Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

UK NATIONALS CHAMPIONSHIP - BIRMINGHAM 3rd JULY 2004 - ROLLCALL

TheGame said:
Oh well!! For my sins, I've been roped in to judge this one along with Graeme.Since me getting into T8 was about as likely as the Pope giving out advice on birth control I thought I better take up the offer!! See you all there!
That is excellent news, guys. See you both there. :clap:

~fK

Martin, Will you and Junior be staying Friday night to get on site for the 09:00 staff briefing ? Or making the treck across from Norfolk on the day. It would be great to get some players together on the night before for some playtesting or even an impromptu draft !?!?

I'd love to but I'm afraid I'll be coming on the day as we are bringing some players with us. No, of course I dont mind getting up at 5.00 in the morning,nothing I like better.............

so far we have...

- myself (arr. around 8am)
- Stephen Clarke (Slough, arr. 10am!)
- Irwin Malek (arr. Fri 9pm)
- Graeme Gleaves (to be found in bar!)
- Nigel Edney (Edderz)

at the hotel on Fri night. Sounds groovy.

~fK

Freddy K. said:
so far we have...

- myself (arr. around 8am)
- Stephen Clarke (Slough, arr. 10am!)
- Irwin Malek (arr. Fri 9pm)
- Graeme Gleaves (to be found in bar!)
- Nigel Edney (Edderz)

at the hotel on Fri night. Sounds groovy.

~fK

i 2 may be stayin at the hotel still not sure though....

...amph...

Okay in 8 hrs and 15mins the Rainham Crew will be boarding the minibus to that Meca at the very heart of England. 3 hours later dazed and confused they will emerge from the charabang and bring fear an terror to UK nationals .. and that will just be my pickled chillis for heating the blood ready for battle :)

Gamers Guild are go to UK NATIONALS

Last edited:
Well Chilli power made it to the top 8 but just lost out to FKs stalling .. he's been taking lessons from IMC ;)

Well done to Freddy K for winning the 15+ and becoming UK National Champ for the age group and for winning the trip to the US.

But it's especially well done to Jake Arnold who after just 6 months of competitive POP ripped through the 10 and unders to win the trip and for bringing the 10 and under UK Championship back to the Gamers Guild :) His Grandad did well too making top 8 and I understand they will both be seen at Worlds so watch out for them to place high!

And well done NoPoke who nearly had FK in the 15+ final playing a variation on Psychodads TA deck, despite much pain in his arm, the effect of painkillers and the trials and tribulations of looking after his son he did very well. Often us TOs are overlooked by the players and l33ts as also rans.. good to see one of the UK's Top Organisers and Judges showing the players how it's done.

All in all a tiring day following a long drive there and back... the 19 hour day was a killer .. the Crashing Headache at 5am even more so.. maybe next year they can find a venue closer to the main player base.

Last edited:
at least you lot didn't hae to stay in a hotel DIRECTLY ON TOP OF A NIGHTCLUB

in addition, i still feel p***ed because i came 5th by tie break.

Last edited:
meganium45 said:
'break me mon' Freddy K is coming back to the US for Worlds!!!

Can't wait to see you there!

M45
OMG
OMG
OMG

Tourney report coming soon w/ pics.
Yah it's true, see you at Worlds! Thnx M45 - we'll definitely be 'shooting the bull' this time around =))
I'm sure Psychodad will avenge NoPoke's loss when I see him next time! I really am looking forward to ENJOYING Worlds this time around, and seeing some of the best players like Psychodad, M45 - and judges *cough*SDPokemom,BDS,Sensei,Chrisbo,TeamCompendium*cough* - in action again in a month's time. I hope all the UK winners - Jake, Yacine and myself - represent the UK well and make who we left behind proud.

~fK

PS judging was top notch, as was the organisation of the event which ran smoothly - let's not forget that. As for 'lessons in stalling', if people wish to resolve issues it's better to bring them up at the time rather than rinse dirty laundry in public, as the saying goes. Nobody on the 'gym can resolve any issues, and I'm not sure if people are really interested in accusations like that which are completely unfounded. the final match did take a long time - nearly two hours for a single game - but judges were present at all times. As for the previous matches, none of my opponents during any of the matches raised their hand to complain about me all day - and they were all experienced, each of them having won a CC themselves.

Let's not detract from the success of the event, the huge amount of pleasure everyone got and how successful it all was.

As a final thought, only three players could have won the trip. If a player didn't make that top spot it does not mean that the event was lousy or that it was someone else's play that caused them to lose. 'I DIDN'T DESERVE TO LOSE' was what I heard quite a few people say when they were knocked out. Experience tells me it's always the better players of the game that win a tournament especially at the highest level of play. Waiting three minutes staring at cards before attaching an energy is stalling. Warning your opponent to play fast when there are 7 minutes on the clock having lost the first game in match play is rushing. In-between those two forms of illegal play is the room necessary for strategy to formulate. Judges are there to help distinguish the boundaries between all three behaviours of play. IMHO to make such accusations after 5 rounds of swiss-play, and 3 rounds of Matchplay, to any player who has gone undefeated and won a National Championship title, does I have to say show a certain lack of humility and sportmanship.

~fK

FK way to stall man, legally within the rules and with a judge watching.. got no problem with that you used the floor rules well.. just telling it how it was as you know ;)

As for being brought up at the time there was no point in doing so as was seen when NoPoke brought up the issue.. as IMC and others have pointed out there is a legal way to stall and you did it well :)

Good luck in Florida maybe you're the next big thing from Europe?

As for players deserving to win many may have said that as they walked away from a loss I did not!

Last edited:
ukpokemonpro said:
FK way to stall man, legally within the rules and with a judge watching.. got no problem with that you used the floor rules well.. just telling it how it was as you know ;)

As for being brought up at the time there was no point in doing so as was seen when NoPoke brought up the issue.. as IMC and others have pointed out there is a legal way to stall and you did it well :)

Good luck in Florida maybe you're the next big thing from Europe?

As for players deserving to win many may have said that as they walked away from a loss I did not!
Thanks for the congrats. :thumb: So this 'stalling' occurred in the match that you lost and as a consequence found yourself knocked out of the competition. Yet as an experienced TO and judge you chose not to call a judge over at any stage. :confused:

And it wouldn't be fair for me to rush NoPoke as he wasn't feeling well, but I'm expected to play at a lightning pace faster than him in the same game? And yet again, with the Head Judge watching all proceedings no complaint was made during the match. I assume that you are referring to the draw that resulted in Round 5, as we had four judges and the HJ overlooking our final match at one stage. Or are they to blame now.. :rolleyes:

I'll let viewers draw their own conclusions :nonono:

~fK

Freddy you stalled I know it you know everyone knows it .. I don't care you played it well but you stalled

Good luck in the US but the facts are still facts .. you stalled, I don't care, heck I may even have done it myself if I was in your position fact :)

Last edited:
Well done to everyone, especially the three winners: Freddy, Yacine and.... (the name will come to me eventually)...Jake is it?

Special congrats to the two younger winners, for whom this is their first major tourny win. Yacine now has a Championship to his name, to add to those of his brother, and the 10- champion has been given a great motivation to play the game... Freddy has...well, another trophy for his trophy cabinet :)

Once again, well done. Some of you may have already seen my post about one of the negatives from Nationals, and it is quite a large negative... Please check my post in the tournaments and op section.

Congrats Freddy, good luck ... and a lot of fun in Orlando !!! :thumb:

Please say hello to all our US friends for me ;)

OMG Freddy's coming to Worlds. I must win a trip and make fun of his accent. ;x

Way to go Faisal!!!11111!1one! Blaziken is the way you wanna go for Worlds. There will be a lot of water and other anti-Blaze, but if you get a Dunsparce setup, and an Oracle in your hand, you'll smoke 'em. Just keep tweaking.

No trip for second place? =( Poop. Well, figures you won, and it figures people are complaining about you stalling. Stalling can be frustrating, ukpokemonpro, it's happened to me. Freddy doesn't seem like the kinda guy who would stall to win. Even if he did (which I highly doubt), he deserved the trip anyway, so all's fine and good.

Freddy K! In Flori-DUH, prepare for the fight of your life. You and Mudkip gotta duke it out for the title of:

THE BEST NON-AMERICAN PLAYER! And we don't want you shaming our lil' jabs at Pablo and his power over all things taco. So you'd better win! No pressure, he's only 6th in the world. XD

No wonder you smoked all the rest o' England, they don't have the wise council of THE Monkey, and the LITTLE BLUE FISH-HEAD POKEMON! w00t!

Now I'ma hafta winna trip. Look out Eastern Coast Stadium Challenge, I'ma pull a Freddy. ;)

~w00per

Here are my final thoughts on nationals. (Aside from the dispute which I hope my last post has now put to bed in the other thread)

All in all a very good day, lot's of paricipants but let's hope we can get more players sorted out with My Pokémon accounts next year and run more qualifiers for an even bigger field - the players are out there we just have to get to them and give them time and the information to get to us.

From watching the play (mainly 15+) I was surprised that Metagross seemed to be everywhere - except that is in the top eight, there is a bit of work to do to this new archetype before it can rank with the current list of usual suspect tournament decks.

The standard of gamesmanship and player friendliness was on the whole excellant - only 4 cautions and 1 warning were issued all day !! I don't normaly praise certain players but Chris McGivern, Ben Ward and Stuart Wright deserve mention for proving you can play like a true Gentleman and still make the top eight - oh and Ben; those pickled chillies --- sheer quality !

As for the legal stalling issue I feel the floor rules need to be revisited to lay down a time limit that players have to make their play in. I appreciate that it can vary for how big your hand is, what options are open to you and the pressure of (in this case) being close to that big prize and not wanting to make a mistake but I feel we need to look at this for the better of the game.

Back