Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Great Encounters version of swift Empoleon

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son plays an Empoleon deck and we were trying to incorporate some of the newer GE cards into his “Empoleon core.” I thought that given Palkia Level X’s Pokepower, one could put into play the opponent’s weakest Pokemon while switching back my own best Pokemon because of the free retreat afforded by Mantine. Suicune can help you get back any Pokemon in the discard pile in late game, Sableye is a good tech against many of the Pokemon in this metagame with Disable (for example, Blissey), and relying mainly on basic Water energies allows you to use Crystal Beach to combat your opponents Special Energies. Comments and suggestions please.

Pokemon 22

4 Piplup (DP1)
3 Prinplup (DP1)
3 Empoleon (DP1)
1 Empoleon LV. X (DP1)
3 Mantyke (DP1)
2 Mantine (DP2)
2 Palkia (DP4)
2 Palkia Lv.X (DP4)
1 Sableye (CG)
1 Suicune (DP3)

Trainers 22

1 Crystal Beach
3 Celio’s Network
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warppoint
4 Roseanne’s Research
2 Premier Ball
3 Strength Charm
1 Scott
4 Castaway

Energy 16

14 Water
2 Scramble

rare candys...stevens...switch strength charm for leftovers or amulet coins...maybe take sableeye out for something else..maybe pachis..or something along those lines

4 Piplup (DP1)
4 Prinplup (DP1)
3 Empoleon (DP1)
1 Empoleon LV. X (DP1)
3 Mantyke (DP1)
1 Mantine (DP2)
1 Palkia (DP4)
1 Palkia Lv.X (DP4)
1 Suicune (DP3)

Try this for your pokemon line. Primplup is a very good card and empoleon lv.x isn't that good I would just take it out and have 4-3-3 empoleon. You don't need that big of a palkia line. I like to use mantyke as a starter and sableye just does not go with empoleon.

PERSONALLY,
I think you should play 4-3-4 or 4-4-4 Empoleon line w/ 2-4 Lapras as starters.
That's a lot speedier in my opinion. AND Lapras acts as the replacement for Corsola, as it searches out the Celios you use to search your Pokemon, a water and a Cessation!

Lapras start,kill the Mantine line.

4-3-3-1 Empoleon/LvX
2-2 Palkia/LV.X
2 Suicune SW
3 Lapras GE

or I would even cut the Palkia line since warps works fine.DRE make Emopleon T2 Ice Blade nice so you have to add those and kill C.Beach

Lapras start,kill the Mantine line.

4-3-3-1 Empoleon/LvX
2-2 Palkia/LV.X
2 Suicune SW
3 Lapras GE

or I would even cut the Palkia line since warps works fine.DRE make Emopleon T2 Ice Blade nice so you have to add those and kill C.Beach

DRE ain't good in Empoleon
1 as tech can work, but 2 or more is a no-no.
You don't want to reduce the already fairly low damage output.

personally i like palkia.....my palkia water deck has done well..i like using lapras as a starter...ive beaten GG decks w/ my palkia deck...i kept screwing up there defences w/ palkia Xs pokepower...damaging every single bench...then just repeated the process...i was actually thinking of putting in the empoleon line...so id like to see were this goes...put in candys, leftovers maybe..or amulet..maybe stevens...but maybe replace mantine w/ lapras

As always, I appreciate the forum member's suggestions. A few reply comments:

1. I really like Mantine for the free retreat so I don't have to rely on the tough odds of pulling a warp point at the right moment (especially since you might have one but not want to use it right away and then someone will pull out a TGW and the Warp Point will be back in your deck!).

2. My style of supporters is selective-I prefer Celio's and Roseanne's to Steven's or Felicity's. Not wrong or right, just my preference.

3. With Prinplup being so good and only running one stage 2 line, I really don't think I needed Rare Candies.

4. Question for the forum members--don't you think Empoleon Lv X's Pokepower is worth it as is its extra HP (plus I can get the level X back from the discard pile now with Premier Ball!)?

5. Lapras looks very cool (essentially a Pokemon Castaway), but wouldn't that be too many Pokemon?

6. A lot of people are still playing Blissey in my area, so I am still debating the Sableye Disable Tech.

Keep the excellent advice coming.

Thanks.
jconti2818

stick w/ the x its worth it i agree w/ u...try lapras its a good starter ...prinplup i agree again is good so maybe dont try it...but wat if ur prinplups arent coming to u...or in ur prizes...and all ur stuck w/ is piplup and a big empoleon and an x in ur hand..u will wish u had just one candy...thank u for taking the palkia idea!! that makes us palkia bros lol

( if anyone could help me w/ my deck forums plz comment...thanx)

Last edited:
4-4-3-1 Empoleon X

2-2 palkia

3 lapras

1 holon castform

4 celio
3 Team Mars
2 TGW
1 Premire Ball
3 plus power
2 strength charm
3 roseanne's research
3 proffesor oaks vist
3 fast ball
1 night manitence or TSD

12 water
4 scramble

Should be 60.

Excellent deck, you have the right idea with the Mantine/Palkia combo. Back when I first heard of Palkia I thought of running it with Mantine and Octillery, so you could pull up anything with a special energy and discard it, or pull up something useless and snipe the bench. Empoleon is much more sturdy and has higher damage potential but will be more difficult to set up.

My son was just building a similar deck since he opened a Palkia Lv X at a GE prerelease so e came here to improve our idea. We like what you have mentioned. I think that you need some Windstorm to handle Cessation Crystals. Maybe replace the Warp Points since Palkia Lv. X's power is similar? And my son likes Speed Stadium as he can grab it with Palkia and then use it to speed up his set-up. Have you tried that?

Appreciate the suggestion but I always worry that Speed Satdium can potentially help your opponent as much as it can help you. I agree that Warp Point is redundant but I like it for early game in case I don't yet have Palkia Lv. X out. I do agree about the Windstorm and Rare Candies but I haven't finalized the Trainer engine yet until I field test the deck. I may end up needing them. ( although since Gardevoir/Gallade is so big in New Jersey, almost no one is playing Cessation Crystal anymore).

Thanks.
jconti2818

Won't the opponent keep on bringing palkia lvx when you do the power ? Or are you planing on always having 2 mantines in play ?

60/10 stil; isnt bad since ure doing 10 for 3-4 turns anyway with Prinpulp and T2 Ice Blade still isnt bad.

Also try

4-4-4 Empoleon and trainers,it works SUPER fast since u dont need to setup anything.Cessations/Potions/Buffers Er2s and it is consitant.

Reply to Kiwill:

You only need 1 Mantine in play although you're correct if he brings Palxia Lv. X out and I really want to retreat him, it will cost me one energy since he has a origninal retreat cost of 3 reduced to1 by Mantine's Pokebody. Once again, maybe I should also consider a couple Warpooints?

jconti2818

Well I guess your opponent will eventually notice that and will constantly bring palkia lvx.
So either you charge your palkia and make him your main attacker or play 3-3 Mantine and more mentor/roseanne's

<3 It.

I dislike the lack of holon mentor. It's a great combo with Mantyke/ine. If you start with Mantyke, you can pull Palika LvX from the deck, and turn two mentor for a Palkia, Mantine and another Mantyke. Free retreat Mantine to the new Mantyke and get whatever. Or something like that anyway leaves you with a couple of turn two Palika LvX/Prinplup and a Mantine. You can start using Palkia's power from then on. Because Mantyke needs no energy and gets free retreat, you can start attaching energy to the bench whenever and do a cheeky gust of wind 50 with Palkia LvX and the mantine's giant wave.

All possible with mentor but not so much with roseanne's. At least consider replacing one roseanne's with a mentor to combo with castaway or lapras.

Because I see your testing GE Empoleon just like me, I'll give you my list.

Pokemon:
4 Empoleon
3 Prinplup
4 Piplup
3 Floatzel GE
3 Buizel GE
1 Absol ex

Trainers:
3 Cessation
2 Castaway
2 TGW
3 POV