Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2007-10-13 Meganium - MT 013/123

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokePop

Administrator
Staff member
displayimage.php

Hmm...Meganium d may be an excellent card of the format right now, but this Meganium is far from 'wrong' or 'awful'.

Pros:

130 HP is decent for a S2, and while its weakness to Fire puts it in harms way against many decks (Infernape, Magmortar), it is only +30 w/o Lake Boundry, so not terrible. Without Pluspowers/Strength Charms, or a LB, it isn't OHKO-able by either Infernape or Magmortar, so that is saying something.

Its first attack...come on, you can't deny that it is good. For a single Grass energy, you do 20 damage PLUS have an excellent chance at afflicting your opponent with a crippling condition, or conditions. While this is very 'flippy' and unreliable, chances are it will totally screw with your opponent. If you play it with Skarmory ex, or better yet, Ariados MT, you also trap them into dealing with one or more of the conditions. This can give you time to set-up, or recover, two very important things.

Its second attack may be weak, but Fire Pokemon still see play. Gardevoir ex d, Latias ex d, Latias d, Infernape, Magmortar, and more all see fair amounts of play (varying by location). It is a nice Scramble move, and is definitely helpful in certain situations. However, Meganium's first attack is why you would want to play this card, so its second attack is purely back-up.

Its resistance to Water isn't as good as Meganium d's, but it is still a resistance, so yeah.

Cons:

Weakness is bad. While only +30, it is a costly one.

Retreat Cost is bad as well. There is no Fluffy Berry, Mantine, or Phoebe's Stadium to help this one, so you have to rely on Switch/Warp Point.

It is a S2, so by nature, it is slower. HOWEVER, its best attack only costs one energy, so you could potentially be annoying your opponent T1 if you go first.

Overall, this is not a bad card. It got me second at a BR, and I love it. Absolutely love it. It is very good when COMBINED with Meganium d. Just a very loveable card, in my opinion (you do have to have an affection for 'flippy-ness', though).

Modified - 7.5/10
Limited - 8/10 (IF you get the pre-evolutions, mind you)

it's a good card.

resistance to empoleon. 130 hp. first attack is really really efficient. 1 grass energy. and the rest of the attack is up to 3 flips. you're gonna get something good. and you do damage anyways.

2nd attack for scrambles or if you can load up that many energies.

and you can combo it with its delta brother.

it has a lot of potential to be a really good deck.

Meganium MT, while not as popular as its Delta counterpart, will be the only forseeable Meganium after the next format change. Has the standard 130 HP for a Stage 2, a +30 Weakness to Fire (interestingly unless Infernape uses Plus Powers and/or Strength Charm, it can't OHKO Meganium), Resistence to Water, and a workable 2 Retreat Cost. Ultra Powder is a cheap attack for one Grass Energy and can really make life a hassle for your Opponent if you're good at flipping Heads. Shame the old Ariados isn't around...Meganium's second attack, Fire Counterattack, is slightly pricey at 3 Energy for 60 damage, but if your Opponent has any Fire Pokemon in play (like Infernape), the damage then goes up to 90 for 3, which is a decent deal (and enough to OHKO Infernape). Overall it's an underappreciated card for what it can offer.

Modified - 7/10 (It's playable, but many people prefer its Delta counterpart for obvious reasons)
Limited - 9/10 (If you can get this out, Ultra Powder can really set your opponent back since it's so cheap to use for the damage it can do)
Unlimited - 1/10 (No reason to use it here, besides Fire Pokemon aren't that super-popular here I think)

I just started working with this card for about a week now. In doing so i have to agree with the above comments on the card.

You will prob stick with its 1st attack 'Ultra Powder' most of the time seeing as it does do minor damage and will most of the time get at least 1 special condition on the opponent. For one grass energy i cant say its a bad attack.

Its second attack 'Fire Counterattack' Is a little pricy for 60 damage on a stage 2 pokemon, but it has a nice little backup effect. If your opponent runs any fire then its doing a flat out 90 damage. Fire is really big in my area so Meg here is a beast lol.

Moving on to its weakness to fire. Fire is real big from what i can see right now, and same goes for water types. Sad to say Meg got stuck being weak to fire +30 but good to say gets -20 resestance to water. As of now, Meg cant be OHKO by the big fire types like ape unless Strength charms get in the picture. So I see it slipping into some decks.

Retreat cost is where it should be. Meg is Big and Fat lol, so i dont see it running like rapidash. That said, you will wanna throw in some warp points/ Switchs just in case.

I think this card is a bit under rated and has some potential. People really like running it with its Delta counterpart. So set up is at least a bit smoother. Only time will tell whether it lasts or not.

Mod 7.5/10 (I say its good enough to run, Tho it will prob stay on the bench or in hand as a answer to fire pokemon.

Limited 9/10 (Its 1st attack was a beast in the pre-release i went to. If you get the line up, run it)

Unlimited 1/10 (I say this because i dont see fire big here and its 1st attack really wont help win the game. Distract at most.)

I like the other one better.
_Might_ work as a tech in a Meganium d deck.

With plenty of fire in the field, decent attacks (c'mon, it CAN do 90 dmg), decent HP, it can be OK.

6/10

This card is interesting because you flip 3 coins, but can't flip them at the same time. Usually, people roll 3 dice at the same time for these kind of attacks, but this is not possible on Meganium MT.

Other than that, there's not much to get excited about. I wonder how Meganium possible ever could help you win. I wonder how it even could draw one prize card.

3/10

This is a realy good card, and isn't any where near bad. It has a killer first attack, great spead with bayleaf, a good delta version, and resistance to a popular type.

Modified - 7.5/10

Meganium (MT)

I love Meganium! My second favorite pokemon. It's a nice-looking card, though Meganium ex (UF) looks the best. Its attacks are interesting: the first attack can give up to 3 special conditions, but is unpredictable, the second is great in grass decks for countering fire (like knocking out Infernape!:thumb: ) Probably won't be the center of a deck though.

Not a good tech in a megs delta deck. It has a low damage output, and even with the special conditions, people can just retreat/warp out of them, and it ends up being a total waste. Not a good card in the current format.

4/10

This card is amazing. Until you have faced it, you have no idea of it's potential. While not a card to base a deck around, it isn't a bad tech in a deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back