Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Dictionary Lesson Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Joe

Hi. I'm new here and I'm unsure if I am in the correct place to ask this question, but I would like to know what does "Cleaner" mean that everyone says on the boards here. Is it some kind of secret code or something? I'm very curious. Plus I don't want to use the lingo incorrectly.

Thank you :)
Average Joe

I may not have exact correct terminology, but it's basically a Pokemon to clean up the field, i.e.: easy KO's. An example could be Mewtwo ex, but there are many others.

Wow, haven't heard his name in a long time!
He was a big proponent of a Cleaner deck on the original Gym. He used all commons and uncommons in his deck as a challenge.

Where'd you hear his name?

Well I played once in New York this guy with a deck of old Pokemon cards and he used the term "cleaner" for one his Pokemon he used to finish me off. I asked where he got the term from and he said it has something to do with some myth player named The Impossible Man. That was it and I never saw him again.

But now it seems he does exist.

Tell me more please. :)

Thank you
Average Joe

The Impossible Man has retired from the game to persue a writing career. When building a deck, he did not have many rares so he built one that was tournament worthy with many uncommon and common cards. THe main attacker, or Cleaner, was Base Arcanine. Lickitung and Oddish from Team Rocket were in there to pester the opponent and stall while Arcanine was being built. He ran the standard Trainers (Oak, ER) and i believe the only rare in his deck was Lass or 2.

ahhh, good ole days :)... Cleaner will always will be a beast. The Mod'z gave you what you needed to know. :)... wow, i also haven't seen that name in a while.

Does anyone know how well his writing has become?

~TruK

No Rares in his deck? :confused: And he played them in tournaments? Was the deck that good? I don't mean to be disrespectful to the guy but there are a lot of good rare cards in the game and he used none of them? No disrespect at all I just find it truely impossible. That must have been some deck he built to be tournament worthy. Did you ever meet him and how come I don't see the Cleaner listed among the best decks in some websites?

Sorry for being nosy I just want to learn about Pokemon Decks from the past.

I have to go now I appreciate you guys answering my questions. I thank you very much. :)

Good bye

Thank You
Average Joe

Last edited:
I believe he did have a few Lass in a version of his deck. Here's a link HERE! that shows his last version of the deck. It contains no rares. I believe i have one of his other versions somewhere around the house.

My site has a few of HIS articles he wrote before he departed...

He had a very SPECIFIC conditions for a pokemon to be considered a Cleaner: Stage 1 pokemon doing a minimum of 50 hp of damage I think...

And I have a few Arcanines signed by him

*waiting for his writing career to TAKE off =)

Last edited:
Yeah,T.I.M. was a very cool guy having met him several times at the STS`.

A dictionary?That would be a cool idea.I`ll set one up(unless someone already has one somewhere).

`Sensei

Last edited:
I have never heard of this person, but it seems like now I know so much from reading his final article. I feel as if inspiration has struck once again. I feel the old "Pokeblood" rushing back into my veins. No wonder why the person was called The Impossible Man. He made what seemed Impossible possible. It is something I have always wished to do, and I now have the inspiration...

::record scratch::

Okay, sorry I went off topic (or was I? ::Twilight Zone music kicks in:: )

Hey there ya go!Good sleuth work OS.If ya want,you can start a new topic on the boards here and update it(if needs be) or Planteon can if he is still around.

`Sensei

Average Joe said:
No Rares in his deck? :confused: And he played them in tournaments? Was the deck that good? I don't mean to be disrespectful to the guy but there are a lot of good rare cards in the game and he used none of them? No disrespect at all I just find it truely impossible. That must have been some deck he built to be tournament worthy. Did you ever meet him and how come I don't see the Cleaner listed among the best decks in some websites?
Yes the deck was that good. Most people never even tried the cleaner - it just isn't one of those decks that people say "wow" about. After you've been cleaned at a tourney it was more like "oh-no!"
I've built several cleaner tye decks even with the newer cards. the term Cleaner is mob-speak for the guy that comes in after a job to finish off the survivors and dispose of teh bodies. The front pokemon in these decks used status effects to keep the otehr guy busy putting out fires while the nasty old Arky (or two) were getting prepped to start doing serious damage. The classic front-man for the Cleaner was Koffing.

Yeah, The Impossible Man was a great strategist. I used the Cleaner alot myself when it was viable. I used Ninetales over RK9 pre Gym sets due to the presence of Alakazam stall, and enjoyed Lure. It was a bit more Haymakered of a version, but ran on the same exact principles. The deck did work, although not at the same level as the top decks at the time, but was good enough to win tournements as an underdog. It was pretty much the best example before Sic Powers to use status effects to win tournements. The fact that it used no rares is also less important as alot of the rares were not needed. Lass is pretty much the best rare for the deck. I think the deck lists and articles say enough. He was an amazing player who had the respect of pretty much EVERYONE.

Sensei said:
Hey there ya go!Good sleuth work OS.If ya want,you can start a new topic on the boards here and update it(if needs be) or Planteon can if he is still around.

`Sensei

I'm still "aorund", but that just about it. I play the game and keep updated through these boards, but have stopped buying cards after Skyridge. I feel I've invested enough and have a hughe number of cards that myself and my kids can play with for a long time. I've also stocked up on cheap boosters so we can play draft with the older cards...
I was a bit reluctant to keep buying cards when the 151 was increased to 251 and only bught e-cards as it ment that all Pokémon became available in more than one variant. The "Ex-series" with a hugh number of new Pokémon feels a bit like a rip-off to me, 251 were more than enough, also the inflated HP's of the Ex cards (response to yugioh?) isn't apealing to me...

Anyway, any person who wants to use and update the "dictionary" are free to do so, just put "Planteon" in a line somewhere! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back