Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Whicker's Bickers - Round 2 (2007 Edition)

What did I do wrong? If you are ashamed of me for trying to fight for the right to play, then you seriously need to reconsider. I've only tried to achieve the best for our region, and I believe that's obvious. I NEVER bashed Mike Cook. If you interpret my posts as that, then I'm sorry, but it's probably just because you expected me to that you think that. I mean seriously guys, do you REALLY think that I'm regetting posting what I did because of Birch's post? Of course not. I said everything that needed to be said.

Also, recognize the fact that Mike Cook COULD have organized the tournament in the D/FW area, which is what we are trying to say. That is the main problem.

Last edited:
"BTW Jorel, I really hope Mike Cook screws me over by judging me wrong. I just hope so, it would ruin his PTO status and we could give it back to the man that actually KNOWS how to run tournaments: Birch. I wouldn't doubt that he'd do it, either. He's screwed me (us) over two years in a row, why not do it during a tournament. Makes sense to me."

Isn't the above your post Jordan?

Sounds like not only bashing, but threatening to me....and when it comes to these types of things...we don't take kindly to insults and threats round these parts....

PTOs have a pretty thick skin...but you are pushing across the line.

I give Cook a lot of credit frankly for ignoring you.

If you try this type of junk about me or one of my events, I would probably have reacted a bit more strongly to you.

Enough said, Birch came on with his word as well.

Vince...

Birch please PM me, I have an idea for next year....Whicker notwithstanding....

That doesn't sound like bashing or threatening at all to me. It sounds more like a sarcastic response to Jorel's sarcastic comment. If you took it as bashing then it was only because you expect me to be nothing more than just some whiny teenager who can only use insults -- a conclusion that would be very, very incorrect.

And you like the fact that he's ignored me? Why is this exactly? If he is so dead-set on Houston being the Regionals venue, then I do believe that he can defend his reasoning behind the location choice. The only reason that I can think of for his ignoring would be if he realizes his mistake, and he doesn't want to admit it. Although many others have defended the location, why can't we hear it from the man himself?

Last edited:
So, if as they've explained, the _local area PTOs_ are unable to find an affordable/suitable venue for Regionals in the Dallas area, how is it you expect a PTO from _outside that area_ to be able to do so?

'mom

The venue exists, Birch essentially conceded that point. The idea was COST. Who can say that Mike couldn't afford any place? Birch's expenses were drained probably due to State's, but Mike is not running any State Championship.

Plus, regardless of the above, as long as I get enough people to agree with me that the Dallas area is the best spot for this Regional, then I've accomplished my goal.

Wow. Not asking much of Mike Cook, are you?

Let's see: you're ONLY asking that he: be able to find a suitable venue in an area he's (probably) not familiar with and would likely have to travel several times to, in order to scout locations; to have the available $ to book said venue, when the _local_ PTOs say there is nothing there in an affordable price range; to be faced with travel/overnight stays out-of-area in order to even put ON the event (lodging/food night before/night of)...AND hope and pray that the turnout will at least be equal to the numbers he's _proven_ to draw in Houston?

That's EXACTLY what you're asking him to do, with your "Mike Cook COULD have organized the tournament in the D/FW area" complaining: GAMBLE that the added expenses...venue, travel/lodging, etc...and work to hold that event elsewhere will net him _at least_ the same turnout he can get with the event held locally and at less cost and extra effort.

How does that make sense from a BUSINESS standpoint, nevermind a personal one, with all the insults and accusations you've been throwing around? =/

'mom

I have yet to throw out any personal insults. I believe I've explained myself on this point.

And secondly, if you would look back over the second part of my post, I believe I pointed out that the only thing I'm trying to accomplish here is the pure recognition of the fact that Dallas is a better location to hold Regionals than Houston. That is all I ask for. Then, ONCE that fact is recognized, hopefully it'll affect future decisions because OBVIOUSLY things cannot be changed for this year.
The only reason Mike Cook got involved is because he should have seen from last year's similar debate that Dallas was indeed the better location.

Ok if you want more support here it is going to Houstan last year, which I did with my parents was a 7 hour hellish drive that wasn't even worth it b/c I only made t16 and not only that it is called SOUTHERN PLAINS REGIONALS and lets think Oklahoma is in the South? correct, so therefore you should be allowing equal access to Oklahomans to but what do you do you sit there and make it a drive or a plane trip that is uneccessary for little brats that probably won't actually play? but you "try" to get them into the game that doesn't hold enough weight to basically shun competitors from other states and deny them the ability to go.Anyways it would be even more equal if held in arlington because everybody would then take 3 hours to drive instead of 7 and 40 min's you specific selfish texans and thank you mike and for bestowing this upon Oklahomans so have fun with your non-oklahoman regionals without the skill of me and my fellow oklahomans

Alright, here we go!
Whicker..... as I said LAST YEAR, I agree in principal that the DFW AREA is more centrally located and PROBABLY would encourage more players to travel a shorter distance to attend. I will also agree with you on the fact that the numbers, all-be-it recorded and FACTUAL, could be askew do to the recent boom of players in NORTH TEXAS!

With that being said, you should never DISRESPECT a PTO in a PUBLIC FORUM for whatever reason. You have "suggestive" comments that can be perceived as threatening statements and there is just no place for that. Your complete lack of acknowledgement that MPB opted not to do REGIONALS hurts you even further. Realize that do to some of the statements you have issued here, and past occurrences could wind you up not playing at ANY of the tournies! Your overall "debate" is uncouth and just shows poor Spirit of the Game. I understand you are not at liberties to just go anywhere, but you do have control of your decorum and at this marker in time, it is ot a desireable one!

Building a "CASE" to try and undermine something/ someone that is set is not the way to go. I am surprised that you are in your illustrious debate, yet your portrayal here is so barbaric. You can comment that what you intended was not an attack at Mike, but nonetheless, it is not how you meant it but how it was received that is the point. You should know this from debate. No matter what words you use, it is how they are interpreted by the masses the determine if they are right or wrong, hurtful or helpful, healthy or slanderous.

As it has been said in moany songs before, " YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT" and this just happens to be one of those times.

A side note for all those deciding to PILE ON from OK, personally I know most of you and I expect so much more class from you. Geography isn't something we need lessons in. I believe as much as MPB drives up there and takes care of tournaments for you, you would at the very least show him some respect as he is the individual that discussed this over with Team Cook and made the final decision to not hold Regionals here do to other situaitons. Team Cook stepped up and agreed to do it in Houston and carry the ball for Southern Plains Region! Read MPB post and then make your comments instead of just Whickers and a few here an there and deciding to post. 1 BAD APPLE can SPOIL the BUNCH! Just don't make it more!

Fish

Now go ahead Jordan, I know you will respond in haste as usual, but really think EVERYTHING I have written before responding. We have always had the Love/ Hate realtionship, so be very discreet about your answers and retorts from here on out and show that you are thoughtful and thankful not selfish and crass as to this point is how it is being received!

How many Oklahomans even play pokemon? How many Houstonians play pokemon? Both deserve equal amounts of pokemon, but people sometimes forget, Pokemon: TCG is a business, not a privilege. It's not so much as a choice for personal/loacal community gain as it is a choice to make money (ie business) so, let the cookie crumble, Whicker. No one hates anyone here (It's POKEMON for dewgong's sake)...

Why is everyone giving the Oklahomans a hard time? It is obvious that they want to play but many can not because of the venue choice, which has apparently been chosen not to serve the Southern Plains Region but to serve the growing Pokemon community in an area of Texas. Also, while promoting the game is more often than not good, when it is done at the expense of an already established region (Oklahoma) then it is only natural for that area to dissent, which is what Whicker and his “PILE-ONS” have been doing. I can not believe that Mr.Meches actually accused Whicker of having poor spirit of game when all Whicker did was argue, with civility, that he thought the venue was a bad choice for the Southern Plains Regionals. Then Mr.Meches went so far as to say Whicker was a “bad apple“ who is spoiling the bunch, all because Whicker dissented. The Oklahomans are only voicing their discontent over the venue choice, and that does not make them wrong, nor does it warrant calling them poor sports because they argue their point. They just want to play the game.

Why is everyone giving the Oklahomans a hard time? It is obvious that they want to play but many can not because of the venue choice, which has apparently been chosen not to serve the Southern Plains Region but to serve the growing Pokemon community in an area of Texas. Also, while promoting the game is more often than not good, when it is done at the expense of an already established region (Oklahoma) then it is only natural for that area to dissent, which is what Whicker and his “PILE-ONS” have been doing. I can not believe that Mr.Meches actually accused Whicker of having poor spirit of game when all Whicker did was argue, with civility, that he thought the venue was a bad choice for the Southern Plains Regionals. Then Mr.Meches went so far as to say Whicker was a “bad apple“ who is spoiling the bunch, all because Whicker dissented. The Oklahomans are only voicing their discontent over the venue choice, and that does not make them wrong, nor does it warrant calling them poor sports because they argue their point. They just want to play the game.

Thank you.

MrMeches said:
With that being said, you should never DISRESPECT a PTO in a PUBLIC FORUM for whatever reason. You have "suggestive" comments that can be perceived as threatening statements and there is just no place for that.

As I have stated more than enough times in this topic already, I have never disrespected Mike Cook. Jorel said, "I hope Whicker makes top 4 or something and have Mike Cook as a judge," which was an OBVIOUS sarcastic comment. If you thought that it wasn't, then you should be getting on to him for implying that Mike would, in fact, make a bad ruling against me. I responded sarcastically as well, because a comment such as that deserves to be humored with a sarcastic response. It was all in good fun. Secondly, the "Mike Cook does not care about Oklahomans" was a simple hyperbole. When you tell someone, "There are like a million people in that room," you normally do not mean that there are actually a million people in that room, but you used exaggeration to make a point that there are a lot of people in the room. Obviously, my talking it out without exaggeration only received flames from the people who disagreed, so I figured I needed a little extra help in order to explain my point.

MrMeches said:
Your complete lack of acknowledgement that MPB opted not to do REGIONALS hurts you even further.

Read the thread. I DID acknowledge this. Again, my main point was to ensure that people realized the fact that Dallas was the best area for Regionals. The second point (which kind of sneaked in) was to show that Mike Cook should have thought about the arguments presented last year and put the Regionals in Dallas. He had a whole year to find a venue, so if he wanted it badly enough, it would have easily been done.

MrMeches said:
Realize that do to some of the statements you have issued here, and past occurrences could wind you up not playing at ANY of the tournies!

I'm sorry civil debate is looked down upon in these forums. I'm sorry discontent with something is looked down upon in these forums... oh wait... it's not. I just want to let you know, other than a bad call at a Southern Plains Regional TWO years ago, I have a perfectly clean record. I'd also like to point out that both this year's and last year's "debates" over the Regional location have been 100% clean. That being said, I really hope people don't keep me from playing in tournaments just because they disagree with me.

MrMeches said:
Building a "CASE" to try and undermine something/ someone that is set is not the way to go. I am surprised that you are in your illustrious debate, yet your portrayal here is so barbaric. You can comment that what you intended was not an attack at Mike, but nonetheless, it is not how you meant it but how it was received that is the point. You should know this from debate. No matter what words you use, it is how they are interpreted by the masses the determine if they are right or wrong, hurtful or helpful, healthy or slanderous.

Again, the point of this isn't to undermine Mike Cook, it's to show discontent of the location and why another location makes better sense.
My approach has been anything but barbaric. I've explained the two posts in question fully and the rest of them have not been questioned. If they are ever questioned, then I will easily be able to explain them fully as well. No one wants to be hated, including me. I'm not going to become a barbarian and attack every living thing.
I understand your interpretations point. That is why I explained the purpose behind them. If you still interpret those posts as flaming after my explanation, then it will become obvious to me that you are going to try even the slighest grounds on which to kick me out of tournaments on, which I know you are not.

MrMeches said:
As it has been said in moany songs before, " YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT" and this just happens to be one of those times.

Once again I realize this. However, I do believe it's perfectly fair for me to want to play in premier tournament considering the Worlds-invite system that is currently in place. I cannot believe people are still disagreeing with me on this.

MrMeches said:
A side note for all those deciding to PILE ON from OK, personally I know most of you and I expect so much more class from you. Geography isn't something we need lessons in. I believe as much as MPB drives up there and takes care of tournaments for you, you would at the very least show him some respect as he is the individual that discussed this over with Team Cook and made the final decision to not hold Regionals here do to other situaitons. Team Cook stepped up and agreed to do it in Houston and carry the ball for Southern Plains Region! Read MPB post and then make your comments instead of just Whickers and a few here an there and deciding to post. 1 BAD APPLE can SPOIL the BUNCH! Just don't make it more!

Don't blame their posts on me, first of all. I don't control what they post.
Regardless, I (we) have yet to show any disrespect for Birch. I've read his post, and I do not think it said, "I gave Mike Cook Regionals, and then I told him that he must have it in Houston." I believe his just said that he gave Mike Cook control over the Regional. Once again, Mike Cook should have realized the logic in last year's arguments, and held it in the D/FW area.
I also do not appreciate you calling me a bad apple. Again, I've done nothing wrong.

MrMeches said:
Now go ahead Jordan, I know you will respond in haste as usual, but really think EVERYTHING I have written before responding. We have always had the Love/ Hate realtionship, so be very discreet about your answers and retorts from here on out and show that you are thoughtful and thankful not selfish and crass as to this point is how it is being received!

All important parts responded to. All answers well thought-out and civil.

Rokman said:
How many Oklahomans even play pokemon? How many Houstonians play pokemon? Both deserve equal amounts of pokemon, but people sometimes forget, Pokemon: TCG is a business, not a privilege. It's not so much as a choice for personal/loacal community gain as it is a choice to make money

Houstonians would be able to attend D/FW as well. So would San Antonians. It's fair for ALL.

Rokman said:
so, let the cookie crumble, Whicker.

Once again let me apologize for wanting to play in Regionals with the World-invite system that's in place.

I love how someone from Minnesota agrees with us, yet people from Texas think we are trying to Flame and insult just to get OUR way.

Hey Whicker! :smile:

Let's pretend that you are correct about this:
ZERO players from Oklahoma will attend regionals in The Woodlands (Houston).

Let's also pretend that regionals is in Dallas.

Fun problem:

If 100% of the Oklahoman players who traveled to Dallas for TX States yesterday (Mar. 3), will travel to regionals in Dallas next month. How many Oklahomans would be at that regionals? :biggrin:

A Whicker Quote

" show that Mike Cook should have thought about the arguments presented last year and put the Regionals in Dallas. He had a whole year to find a venue, so if he wanted it badly enough, it would have easily been done".

You want to know why I don't respond to you Whicker? Your quote is why. Yet ANOTHER uneducated comment. My mom once told me "if you don't know enough about what you're talking about, you probably shouldn't be talking about it".

Really Jordan, quit digging your hole. Debating is one thing, acting like you actually know what goes on with PUI, Birch, and myself is another. Stick with debating, leave Pokemon to the professionals.

Last edited:
Back