Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

550 players at MS Valley Regionals....and we weren't there until midnight!!! THANKS!!

meganium45

OK, This is going to be a long one. I am just done recovering from what was one of the coolest Pokemon Events I have ever been a part of. And yes, I feel like I was just a part of it, with everyone coming together and making it work.

Needless to say, we set up the room for 540 players thinking, how cool would it be to hit 400 or so (as we had never gone above 350)....oh if we only knew what was coming.

Denise - you know I love you, and you put in so much hard work to make sure that we were ready to go, had everything ready, and did not miss a trick. I am going to make sure they invite you to the PTO dinner this year - this year, last year, this never would have happened without you.

I would be foolish if I did not thank up front the two people in this game who frankly keep me going, smiling, and allow me to be me, while they make sure everything goes smoothly. If you have been to an event in St. Louis, then you have seen these two working at making these events fun for all players. Doug Wagner and Nick Lewis. They came up with the Pre-Registration that took entering 500+ players from a 2+ hour job to a 45 minute job. (We had 375 Pre-Registered players as of Friday Night). They provided the ENTIRE computer hive, and coordinating computers, printers, that made everything go. They take pride in making the events fun for all, and frankly they are among the best faces of the game for St. Louis, handling leagues from Eureka, Missouri, to Yeti, to St. Charles and St. Peters... If Pokemon does not get them on Nationals/Worlds Staff, it will be frankly a shame. Then, to be able to judge all day (with Doug serving as HJ of Juniors) and smiling all night, both on Friday, Saturday and Sunday...

Clay, great as always. We have done these together for what, 9 years? So happy for you with all the great news for you this year. I love the new gang, and it just seems to be perfect for your. Cheers sir! Oh, and thanks for the great job this weekend. The wheels at one point had a bunch of us running along side the car to keep them on, but we kept them on!!!

Rick, how nice is it to just be able to let you run with your job, and know that EVERYTHING is going to go perfectly. You had a highly competitive, emotional division (Seniors) and you and your staff handled it with the grace and professionalism that would make Nationals staffs jealous.

Tino Vi....my friend from a southern land. Thanks for stepping up and simply being superior. Your demeanor was perfect, and your attitude was even better.

Mike Copper...if there was ever an event that you showed yourself to be simply a superior judge on the top of his game, THIS WAS IT. and you, my friend NAILED IT!!! There were some early round things that needed to be handled, and handled properly, and you just, WOW, great job!!!

There are many individuals in this game with egos that say "I've been Head Judge, if I can't be head judge, I won't be on staff". Ray Simmons, I am just proud to know you in and out of the game. You stepped in, judged all weekend, and when we had an issue where Clay had to step away, you stepped right in to the Head Judge role, and we didn't miss a beat. I can't thank you enough for the level way you handle things, and keep fighting through.

I am going to continue this on my next post....I have not forogotten about any of you, just afraid the post will be too long!!!

Vince - honored to have been a member of this team.

---------- Post added 01/21/2013 at 01:29 PM ----------

Now, I jump to the "team" that stepped up this year, and took control when everything else was going awry, and this could have been overlooked - Judy Weber and Dianne in side events. Judy, my friend, who for years was "just" doing Cookie Walk (and had to sing this year as the music didn't work), she took over and RAN the art contest, name the caption contest, and cookie walk with a GRACE and a CHARM that made everyone smile and enjoy. Judy, you have no idea how much I appreciate you and your dedication to this great game of ours.

Now, balance that with one of my newest friends, Diane Johnson, who came in, jumped on board at Judy's side, and helped run all of the events, and kept everyone smiling. When I didn't sneak back to keep running Poke-Dodgeball, she jumped over, and had those kids smiling and laughing and enjoying their time!!! Thanks!!!

Now to the hive...the hive...thanks to the whole hive (Sherrie, Ryan, Klouse and the rest plus Nick and Doug) for keeping the event going...wow wow wow. Nicole, thanks so much. You helped solve what could have been a HUGE problem with Masters, and all of you just kept the event going!!! SO GREAT.

Judging Staff....from Canada, to Tennessee, to Texas, to Nebraska, to Utah, all the way around, you all handled yourselves in such a manner, that I am going to watch the boards, but I don't think there was a serious controversial call all day that was not handled in a professional manner. I will separately thank you all, but my goodness, I could not be more proud. I would work with any of you again at any time. I will poke and thank the Nebraska Crew and Rachel for taking over side events on Sunday. Once we got the Energy (OMG - Draft without Energy??? WTH?? What a Noob PTO) - the events went off without a hitch.

Video Game Staff - WAY TO GO - got it going, kept it going, kept the wheels on!!! Great job on registration...(once we got the outlets figured out, once again, what a Rookie, where did the power strips we brought go? Really? Well, let's dash out and get some new ones...MARK MARK thanks!!).

Now we have the runners, who also share a lot of the attitude of the event...Barb, Barb's mom (so bad I call you that), Christine's daughter (once again, name forget facepalm), and all the other runners, you bring the smiles, and helpful attitude to all the players at all of the time. Once again, we got comments on how gracious and happy our staff was. That is a reflection on all of you.

More to follow (I haven't even talked about Christine and others yet)

Last edited:
Now, let's get to the root of the problem, and the solution to all problems...Christine Noah.

Bizarre to come to a Pokemon Event having no real responsibilities on day 1, except help wherever needed. This translates, for Christine Noah to HELP EVERYWHERE!!! With the size of the group we had, and the continual coordination that needed to be done, I could not have pulled this off without your help. Then, on day 2, to coordinate, and run the entire event, and keep everything moving forward with a great big smile on your face, you simply ROCKED! I can not wait to work with you again!!!

Then, we get the new blood, Chris from The Pokemon Company International. If this is the caliber of people that Pokemon is hiring, we are in great hands for years to come. Chris was a smiling face among both the staff and the crowd. Loved to talk Pokemon with anyone who would talk to him, and even was toting around his own Pokemon Deck - Shift Lift - to challenge any comers. Chris, you were a welcome addition to the event, and I hope we showed you a good time while you were in the STL. Thanks for coming to the staff dinner as well!!!

If you have not been to the St. Charles Convention Center, it is a great venue. The staff there really busted themselves on Saturday Morning to make sure we could accomodate the additional players, and I did not have a significant security or hotel complaint all weekend. The hotel was really gracious, and frankly a great deal for suite rooms attached to the Convention Center.

Finally, the players. This felt like old home week seeing friends from all around our great country, new and old. I am going to single a few people out, but I am going to miss so many. Richard Lucas, the Lynch Family (Mob), the Richards Family, the Tenneys who have been gone for years, and now back, people we have known in this game for the last decade, and still make the game what it is today. Then there are all of my newer friends from around the country, who we can always greet with a hug and a high five. You all make me want to keep doing this year after year. Whether we be joking in the aisles, hitting around the Pokeball Dodgeballs, or just smiling as we pass, the players are what made this event great. Carlos Doug and Nick, your pairings wizardry is amazing. Thank you.

I apologize if I have failed to thank any one or more of my helpers on this list. You all are truly appreciated, and I would be proud to work with you again at any event. One of the greatest compliments to any staff is to have people come up to me and say "It looked like you guys had a lot of fun. This was a great event, can I join the staff next year??" Given the crowd, we may have wished that they joined the staff this year, but we are looking forward to next year being bigger, better and just a great time and event.

And to my family, who put up with me taking time away from life to get this all together, and to run this. Zane, you are a super trooper - and top 16 junior at age 7!!! Alex, Top 8 buddy in one of the wickedest fields in Seniors history. Andrew - the return of the KING after years of absence. This win over 360 people puts you right in the limelight again! WAY TO GO!! See, Warcraft and DC Deckbuilding REALLY make Pokemon Champions!!!

Thanks, to all, for making me stay in love with this game for over 10 years at this point.

WOOOT and CHAW!!!

Vince - Meganium45

Vince - Thanks for dealing with me and adding me back into the event last round, and for the play mat :)

Nice seeing you again

-- Tina/ homeofmew

Actually, the biggest thanks of all go to............VINCE!!! This was an amazing event - and the funnest part of all was watching you with the kids. Playing pokeball dodge ball, the cookie walk, the captions, the art contest - or the best was watching you give stuff away to the kids. You are amazing and a big reason Pokemon is thriving in St Louis. The event was spectacular - and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for letting me be part of it.

I loved working with all the staff members - and meeting new people. You all were amazing and I hope to work with you all again. To all the players - thank you for making Pokemon the best place to be. You make everything worth it.

So......... when can we do this again?

Back