Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st place Malaysian Nats report (Juniors)

DarkLugia

I'm Sean G (using dad's account). I get up around 6:30am and was really sleepy. My cousin sends me to Mont Kiara around 8:45. I get there and see loads of people. Okay so I decided to play Plox with a 1-0-1 Dusknoir tech. Since I’m cool, I’ll give u guys my list.

Pokemon

4 Ralts
2 Kirlia
3 Gardevoir
1 Gardevoir lv X
2 Gallade
4 Sentret
2 Furret
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol
1-0-1 Dusknoir

Trainers

4 Rosseanes Research
4 Celios Network
4 Rare Candy
3 TGW
1 Lake Boundary
2 Warp Point
2 Night M
1 Strength Charm

Energy

4 DRE
2 Scramble
2 Fighting
6 Psychic
1 Cyclone

I figured a consistent list with no draw supporters (supporter starvation) would work in juniors. Dusknoir almost always works against beginners. Team R helped me with my plox list to be more consistent. Instead of using 3 Pachirisu, I used 4-2 Furret. This allowed me to fetch any two cards from my deck. Many juniors will fall for the gallade/ scramble/ wager/ OHKO combo. Ok onto Game 1.

Game 1 vs Luqman S (Magmortar/Vire)

I open up with a lone sentret he with electabuzz. I setup furret and got going. He kills my furret with a 2 energy electabuzz and I response with a gardy scramble plox + 1 strength charm which I fetch with furret earlier . I walk through the rest of his basics. GG.
1-0

Game 2 vs Sun J (Rhyperior/Swampert)

I open with sentret again(I love this pokemon) He opens with a Rhyhorn. I get furret going and set up. I allowed furret to die and responded with a gallade scramble psychic cut. GG.
2-0

Game 3 vs Daniel L (GG/Cresselia/Minun/Plusle)

I get a T2 Gallade and DRE and psychic cut FTW.
3-0

Top 2

Since there were only 8 players, there was only a top 2 cut.

Finals vs Daniel L (look above)
Game 1

I start with a sentret and he opens with Absol Ex. I get a T3 Furret and get going a claydol and gardy/gallade. I get a gallade DRE and psychic cut and wagered his hand down to 3. I proceeded with psychic cut and walk through his pokemon.

Ok I’m one win away from being two times nats champ. I have to concentrate on game 2.

Game 2

I started with baltoy (my first bad start of the day)
He opens with a ralts and puts my baltoy to sleep. He progresses his armies of gardy and gallade. I sacrifice basics while building 2 gallade. He had a 6-1 lead in prizes. I was worried it would go down to game 3. However, my gallade turned the table on him. I manage to pull it off to 1-1. I also had an undamaged fully powered gallade against his undamaged gardevoir that was fully powered. He had a benched minun and cresselia. I retreated my gallade and sent out my gardevoir with one DRE. I attach cyclone he sends out cresselia (thinking it has higher hp than minun forgetting weakness) I plox (50 + 20) FTW.
2-0

Wohoo! I’m going to world to see Ben S, Geoff S, Thomas (Big Bite FTW),Turtwig pwnage dude, Andrew (lucksac) C and Aaron (finally qualified for worlds) C. Plox turned out to be good deck choice after all.4-2 Furret gave more consistency. Most juniors don’t play cessi so pachi wasn’t too useful.

Props

Team R for deck help
Me for being 2-time Nats champion^_^
Dad
Bro for playtesting (barely)
Sentret (grope FTW)
Wei Jin
Malik
Domz

Slops

Fabian for talking big on the gym before nats
Bro for not winning despite playing the best version of PLOX (IMHO with cessie/jirachi ex and call nrg)
Empoleon for not making an appearance at Nats (over hyped)
MD release and legal for Nats just 9 days before Nats

See you at worlds!!^_^

I did good the 1st year with LBS (2006)-1st seed for most of the 1st day, ending up 2nd seed after 8 rounds swiss. (oh where are you LBS). Got donked by the 31st seed with Donk-A-Dos the folowing day. LOL. Hope my luck improves this year.

gj Sean. Hope to see you at Worlds and you better beat Andrew :p

And to Daniel, you better break the curse in the Grinders and beat Aaron xD

Back