Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Malaysian Nats winning report

DarkLugia

I woke up early morning with my cousin Najmi. We were both in the junior’s division. I played a few games against my cousin in the morning. My father drove me and friends to Bangsar shopping complex
Team E5 consisted of me, my bro, Kazu, Yee Wei, Adwin, Edmund and Sebastian. We had been playtesting the last couple of weeks and I decided to go with R-gon (my mew d POP5 did not arrive on time via post however).I looked at the metagame and didn’t seem to find any auto loss match ups.

Game1 R-Gon vs Some Swalot deck

I get bad start (Rayquaza). I stalled with a few lame stuff to build Gon ex. I managed to get a few candys and attacked all his low hp Pokemon and win. GG.
1-0

Game2 R-Gon vs Sally ex d/altaria ex

I donk his Swablu and won. GG.
2-0

After this was lunch break. I went to a food court but didn’t eat much. Instead I was talking to my cousin. I rushed down and started my3rd game.

Game3 R-Gon vs Wobby safeguard deck (Flygonite)

I get normal start and delta draw but drew blanks. He got a bad start as well. I setup a bit later than him and swifted his Wobby safeguard. He used a couple of brineys to delay. After that I snipe all the rest with Ray ex and won. GG.
3-0

Game 4 R-Gon vs Aggron/Hariyama ex (Eashwar)

I got bad start and lost. He T1 Aggron with energy and went thru all my basics.
3-1

Game5 R-Gon vs Eggchu (Carolyn H)

I got early Gon ex and won. Flygon ex d=auto-loss for eggs-chu especially if they castform delta draw. The only chance is to go aggro with early eggs. GG.
4-1

I made T4. I made it as second seed. My bro was first seed in Seniors (6-0). Team E5 FTW.

R-Gon vs Wobby safeguard/Blastoise d deck (Flygonite)
Semi final

I start with Ray ex and sniped everything.
1-0

I got same start with game1 and Ray snipes for the win (all his pokes have bodies)
2-0

Finals

R-Gon vs Aggron/Hariyama (Eashwar)

I realised he was the only one who beat me in swiss. If I could get a normal start my gon ex would run through his psychic weak hariyama's. Made sure he six-piled his deck. There were numerous occasions I saw other kids 'weave' their decks for the God-starts in swiss.I started normally and delta draw. He got a T1 Aggron again but with no energy. I was about to set up 2 flygon ex d and had > candies in hand. Facing an energy drought he used Holon Lass and ends up expanding his hand by 12 after the that!! A judge was called and he ended up with a game-loss. Bad beat man. Unpleasant way to win but the game state was irreversibly broken. I was going to mow him down with Gon ex swarm anyway.
1-0

I started normally and went for early Gon ex. He was shaken by his game-1 loss. I kill all his Hariyama ex because of weakness. I won. I'm going to Hawaii!!!!!
2-0

I am national champion (finally) after last years close call (2nd with LBS to Jynx-Fett). Finally my luck held after all the previous donkage. Everyone said Gratz to me. I shaked my opponents hand and said GG. I am going to Worlds and looking forward to meeting Geoff S, Ben S, Andrew K, Hiroki and others again.MORE time for sword play!!! I'll be trying to do better this year in Worlds after being 2nd seed (after swiss) last year and getting donked by donk-a-dos deck (31st seed)

Props:
Clay (Blazi-King from Pokegym) for deck help with my R-gon/Claygod
Dad for all his poke-research and playtesting with me
My big bro Daniel-for playtesting and calling me names! and getting 3rd in his age category (should have been champ bro!).
Team E5 for our practice matches.
Yee Wei for winning 15+ with Chuck-tree
Alex (ToyzBar) for kind sponsorship of our team

Slops
61 cards-in-a-deck Nats champion (you know who u are)
Hand weaving pokemon players (you also know who u are)

Juniors had top cut to 4 (There were only 16 players in this cat). Seniors (>30 players) and masters (>20) had top cut to 8. Seniors and masters were quite competitive with lotsa archetypes-mainly flygon d and friends (R-gon did the best, I think). Flariados,metanite, MSNBC, delta,bandoom, sunny d, even some destiny's (but it's not an easy deck to play and most did badly).15+ was won by shiftry/lickitung.Perfect metagaming against a predominantly delta-based metagame.

Congratz on win, Sean.

I am so looking forward to see all three of you and would like to have a game with both boys as I was having a great time playing fun games vs Andrew and Aaron. During the unlimited tourney, i usually T2 or T3 Andrew. lol.

Jason. You t2 Andrew because of the following reasons.

You use BROKEN cards like Gust of wind, Slowking, Energy Removal etc.
He didnt.
Pidgeot wouldnt make much of a use if he couldnt USE HIS CANDIES. =D
Didn't get to play you!

"A judge was called"??

This was the finals match and it didn't have a judge sitting there watching it?
Wow.

Jason. You t2 Andrew because of the following reasons.

You use BROKEN cards like Gust of wind, Slowking, Energy Removal etc.
He didnt.
Pidgeot wouldnt make much of a use if he couldnt USE HIS CANDIES. =D
Didn't get to play you!

Are those cards even allowed in their format? Would like to know before i make my next comment.

In response to Pokepop, yeah "wow" indeed. We can't do much. LD here controls everything. Me and my bro were at Worlds last year and "wow"-it sure was so, so different. That's why we wanna go back this year. It's so addictive playing in an environment like that. The players in US get it so good with so many well organized events BUT Worlds qualifications is harder. Kinda like a two-edged sword, huh.

Great job it sounds like you had a donk round in swiss to Hariyama and should have went undefeated.

PS- What is hand weave?

Hand weave: Energy, Trainer, Pokemon, Energy, Trainer, Pokemon, etc and then a cut-shuffle that doesn't really disturb card order, just shifts groups of cards around.

Congratz. I hope i can make it to see you guys at worlds. Congrats on winning. Kinda is odd that you did not have a judge watching your match.

Yeah, a six pile usually disrupts a hand weave completely and they often get a crap hand full of energy or pokes. LOL.

Thanks for all the replies. Hope to see you all at Worlds. R-gon FTW.

i did a six-pile twice before the starts of my top cut and i usually got a very GOD hand during top cuts. >D

Thanks Clay. Wouldn't have been able to do it without YOUR IMMENSE help. Hope to see you at Worlds to personally thank you.

Back