2007-11-25 Raticate - SW 061/132

Discussion in 'Card of the Day' started by PokePop, Nov 25, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Be careful what you do with those Thanksgiving leftovers.
    You don't want any rats coming around!

[​IMG]

2. Jason

Jason New Member

Nice usage of jokes, Pop.

I say that Raticate goes well with Darkrai and Weavile for massive damage addition of darkness

3. master of puppets

master of puppets New Member

ok turn 2 card.

6/10

4. BoDragon

BoDragon Member

Raticate is a useful supporting Pokémon in Darkness-type decks. Its Sneaky Attack works well with any Darkness Energy (i.e. Multi Energy, basic Darkness Energy) attached to it dealing 20 damage plus 20 more damage. Its Gnaw attack can be good if you get heads dealing 10 damage plus 60 damage, but can be inconsistent.

Modified: 6/10
    Limited: 8/10
    Fun: 6/10

5. speeder

speeder New Member

the2 problems are it is weak to fighting and rattata has only 30 hp and raticate is from sw

6. Jason

Jason New Member

plus rattata is purely one hundred percent donkable by mario which id not a deck lol

7. SPARTA

SPARTA New Member

10/10
    If Rattata is such a big problem, then don't play Raticate with him =/.

8. speeder

speeder New Member

then you can't play raticate. btw the rating
    2.5/10 for modified
    7/10 for limited
    .5/10 for unlimited

9. (TYranitarFReak)

(TYranitarFReak) New Member

It will certainly be a awesome card if u are just casual player.

:colorless for 70 does sounds delicious, but that's not consistence enough.

3/10

10. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Raticate can be somewhat useful, but overall is weighed down by his bad 70 HP (poor for a Stage 1) and Weakness to Fighting (a common type). For the pluses, both of his attacks only cost 1 Colorless Energy and he has free Retreat. Gnaw Off deals 10 damage initially, but if you flip Heads, you deal an additional 60 damage, which is quite nice. Sneaky Attack is underpowered at 20 damage, especially if you don't attack a Darkness Energy to Raticate to increase it to 40, which is still mediocre.

Modified - 2/10 (No real reason to use it, doesn't fit in Dark decks since there are better options for attackers. Can try to be a T2 deck by itself, but is horribly inconsistent since you have to rely on flipping Heads to deal your max damage of 70 and low HP means he's easily KOed)
    Limited - 8/10 (Playable here, makes a very cheap attacker that is splashable into any deck. Here, it has a better risk/reward ratio)
    Unlimited - 1/10 (No point in using it imo)

11. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

This poor guy relies a lot on luck. This poor guy only has 70 HP. This poor guy has a bad basic Pokemon. This poor guy is weak to fighting. This lucky little rat has a free retreat cost! This poor guy is not a good card in the modified format.3.36/10

12. ensignmerlin

ensignmerlin New Member

Some of the cards of recent DP sets look very much like the old favorites of the Base era. Yet another attempt to bring the original blastoise, another charizard with a high cost high power attack, and now a low cost raticate with speedy attacks. Unfortunately most of these are from a lost era and though are similar to their earlier counterparts, they just can't keep up with the times...

45/100, Because I still love the card anyway.

13. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

this card is neat if you can flip heads.

4/10

14. stalkerex

stalkerex New Member

Well i myself am told i have alot of luck, and it has really shown itself when i ran eggs, 30 damage per heads for each basic energy on both active pokemon mmm,

Yea, anyway... My friend has ran this deck because raticate is his nickname. Well It is up to chance if you do 70 or not for 1 energy, but if you can get heads, ouch.

Also my friend used the 2nd attack to assure damage. He stopped running this in Mod. But for fun at the league hes running it with his dark crobats.

Now its not consistent enough and i know not everyone has UBER LUCK so i must pull down its score.

Mod. 6.5/10 (Like i said, luck is needed and is inconsistent)

Limited. 9/10 (Yea, this paid off in the area i judged)

15. sixquack

sixquack New Member

Can you easily make him dark?

16. B_B_C

B_B_C New Member

3/10 because fighting pokes like gallade and lucario are good.

17. lolganium

lolganium New Member

yeah, weavile. but then you gotta run powers... meh.

18. Dunsparce Fan 206

Dunsparce Fan 206 New Member

I personally really like this card. Great in early game (not against Mario) with a pretty easy 40-50 for only one energy. The weakness in the current format is about as bad as it gets but at least he has a zero retreat cost. The low hp means you shouldn't use it late game when the heavy hitters are out. I want to give this guy an 8 since I like it so much, but that's too high. I guess I'll go with

6.5/10

19. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

Free retreat basic ftw however even with the 30HP.

20. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

I like this new Raticate. Its weakness is so not happy right now, but it is a card that is more about making the opponent fear it than actually getting "heads". The Rattata being a Free Retreater really does help: its just nice to choose your "real Active" after you draw instead of immediately after something is KO'd.

No, this is not a card for every deck. But for a few decks, the little fella is a nice bit of early, flippy fun. I know that its gonna be tails, and roughly half the time. Oh well. So is Speed Stadium, yet after seeing me use it time and again, they realized that the law of averages can work with you as well as against. Who cares if one game I go 0 for 5 tries when another game I get 13 heads in a row? Plus I don't have to worry about most opponent's using Gnaw right back at me. XD

I do wish it had a better second attack: both attacks feel very "early opener", and like they are building for something else. Wouldn't a Raticate LV X be hilarious?

So yeah, just the prospect of what it can do early game, and the fear it puts into the opponent (even late game, its annoying to trade a Stage 2 with three Energy for a Stage 1 with one), I say it earns a

1/10 for Unlimited

7/10 for Modified

and of course a 9/10 for Limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.