Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

3rd. place Windy City deck report

dld4a

Feature Writer
I'll start by saying thank you to Eric, the Windy City store and Crew (sorry man I heard your name yesterday, but have forgotten it), for a well run and organized tourney. Great job.

I work nights and had a long night on Friday so it was 3:30 A.M. Saturday when I got home and 4:30 A.M. when I made it to bed. I had asked my wife to wake me before she left for the day, she did,... at 7:00A.M.. Still being groggy I decided to set my alarm for 9:00 A.M., which would leave me plenty of time to make the 1 hour 15 minute drive to the store. YEA RIGHT! The next time I opened my eyes and looked at the clock... 10:56... ARRGH!!!

I'll plead the 5th amendment on the details about how I made it to the store, but I parked around the corner at 11:48. 52 min. HMMM

FUNNIEST THING OF THE DAY

When Jimmy asked James to ask Brad "Do you work for the city?". Still makes me chuckle.

TOURNEY REPORT

At the Wisconsin C.C.'s I ran an Aggaron EX which didn't place very high either day, but I made definite improvements from the 1st. to the 2nd. and came a heart beat away from going 4 and 1 on the 2nd., so I was really debating what deck to run. My choises were my Aggaron, my son's Ampheros EX/Magnaton, or a Gardy. I decided that Gardy would give me the best shot at taking the medal, but while I was filling out my deck list I noticed that there were at least 3 other Gardys being run. It seemed that in a Gardy on Gardy the 1st. one to get up wins, I've never played a Gardy deck before I went with Aggaron.

DECK LIST

Pokemon (20)

3 Aron
3 Lairon
2 Aggaron EX

2 Wailmer
2 Wailord

2 Sentret
2 Furrett

2 Dunsparce

1 Meditite (Amphy & Magnaton killed me in La Cross)

1 Jynx

Trainers (23)

3 Birch
3 P.O.R.
3 P.E.T.M.
3 Power Charge
4 Potion
1 Moo Moo Milk
2 Ancient Ruins
2 Switch
1 Warp Point
1 Town Volunteers

Energy (17)

4 Metal
4 Rainbow
4 Boost
5 Water

1st. round vs. (I'm selling my deck and going into the Army) Brad

I've battled his Kabutops before and won, but he said he had tweaked his deck and was ready for me. It was a good close match, but I got an Aggaron with 4 metal, 1 water, and no damage. I think it was just too much to over come.

1-0-0

2nd. round vs. Cory

Cory runs a Blazikin/Rayquaza that he does really well with. I had Battled him before and won before, but its always tricky because although I have Blaze's weakness Ray is resistant to water and Aggy is weak to fire. I managed to squeaked out another win.

2-0-0

3rd. round vs. Vince (Meg.45)

I was nervous about this match because I've read his stuff on line and I know he knows what he's doing. I had heard that he was running the 12 fossil thing, which helped me relax because I figured if I can get to Aggaron I should stand a Pretty good chance. I wasn't sure what he backed it up with though going into the match. He told me his 1st. opponent got 7 mulligans, his 2nd. got 5,... I get... 0. He ran 4 actual basics (Wailmer) and drew one on the 1st. turn. I started bad and his 30 + asleep just picked me off.

2-1-0

4th. round vs. Thomas

This was a 2nd. turn win for me. He mulliganed once and then started with a Torchic. I started with a Wailmer and had a Wailord, & a Boost in my hand. He went 1st. played a P.O.R. on his 1st, and 2nd. turns but didn't get another basic. He did get a Combuskin but my Wailord's top attack ccc for 50 & 20 to himself K.O.'d Cumbuskin for the game.

3-1-0

5th. round vs. Ryan (Bullados)

Ryan ran a Gardy. I had not yet battled a Gardy with this deck, not once in two and a half tourney's at this point, I had not even play tested this deck against a Gardy, so I really didn't know how this would play out. It turned out in my favor. I K.O.'d a Gardy EX with my Jynx early (I think this caught him by surprise), and later flipped 2 heads with my Lairon to K.O. a Gardy and it was pretty much over.

4-1-0

6th. round vs. Jimmy

This was it. Jimmy was 4-0-1 and had beat Vince, my only loss, so this was for all the marbles.
I didn't start the best, but it wasn't the worst way to start. I think I had 3 basics (no Dunsparce) a couple of energy, a stadium, and a Birch. He went first played a warp point to get a Mewtwo EX active, played a TV Reporter (discarded an energy), and absorbed.
I played all my basics, dropped an energy, and I think attacked for 10. I like to save my Birch for the beginning of the next turn incase my opponent plays Desert Shaman. I was hoping my next card would be an evolution so I could empty my hand and Birch. It was, I did, no Furrett. The game was basically over at this point because like Jimmy said "It doesn't matter what deck it is turn two Mewtwo is just devastating"
The first game was over so quick we had time to play for fun. This game was much different. I started with a Dunsparce, got on a roll, and although we traded a few prizes I ended up with the win. Too bad this one didn't count.

Final 4-2-0

Congratulations Jimmy-Well built deck and well played

BEST CARDS I GOT IN MY PRIZES
Rayquaza
Salamence(the better one)
Magnaton
A few reverse holo's I didn't have

P.S. I got a Charzard in the draft tourney later

Dave II

Last edited:
I'm still ticked bout that Gardy battle, you'll see it in my deck report later tonite or tomorrow. bah...

I am glad you got to see Wailord EXs coming out party!

Sorry you had such a bad start on our game....just felt for you sitting there.

Then again, I had the same thing against Jimmy, so the kharma came around.

Meganium45

Back