Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Va Tech Shooting

So since I state that morals and values are not the sole property of Christians and take issue with the assertion that Christianity is the 'only' way this country can turn itself around, that automatically means I 'prefer the direction we're currently going'? :mad:

'mom

I GUARANTEE that Cho was not a Christian.

...How DARE you!!

I was wondering if you might be offended, because I noticed your Buddhist chants at the end of several of these posts. But that's not neither here, nor there. America needs to find its moral footing, and Christianity does have some "history" in this country.

NON-Religion is the cause of everything wrong with this country.

But maybe you'd prefer the direction we're currently going, eh?

I choose Jesus! DEAL WITH IT.

Boy you must really love those that believe in the Wiccan religion.

I'm sorry, but as a non-Christian parent I am DEEPLY offended by the statements "Wasn’t America a better place when we taught Christian values to all of our children?" and "Don't we love our children"...as IF morals and values are ONLY held by Christians, or only 'right' if from a Judeo-Christian tradition!

You know? I think maybe you jumped the gun. You're off-base here.

Look again at this author's statement, which so DEEPLY offended you.

Wasn’t America a better place when we taught Christian values to all of our children?

First of all, IT WAS. I'm old enough to remember when America was a much better place -- when the Bible would never be considered "hate literature". Life was simpler, happier for most, and much more honest when biblical values were the standard.

Secondly, this article suggests that Christian "values" be taught. And I agree. I don't see the words, "we should teach Christianity (the religion) to YOUR kids". That's what churches are for.

So since I state that morals and values are not the sole property of Christians and take issue with the assertion that Christianity is the 'only' way this country can turn itself around, that automatically means I 'prefer the direction we're currently going'?

Yes, exactly. That's what it's come down to -- no matter how much you or I might wish it to be different. The current values system (if you can even recognize it as such) will never work.

Since more than 80% of this nation's people (I think polls show that it's even higher) identify themselves as Christian, that's the reasonable place to start. Again -- not necessarily the religion -- especially not in public schools -- but the values and moral system.

C'mon now. Be real. Your kids would suffer very liitle harm from being taught these ideas. Do you really find words such as honor, truth, love, justice, and responsibility so offensive?

What's the alternative?

Your kids would suffer very liitle harm from being taught these ideas. Do you really find words such as honor, truth, love, justice, and responsibility so offensive?
AGAIN: you're making the assumption that because my family is NOT christian that we _don't_ teach those words/actions/ideas/values to our kids.

What gives you the right to claim those values as ones which ONLY belong to 'christians' and furthermore assume that since we are NOT christian, that we don't follow them ourselves?!

'mom :mad:

Last edited:
Yummy, brain washing!

Doesn't the bible also teach to beat your slaves and kill teens who disresptect their parents?

AGAIN: you're making the assumption that because my family is NOT christian that we _don't_ teach those words/actions/ideas/values to our kids.

What gives you the right to claim those values as ones which ONLY belong to 'christians' and furthermore assume that since we are NOT christian, that we don't follow them ourselves?!

AGAIN: you're jumping the gun -- and making this personal.

But, are you being honest about America? In general, this nation has become rotten to the core, and it's just getting worse.

You undoubtedly do teach great values, and more, to your kids -- that doesn't surprise me a bit.

However, you've been a moderator on this forum long enough to realize that most of these kids are ignorant of ANY religion. ...Let alone the morals and values associated with one. Pay attention to the "comments" thrown into the middle of our conversation, and in other threads throughout the PokeGym. See what I mean?

Again: Jesus is the answer.

Do you have any better solutions for a wayward nation?

Last edited:
[quote='send in the clowns' article]The Gospel is our only chance. We must teach it to our young. Why won’t somebody say it? Don’t we love our children?[/quote]That certainly doesn't sound like 'oh, let's just teach the kids values and morals, and leave religion to whatever each family chooses to teach', does it?

It out and out states that the christian 'gospel' is the ONLY choice if one wishes to 'turn this country around'...which is what I am taking issue with, along with the assertion that all 'good' values/morals are ONLY those with the 'christian' label on them, and any other religion's values/morals are the 'problem' with this country.

If you did any study of comparitive religion you'd see that those values you list ("honor, truth, love, justice, and responsibility") are part of EVERY world religion...not just christianity!

Jesus might be 'the answer'...for YOU. I'm certainly not going to be arrogant enough to state that any one religious belief is 'the answer' for anyone but myself. I'd also say that that type of 'my-way-is-the-only-way, shove-it-down-your-throat' arrogance is what prompted the posts you're taking issue with from the other members of this community...

'mom

Last edited:
I guess you mean pre-1963 as the point when America still taught God?

What do I know about America pre-1963?
A lack of civil rights for blacks.
World War II and World War I.
The Korean War and the onset of the Vietnam war.

What do I know of America post-1963?
The ending of the Vietnam War. No other major war since. The Gulf War and the "war of terror" as Borat puts it don't compare to Vietnam, Korea, or the World Wars.
I know that blacks finally got rights they deserved.

I know that as time has gone on, past the 1980s gun crimes, crimes with death, etc. have all gone DOWN.

The VA tech shooting is really one isolated incidence that radicals use to generalize and make mass assumptions. If anyone is sending in the clowns, it's radical Christians like that post said. You take a tragic incident, generalize and broaden it to absurd proportions and then use those same absurd proportions to justify radical changes that won't fix the initial cause of the incident.

The world is a much better place since God has been removed from our country. Separation of CHURCH AND STATE. Keep GOD OUT OF OUR LAWS! I don't believe in God. I wouldn't press my beliefs on anyone else, so why should the views of Christians be pressed upon me? God should have no influence on the passing or amending of laws. Let people do and think and believe what they want- stop trying to force beliefs on them.

Ryan, you're probably not old enough to know anything beyond 1993, let alone '63.

Your facts are wrong -- and what on earth do the World Wars have to do with anything?

Crime, in all aspects, and the prison population have exploded in the last several decades.

The Virginia Tech shooting is one of many, MANY crazy bizarre killing sprees in recent years.

Your "radical changes" argument? -- doesn't make a bit of sense.

Last edited:
But, are you being honest about America? In general, this nation has become rotten to the core, and it's just getting worse.

It's the media. If it isn't bad news, it isn't news at all. ALL the news will ever show are murders, theft, gossip, etc etc. Of course that makes the nation look a lot worse then it actually is.

However, you've been a moderator on this forum long enough to realize that most of these kids are ignorant of ANY religion. ...Let alone the morals and values associated with one. Pay attention to the "comments" thrown into the middle of our conversation, and in other threads throughout the PokeGym. See what I mean?

Maybe we aren't ignorant, maybe we just don't like said religion. You still didn't answer my question btw.

Again: Jesus is the answer.

Do you have any better solutions for a wayward nation?

Jesus may be the answer for you, don't make like it is for everyone.

And if this is such a wayward nation, I think we should have parent liscenses.

Crime, in all aspects, and the prison population have exploded in the last several decades.

Not because people are breaking the law, but because things are becoming illigal.

I thought there were studies that showed certain drugs had no effect on aggresive behavior at all.

If certain drugs are illigal then alchohol and smokes should be too. If alchohol was banned, think of how many people would go to jail.

Yummy, brain washing!

Doesn't the bible also teach to beat your slaves and kill teens who disresptect their parents?

You've never read the book, have you? :confused: It's really not that mysterious.

After you've gone from Genesis thru Revelation, I would love to answer all your questions. :wink:

*points to post #108*

'mom =/

You're referring to me again? Isn't that right?

I find myself wondering why I should defend that entire article -- word for word. Even though I do agree with almost every generalization Coach Dave makes about the "circus" we're living in, I didn't write it. I don't feel obligated to convince you -- or any of these other Pokemon players -- of a TRUTH that you're not willing (or apparently able) to see. Isn't it obvious that I'm not responsible for the content of the Bible? I didn't write it. I didn't make the rules. And I'm not wrong to say that "teaching the Gospel" is an essential part of Jesus' teachings. And I won't deny him either! ...EVER.

'Mom, you seem way too argumentative about my religion. And this, coming from a person who signs their posts, "namandabu, namandabu, namandabu" and "namuamidabutsu"?

If you can chant to a little fat statue here on the PokeGym -- then I see nothing wrong with claiming "Jesus is Lord" -- and saying that any nation who believes in Him wouldn't be so screwed up.

-- Shalom

You're referring to me again? Isn't that right?

I find myself wondering why I should defend that entire article -- word for word. Even though I do agree with almost every generalization Coach Dave makes about the "circus" we're living in, I didn't write it. I don't feel obligated to convince you -- or any of these other Pokemon players -- of a TRUTH that you're not willing (or apparently able) to see. Isn't it obvious that I'm not responsible for the content of the Bible? I didn't write it. I didn't make the rules. And I'm not wrong to say that "teaching the Gospel" is an essential part of Jesus' teachings. And I won't deny him either! ...EVER.

'Mom, you seem way too argumentative about my religion. And this, coming from a person who signs their posts, "namandabu, namandabu, namandabu" and "namuamidabutsu"?

If you can chant to a little fat statue here on the PokeGym -- then I see nothing wrong with claiming "Jesus is Lord" -- and saying that any nation who believes in Him wouldn't be so screwed up.

-- Shalom
I don't CARE what your religion is.

What I DO care about is your assertion that yours is 'the ONLY way'...i.e. mine, or anyone else's whose chosen spiritual beliefs do not coincide with yours...is WRONG. It might be the 'only' way for YOU...but it's the height of arrogance to state it is so for EVERYONE, and that everything 'wrong' with America is because of people who don't believe in the same god you do. Values/morals =/= christianity ALONE...and forcing christian beliefs 'back into the schools' and down the throats of kids who have their own spiritual beliefs, thank you very much will NOT 'save' this country.

And as for the 'fat little statue' remark: all I'll say is that it clearly demonstrates your ignorance of what I actually DO believe in. Buddhism =/= some statue in a so called 'martial arts' "dojo".

'mom

Last edited:
Ryan, you're probably not old enough to know anything beyond 1993, let alone '63.

Your facts are wrong -- and what on earth do the World Wars have to do with anything?

The Virginia Tech shooting is one of many, MANY crazy bizarre killing sprees in recent years.

His facts are wrong about african americans being kept down despite Bible values?
Heck, many people justified oppressing blacks and even slavery by using the Bible (third son of Noah, anyone?). Not to say I don't believe in the Bible, just saying that everything was great before 1963 is putting on blinders.
We had Communist hysteria back then, blacklisting people and ruining their lives.

It all sounded better back then, though, because the media kept quiet about all the bad stuff.
We just hear about it all now.

How about the '30's?
Organized crime. Chicago massacres. Race riots.
Hey, what year was it that a whole town got wiped out in the Carolinas and the media downplayed the whole thing because they were black people?

Yes, there are some bad things out in the world.
No question about that.
But there were bad things going on back then, too.
We were just shielded from them or taught that they were OK.

edit: By the way, you took a pot shot at the "fat little guy" religion, but it was our countries "pre-1963 Christian values" that allowed us to pack away every single Japanese American and ship them off to camps in the desert during WW2 as a "precaution",
Would a return to those values allow us to ship off every single arab and Muslim American today to some remote location for similar reasons? Would that be a good thing?
You buy the premise, you get the whole package.
There are some things about that package I don't want.

Last edited:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

As you can see, the slopes are down since 1993. So, my facts are right. Gun crime rates have gone down... in the last few years.
What do the world wars have to do with anything? You said the US was better in the past, and I'm saying pre-1963 America fought a gigantic war every like 30 years, including WWI and WWII. After '63? The wars we are in are much less dramatic and live-costing.

Radical changes... you know, like overturning supreme court rulings? Those would be radical changes. That's what you guys are getting at. 'Pop said it quite well- the world was just as bad then as it is now, and trying to make these small, isolated incidences into sweeping generalizations does no good.

Last edited:
What I DO care about is your assertion that yours is 'the ONLY way'...i.e. mine, or anyone else's whose chosen spiritual beliefs do not coincide with yours...is WRONG. It might be the 'only' way for YOU...but it's the height of arrogance to state it is so for EVERYONE, and that everything 'wrong' with America is because of people who don't believe in the same god you do.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. -- John 14:6

It's the "height of arrogance" to say that God is wrong. You can take it up with Jesus on judgement day, eh?

All religions are not a path to God. Cold Hard Truth >> but still the TRUTH.

Back