Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Collectible Card

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMeches

"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=35720]
2011-03-18 Kingdra LA 007
[/gal]​

Aww I hate this card so much.

Expert belt + second attack to discard x2 energy is so broken ! its like 80dmg and a snipe !

Weakness is soo much better than x2 and the reatreat cost is fine.

8/10

Today's COTD is Kingdra from the Legends Awakened expansion. It has an OK HP of 130 for a Stage 2, a terrifying weakness, no resistance, and OK retreat cost. Its first attack, Aqua Stream, doesn't cost anything and lets you shuffle :water: energy into your deck from your discard, and do 10 damage for each :water: energy shuffled in this way. Its second attack, Dragon Stream, costs a small :water: energy. It does a great 40 damage, but if you discard 2 cards from your hand, it increases to 60 and does a 20 snipe! GREAT synergy with the first attack!

Modified: 8/10- It's great, just watch out for Luxray.
Limited: 6/10- Hard to get a Stage 2 out, but you've won the game if you get this out.

3rd!!! (editing in progress)

Kingdra, has 130 hp, pretty good for a stage 2, has one retreat, lightning weaknessand no resistance. it's 1st attack aqua stream does 10 times the water energy in your discard pile for 0 energy! pretty good,huh Then it's second attack does 40 plus for 1 energy! dragon pump can do 60 damage and 20 to the bench if you discard to cards (preferably energy to power up it's first attack).
This is a good donk deck, and was quite successful when it was popular.

modifed: 7/10 luxray can be dangerous

Too bad Luxchomp is such a big deck right now. This card would definitely still see a lot of play if it wasn't.

9/10 Pre Platinum

7/10 Now

I really am a huge fan of Kingdra, a couple times being able to beat LuxChomp, but you really need to swarm. 1 energy with discarding 2 cards being 60 (80 with belt) and 20 to the bench is really good, it's like a Rampardos but even better. Retreat is great, no resistance, and a terrible weakness.

Overall: 8.5/10

I remember Steven Silvestro playing kingdra at a virginia regional tournament last year. He didn't do very well. I guess once you master raybees you forget how to make other decks playable. Shame because this is a truly wonderful card. I mean for water types this is as good as it gets. What pikachu is to Super Smash Brothers is what kindra LA is pokemon TGC. This card is so broken that playing it will bring you seven years bad luck which can only be reversed buy burying it. The HP is equal to the HP of Jesus Christ, probably the most famous card game player in the Bible. The attacks act of a resurrection stone where you achieve immortality by never giving your opponent the chance to deck you out. Dragon pump is that of a dragons heartstring embedded is poisonous yew, sending a steam of terror, fear, and respect to your opponent while you dish out respectable damage, snipe their pathetic bench of worhtless monsters. Not only does dragon pump ensure torment to your oppoent, but it also makes things better when you lay down gyrados. That's right, gyrados with a kingdra tech. Once you stand up to create superiorty you hand yout 12 year old opponent a handkerchief. They wipe their eyes and look into what they can imagine is a lion trapped in human body. You roar making the walls of the comic book shop collapse and leave with your cape drawn out so that everyone can say, "There goes Xerces, Lord of the sea dragons"

If some of you are thinking, "It's just a card" then maybe, just maybe, Gods are just Gods

Last edited:
You don't see it much any more, but this card is where all the trouble started.

60 + 20 for ONE Energy and a downside that doesn't even have to be a downside? That's mental.

Since we now have Gengar, Machamp, and SP to hate for being overpowered, this card gets off lightly.

But it was ridiculously good.

9/10

great card. need in kingdra which by the way went 4-2 at VA states today. I loved playing kingdra, this guy was used for me to combat fire techs(fire chicken FB). luxray is a BIG problem. in its time of pre-platinum or whatnot it was boss. great synergy. take 3 pokemon out with 2nd attack. (2 for the base 60 and 1 for adding the 20 snipe). then get them back in with is first attack. also has great snergy with felicity's drawings

Yesterday's CotD was Kingdra from LA, another oldie we reviewed 3 years ago (dang)...my how things have changed; time hasn't been that kind to this guy. For reference, here's the original review here: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83356&highlight=kingdra

Kingdra is one neat card that's definitely been getting some wins at BRs (4 1st places last I checked). Stat-wise, Kingdra is very solid; 130 HP is just right for a Stage 2, +30 Weakness to Lightning (an uncommonly played type), no Resistance, and 1 Energy for a Retreat Cost. Aqua Stream is a neat late-game attack; for no energy, you can do 10x the number of Water Energies in you discard (then you have to shuffle them back into the deck, making it a nice one-shot deal late game). Dragon Pump of course is where he shines; for 1 Water Energy, you deal a basic 40 damage, plus 20 more and 20 to an opponent's benched Pokemon of your choice by discarding 2 cards from your hand. This lets you either get rid of useless cards or Water Energy to thin your hand for Claydol next turn.

Modified - 9/10 (Very solid card, should see lots of play this season with its cheap attacks and great HP)
Limited - 10/10 (Bring out one of these bad boys somehow and you have a very nice, cheap attack to work with)
Unlimited - 3/10 (I can see this working in some Water decks)

But yeah...this guy's gone from mini-king of the format to just another forgotten Pokemon deck for the most part, despite new releases of Kingdra variants (a new reg and Prime version in UL) since then. It's still an amazingly efficient Pokemon in terms of Energy usage, it's just that terrible Weakness :)lightning:) that really makes him undesirable nowdays (aka, blame LuxChomp)...

Modified - 6/5/10 (It's still a great card and deck when played right, just that weakness to the more popular decks make it hard to justify)
Limited - 9/10 (Yeah I'm changing this too, mainly because Stage 2s suck to get out. Still godly if you can manage it though with its super cheap attacks)
Unlimited - 3/10 (Same reason as before)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back