beedrill.

T16: VS Glen P. A. K. A. BrandonjMatt

Nearly the entire game is in his favor, where he pulls a couple quick prizes with a Whiscash or something. I begin to take it back with good ole Muk, and he's building a Rhydon Jungle to take me out. However, I ironically use the naitonals-winning card to split bomb two little basics, and narrowly pull it out.

T8: VS [Pop edit] Aaron S [/Pop edit]

If I played you please come forward. I forgot who or what you had. GG!

T4: VS Joey a. k. a. Spookees Jr.

Terrible start with a lone Giovanni's Meowth and no basics. He gets close to KO'ing me...VERY close, but fortunately I confuse him-AND he gets tails! I finally begin to make a god comeback and win this game. Probably my favorite game of anything period, because there were so many gamesmanship, stalling, etc jokes with a pretty big crowd watching. SO perfect when Jimmy Ballard, star of an E4 video, is right next to me and says, "I'll allow it."

T2: VS Steve P. ("Sneasel/Slowking")

What a tough life when you start off against a Sneas-errrr, Carvanha. He plowed through Jimmy last game, but I was able to T2 ko him Tremor, and plow through a bunch of lil basics for game. I am now the national champion!!!

So, courtesy of Team Compendium, I win a box of Holon Phantoms, a Pokegym polo, LOTS of foil energy from EM (ty Blizz), two deck boxes (<3 Lucario!), some sleeves, and a certificate signed by THE Pokepop. I would have preferred winning the real nats but I guess this will make up for me being too young for the Professor Cup.

~~~SUNDAY~~~

Soles, myself, and a good lot of us decide to stay up all night and draft...ohhhh, and mutant draft we did with my box! While my record wasn't very redeeming, I win it thanks to my playing of six Omanyte, two Omastar, and 2-1 Mightyena ex line with a Dark Metal =)

Later on, Pramawat comes down and plows through people with the Ludi I built for a 10- player. Then we play and go 1-1 with each other, me giving him his fourth loss for the weekend (and ironically the first loss before going into his t32 with Fulop :X). We consider sleeping in the stage area, but think again on it, and later I go play in a side event. Round one I play who else but Glen, the guy I've played in EVERYTHING this tournament, and although he's a lil worried I might not stay awake throughout it all, we're able to complete the game. Then I win again against a Dustox deck using good ole Ludi, and then proceed to drop, fearing that I'd fall asleep for good!

SO I goof off, and watch Martin Moreno become national champion, then we all head over to Mongolian Grill. While it is probably the BEST stuff I've had in ages, I unfortunately ate a chicken sandwich right before getting there! Bad beat! I then plow through Sharif once with Ludi, watch Jeff V. do a good job against him too with it, and for the remainder of the time we all just goof off. Pramawat, Luke and I do some brainstorming for potential worlds stuff, and decide to go to TRUK's, but there really isn't much there, and I head back to my hotel room =P.

Soles and I then test the national deck versus my Ludi, and find Loodz to beat it by a prize! It could have been even more of a blowout if I literally didn't fall asleep between each shuffle, but I digress. Men In Black was on, and so was Rush Hour II. GG folks, GG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to meet you. Seems like you made the most of the time! Worlds ho!

Nice report! that T4 "kid" was my son Joey...we call him spookees jr. on here...and that was his favorite game too!!! The 2nd annual pokegym midnite Mutant draft was a blast!!!
Thanks to everyone who played- 42 players total!

GJ buddy, tis a shame you wouldn't play test against me....no matter how many times I asked >.< at least now I know why :p

Cuz I won :p

Seriously, it's called Mutant Draft 'cause you aren't bound by regular evolution rules-you can evolve a Pokemon into another as long as the type matches. For example, you can evolve a Tangela into a Muk, and then into a Koga's Beedrill =)

It's a lot of fun, and if you haven't played it before, go for it!

Nice job!
The wrong play I made was even laying the Milotic when I did. I should have waited until it was OHKO the Muk time.
Did you see what your final rank was on Saturday?

57th, oh well. At least me n' Crackers pulled off the surprise comebacks :thumb:

Yep, the only authorized sanctioned Mutant Draft in existance!
Edited in your missing opponent and "fixed" Ben's name. (tsk! tsk!)

Thanks to POP for sponsoring many of the mega prizes, as well as Spookees and Blizzard for their generosity!

hey John, good job in the mutant draft. BTW, I didn't have slowking -- that was joey. I just had the sneasel. But then again, you beat me so fast, I really never got a chance to show you what I had.

My kid too was 6-3, narrowly missing the top cut because of 2 timed losses he would've won otherwise. He played Queen-Pidgeot-d and beat every Raichu/something deck he played (two), though he never played Martin. SD is pretty good like you say, but it really depends on the matchups and starts.

See you at Worlds, probably as a spectator.

GJ, Ket! It's only fitting that a member of Tean Rocket won the Mutant Draft!
Hey 'Pop, we had a sanctioned mutant draft back in april! Won by......Spaz! ( Y. Giovanni second!)
I think that mutant draft was made for Team rocket !!!
Rick

Dude Johnny it was soooooo lame that in everything that we played in weplayed each other(and i lost ALL of them =/) and i ended up running on 4 hours of sleep for 3 days so ehhhh we neededs sleep anyways congrads and btw im sorry about hurting your resistance buy dropping from nats i was just so mad about the bad hands I kept getting.

ps. where are your props/slops

-Hitmonchan93: Right back atcha. We'll get you REALLY good for grinder, bud.
-ShiftryMaster68: Nice to see ya, and GJ getting 15th! HUGE accomplishment IMO. GL at cities =)
-Bulbasnore: Worlds HO, indeed *18-0's that son.* Very nice meeting ya. :D
-Spookees: Haha he was a cool kid, your son! BTW were you there too, or if it was just him? I think that was you greeting TheAnswerThree as "Mr. AJ" when he was having a bit TOO much fun? :tongue:
-sdrawkcaB: Thx, and I'm sorry :(. I guess whenever you got me it was at a bad time, 'cause I would have played you under different circumstances (ie, work, essay, not interested, etc).
-b0n3z: ...is the man! GJ getting third at your nats and I hope you KILL Sami in the finals of that cash tourney. I want you to get to worlds, bro! :thumb:
-PokePop: Yes, and I went undefeated too XD! Sorry about Ben's name, but I typed up the mutant draft portion before any other, so there were some...*ahem* typos. Yeah that's right. Thanks POP/Chrisbo/Pop/Spookees/Bliz/everyone else. I honestly had so much fun in that that it wouldn't have mattered if I got KO'd round one by Dave. BTW is Aaron (my t8 opponent) a member on the gym?
-Thanks, and yeah that game didn't go your way sry man for the donkage :(. The starts for any delta deck are really good, but if Mike made the cut and hit Eric or Martin, they too would have lost 'cause that matchup IS very gruesome. GL in the grinder, bro :thumb:
-Rocketman: TY and definitely, dude. HOWEVER, it's also a Team Candyland kinda draft!
-Foisy: Thanks and gj to you too, man. I don't hate losing, though, especially to a player like yourself. Your queen list sounded solid, especially for that metagame :D. I hope you hit up the grinder, but if not GL next season!
-Whicker: ...And that's what they said about Nidoking. THEN it went and won a trip (does it). Seriously, it's an awful card, but oh well!
-Brandonjmatt: Thanks, and sorry that ended up happening :(. Seems like none of us got sleep. Oops. Well I hope to test with you Okies a LOT so you'll completely kill the grinder. GL

ya the kid loves drafts and plays well in all of them, his favorite being the mutant draft!

Yes i was trying to get AJ to play but he had 'other' plans LOL
Just to keep things straight, i was the one judging - not your match however i passed that on to Chrisbo - i never judge any match my son is in. But watching you two play was a ton of fun! Everyone huddled around on that match...GJ

By the way i have pics from the event i am gettting them to Blizzard to post on the gym later this week, I will make sure he posts on here to let ya know when they are up

Back