Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-07-13 PLF Rock Guard 108

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=54770]2013-07-13 PLF Rock Guard 108[/gal]​

Best card in the game 10/10.

No, really, 60 damage is a lot. Most big attacks hit for 90 to 120, so even on a fresh 180 HP Pokemon, they're in legitimate risk going into your turn within K.O. range. On a smaller Pokemon, let's say Absol (100 HP), Rock Guard leaves it with 40 HP. Now all you need is Raiden Knuckle + 1 Deoxys EX. The more you try it, the more you see Rock Guard hits some magic numbers.

Also as a bonus, a lot of players don't even use Tool Scrapper anymore.

Well i wouldnt go that far lunarwolf. A lot people do use tool scraper at least at my pokemon league. But yes this is a great card especially for this togekiss switch deck im going to be making.....8.5/10

This is a fairly good card, basically a fancy rocky helmet, but compared to the other currently available ACE SPECS I personally wouldn't use it.

Besides the Pokemon-specific cards, there is
Rock Guard, Life Dew, Computer Search, Gold Potion, Scramble Switch, and Dowsing Machine.

And tool scrapper is pretty common in a lot of decks... I can't consider putting this card in a deck when Scramble Switch or Computer Search is available, so

6/10

It's still an OK card.

8/10

This is a card I overlooked when I first read the spoilers for it. It seemed powerful, but not worth an ace spec slot, especially since a simple tool scrapper could ruin your plans (not something you want from an ACE spec). But in practice, this thing is a beast. Every time I play against a deck using this, it gives me problems. I can OHKO the thing it's attached to, but that's still 60 damage from a trainer card. It can add up to some magical numbers or better yet, knock you out at the end of your turn.

If you really want to cause your opponent trouble, put this in an item lock deck. They will be unable to tool scrapper or catcher around it and will have no choice but to attack into it. It's not for every deck, but there are a lot of decks that can make good use of this. IMO, the better of the two ace specs from this set.

This would be a fantastic normal trainer, but it's not worth your Ace Spec option when you have Scramble Switch and Computer Search at your disposal. 6/10

6 damage counters on an attacking Pokemon is really good, even 2 with Rocky Helmet can cause it's share of damage. It has an unwritten defensive effect as well, in that your opponent may simply pass their turn to avoid the 6 damage if the situation calls for it, There are ways around this card, but what it does is undeniably good. The problem lies in the fact it is your ace-spec, so many decks will have better options. Options like CPU search or Dowsing Machine that are guaranteed to work. With nearly every deck running a Tool Scrapper, and certainly a good amount of Catchers, the 6 damage counters won't usually factor into the game. I say this card is unplayable because it plugs up your ace-spec spot, not because it can't be useful at times. If Rock Guard so happens to be the only Ace-Spec you have, I would most likely suggest running it, but I believe it to be the worst non Pokemon specific Ace-Spec in the game right now.

Playability: (No / Somewhat / Yes)

:setsLM:pinecone:setsLM:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back