2nd at Michigan States Report

Discussion in 'State/Province/Territory Championships' started by Ignatious, Mar 11, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Ignatious

Ignatious New Member

The night before the tournament I had to leave school early right after I finished my OGT (Ohio Graduation Test), right around 10:00 AM. I say my good-byes to all the friends I wouldn't be hanging out with over the weekend, and texted those I didn't see. When I left the school with my mother, I was attacked by a blizzard. The snow was insane, my mother warned me about the snow, and said we had to leave early so that the snow wouldn't slow us down too much. We hit the road imediatly, without stopping home for my cell phone charger X(.

When my mother and I arrived at the hotel, we started testing, and testing, and testing. We tried as many match ups as we could, and I teched my deck enough so that I was comfortable with both the mirror match, and the Magmortar match up. My final list resulted in:

3 Ralts SW
    1 Ralts DF
    2 Kirlia SW
    3 Gardevoir SW
    2 Gallade SW
    1 Gardevoir LX
    4 Sentret SW
    3 Furret SW
    1 Baltoy GE
    1 Claydol GE
    1 Duskull (auto evo one)
    1 Dusclops CG
    1 Dusknoir DP
    1 Pachirisu GE

4 Rare Candy
    2 Night Maintenance
    1 Warp Point
    1 Lake Boundary
    3 Battle Fronteir
    1 Strength Charm
    4 Celio's Network
    2 Team Galactic's Wager
    2 Roseanne's Research
    1 Holon Mentor

5 Psychic
    2 Fighting
    4 Double Rainbow
    3 Scramble

(I just did the list at the top of my head so if I'm a few cards short, then it's because I forgot.. also I'm not counting the list to make sure, one of you will probably do that for me, lol).

The morning of the event, my mother and I was one of the first to arrive, along with Scott Faust, a very formidable player. We had some converstation while I ate breakfast, and eventually a few groups of my friends arrive. I loan out some cards, and try to finished as many last minute decks as I can (my mother doing much more of this than I did). I eventually just hang out with Jeff D, Dustin Z, Spencer D, Keaton, and a few others until pairings are posted.

Round 1- *forgot name*
    G&G vs Magmortar/Claydol/Typhlosion
    My set up was bad, while my opponent started with a Magmar, which was perfect because nothing scares me more than an early Magmortar when I have no set up. I sacrifice pokes lieft and right until I manage to KO his only powered up Mag with my Gallade with a Scramble. I eventually brought up the Psy Lock and started kicking butt to rack up the missed prized, and eventually won the game. What made me upset, was that I had tested against Magmortar/Delcatty, and decided to tech in Battle Fronteir for that, however I saw that most Magmortars were being used with Claydol now! Stupid me and being behind on the times, seriously.
    1-0

Round 2 - Mike
    G&G vs Magmortar/Claydol/Blaze
    Another bad set up for me vs Magmar. My origional fear was The early game Magmortar like last round, but his set up was just as bad as mine, and evenutally he retreated for a Pachi and CCF. This suited me perfectly, he pretty much fell into my trap at that point in time. He had -2 on the energy placement, and he benched up, allowing my Dusknoir tech to own. When I played my benched Duskull, he stared at the card in wonder, as if I was dumb for putting such a useless card in my deck. The card saved me, however, as I managed to Scramble a Gallade, to KO his active LX, and Dark Palm his benched Magmortar. From that point on he attacked with Blazikens, and I pretty much deemed after that game, that attacking with Blaze was completely ineffective against my deck.
    2-0

Round 3 - Ying
    G&G vs Magmortar/Delcatty/Typhlo
    YES!!! Battle Fronteir saves the day... Oh wait, I hand, again, was so bad that I didn't draw into any! Hooray! I started with Pachi, and figured I could do okay If I topdecked an energy, which I didn't do.. for several turns. He, meanwhile, was completely set up. It was almost like he was afraid to attack me, maybe because of Gallade + Scramble? Doesn't matter because I didn't have it. I didn't have anything to work with. I eventually pulled out gallade and did my normal recovery tactics (Psychic Cut + Dark Palm followed by Psychic Lock) and eventually turned the tables. At one point, it was My Gardy LX vs his Mag LX. He discarded 2 Fire for 100 on My gardy, and the burn flip would decide the game. If tails, he would KO me, and I would inevitably lose. If heads, I would survive lone enough to do 50 more damage with Psylock, and have an extra turn to attach energy, which would be enough to win the game. The dice rolled a six, and the game was mine,
    3-0

Lunch was fun, my mother, Jeff, Dustin, Spencer and I all sat together for some kicks and giggles. They all ate the most disgusting hot dogs I have ever seen in my life. I just stuck to Mountain Dew and some Nuttu Bars =).

Round 4 - *forgot name*
    G&G vs anti Magmortar (Empoleon + Palkia)
    He got a slow start that rivaled with my own, however, G&G's recovery, as I've learned having 3 bad hands in a row, yet I still won them all, so I had some confidence. I pulled a Gallade and attached a -you guessed it- scramble. KOed his only poke worth some HP. After that Psychic Cut, pierced through just about all he had.
    4-0

Round 5 - Dackory Cox (sp?)
    G&G vs Hurricane (Delcatty+Magneton)
    Another bad start. Five in a row, this has never happened to me, I've never had so many bad hands in one sitting. This game was infuriating, but I kept my cool, and remembered that it was.. just a game. I had nothing, he had everything, I really don't want to talk about it, lol.
    4-1

Round 6 - Carl Marco
    Mirror match.
    I had a T2 Gardy with Psylock, however, after his Keen Eye, it was obvious that is I had gone Agro with Psy Lock, he would have Candied into a scramble and OHKOed me. I Leveled up and Teleported back for a Furret and started setting up. He set up too, but my deck was definantly better than his, and it was appearent that my skill was supirior as well, however... Skill and deck build have no relevance in this game, appeaently, lol. I was ahead, one prize left vs his two prizes left. He could never Telepass for basics, and every time he got one, I would KO it, so at this goin all he has is a helpless Gardevoir vs my complete set up. He takes a look at his hand, goes "oh wait" plays a Gardy LX and a DRE. Bring down, he has no bench. Good bye Claydol. I desperatly search my deck for a Ralts, play a Psychic energy, and try for Confuse Ray, afterall, I could not OHKO it, and next turn Bring Down would kill anything I had out. My Confuse Ray failed, and he Bringed Down for the win.
    4-2

Ridiculous record, but concidering I got 0 Sentret starts, I suppose it was decent. I knew I would make the cut however, my resistance was god-like, and as I excpected, I was the first 4-2. I already had my deck in order, so I gave it to a judge and went back to hanging out with friends. My mother went to buy be some BK, which I would eat after my Top 8 match vs... Scott Faust. The match I had been waiting for, I figured I could do amazingly with all of my limitations, BF + Dusknoir, assuming I got Sentret start.

Top 8 - Scott Faust
    G&G vs Magmortar/Delcatty/Typhlosion
    Game 1
    He got a terrible start, while I started with Baltoy, and drew two cards T1, retreated and Keen Eyed on turn two. Turn three set up a gardy, and turn four I was about to go offensive and he scooped. Wasn't very climactic.
    Game 2
    Sentret Start. PWNZORZ!! I got off turn two Keen Eye and set up very quickly. He started with Pachi, and made sure not to bench up, he played Delcatty but when I played Battle Fronteir he eventually sacrificed it to my Gallade. I made sure to ALWAYS have a Battle Fronteir in play, I can't afford him drawing cards, that just doesn't sit right in the match up. I KOed his early assult with a Gallade, and followed up with Psychic Lock. As usual. I made sure to double check nearly every move I made, as one wrong move would end me off. He came back with a deadly Magmortar LX, but after a Sonic Blade and a few Psy Locks, The threat was gone, and I had won the match. Whoo! It wasa good game.
    5-2

I was very relieved to defeat the one player I was actually worried about facing, I was glad that I got it over with. Next up: Jeff Duncan. I had been studying his exact deck list throughout the day, so that I could be prepared for any of the Mag/Blaze varient I ran into. Little did I know I'd be facing him in a final match. Needless to say, knowing his list would definantly help my odds, but he knew my exact list as well (who didn't? lol).

Top 4 - Jeff Duncan
    G&G vs Magmortar/Claydol/Blaze
    Game 1
    He benched 2 Torchics and a Magmar with his Pachi. He definantly forgot about Dusknoir, so he couldn't bench down his Baltoy. No Claydol = lose, so the advantage was definently mine from turn 1. I, however, got another Sentret start, did I mention how much I loved having those? Well I set up quickly, and throughout the game, he had about 3-5 cards in his hand, without Claydol. He relied on top decks, and you can never beat a top teir deck that way. This game was mine.
    Game 2
    I had another good start, as did he. He made sure to Bench a Baltoy this time around, lol. I attacked quickly with Psy Lock, and he responded with a Firestarter Blaze, doing 10 to my bench. Sucks, if he hadn't of done that, my plan was to Bring Down his Claydol, as everything was evolved on both of our feilds. That didn't work, but Psy Lock alone was enough to dampen his draw capabilities. He spread out so much damage, he got two prizes form bench hitting with Magmortar, which made it impossible for me to win. I lost. X(
    Game 3
    We had only a few minutes left for this one.. Sorry Jeff, but Magmortar just can't start off strong enough to beat G&G in that time, no matter what list your using (obvious exagerration of course). Good games, Jeff, it's good to see that you still got it.
    6-2

My next game was against Dustin Z, another good friend of mine, whose deck I knew well. His was more teched for the mirror though, having multiple Lake Boundaries, PlusPower, and Strength Charm. Even so, my deck rarely loses when I get the right hand. I had confidence.

Top 2 - Dustin Zimmerman
    Mirror match.
    Game 1
    Wow. Just wow. My set up was god like. By turn three, I was Wagering and Psy Locking him everyturn. There was nothing he could do... I was ahead by four prizes, until he Scramble/Galladed my Gardy. After that, I had no answers. I didn't have enough prizes to flip... Scramble won him the game, as it does every single game in this format.
    Game 2
    Pretty much the same as before, but opposite. He had a strong start. I pay three Scramble. I won.
    Game 3
    I can almost recite every move made in this game:
    He drew and ended his turn.
    I drew, Rare Candy into Furret, attatched an energy, and Keen Eyed.
    He Candies into Gardy and attaches a DRE to it.
    I Warp Point forcing up his Ralts, play Mentor for 2 Ralts and a Duskull. Candied into Gardy Telepassed Celio for Dusclops, attached a DRE to Gardy. Keen Eye.
    He Wagers, wins the Wager. Uses Warp Point, Levels up, Brings Down my Ralts, time is called. GG nooblet Austin X(.
    6-3

6-3 record was just.. ugly. My rating shot down 6 points, which I find ridiculous and dumb. Oh well, I won some stuff I'm probably going to sell and learned a lot about my deck and the metagame. I had loads of fun with my friends, so it was still worth the trip.

Props:
    Cheap Motels, if not for you, I would never have made it to the tournament through the storm.
    G&G, same s last time, I'm glad I can use my favorite poke in competetive play (Gallade).
    Beating Scott =X.
    Dustin for going 9-0 with the bdif.
    Jeff & Spence because they are alive and it's great.

Slops:
    Negative points while getting second place.
    Horrid luck: no Sentret start in swiss.
    Snow.

2. secretsof2113

secretsof2113 Moderator Trader Feedback Mod

I had the same record as you, but seeing that I played a bunch of N00bs, I had no chance of making top cut with one of my opponents going 0-6 and another going 1-5. I hate that rating system sometimes!

3. Umbreon777

Umbreon777 New Member

AWESOME games Austin. I'm sure the judges were just as baffled as we were by them. Great hanging out with you and your mom too. Hope to see you at GL Regionals. =D

I swear... for 6 turns in the 2nd game it was: Me - keen eye, You - wager. Rince, and repeat. X(

Congrats on being 2.21 points ahead of me too. :lol:

4. evil psyduck

evil psyduck Moderator Trader Feedback Mod

GJ and your right someone counted your list.:biggrin: You have 60 cards listed.

5. Heatherdu

Heatherdu New Member

GJ Austin! Second is still awesome especially with awful starts. I usually get all those bad starts at tourneys too.

Glad that you and your Mom made it there and back safe and sound.

6. billbilski

billbilski New Member

Good job Austin. Unfortunately you ruined my rematch with Dustin in the Finals. I have a strange feeling he would have enjoyed beating me much more than you. LOL

7. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

Playing out of bad hands just shows how great of a player you are. Concrats

8. DL24

DL24 New Member

Another job well done!! Keep it up Austin!

9. Curry

Curry New Member

This isn't funny, nice try