Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A host for league in Sarasota FL?

Fawkes0126

Sarasota Leagues

Does anyone here own or know someone that owns a store that they would be willing to host the Pokemon League at in the Sarasota/ Bradenton area? There are no stores close to me that host it!!!!! I'M GETTING DESPERATE HERE, PEOPLE!!!!

Since this isn't TCG News, I'm moving it to the Tournaments and Organized Play forum. Please be sure your topic fits the forum you post it to...

'mom

There are a couple of us here in Sarasota who would love to run some kind of a leauge, even if it's just getting the BAM leauge running again.

Fawkes0126 said:
I just need a place where I can play the game and trade without extreme distances or postage, you know?
Hey guys! Sarasota/Bradenton is my old stomping grounds. There used to be a game store on Mantee Avenue way back when. An old girlfriend of mine married a Scottish guy and he started it when Magic the Gathering first came out. As far as I know it is still there. There also used to be several comic shops on Tamiami Trail between New College and Bradenton. Keep in mind this has been a few years. Oh yeah - there was another gaming store in the shopping center across from the Bradenton Mall where the Circuit City is.
Look in the yellow pages for gaming and comics.

PhoenixSong said:
ScythKing said:
Hey guys! Sarasota/Bradenton is my old stomping grounds.
Thanks for the heads up ... I'm not raly familiar with Bradenton, as I'm actually from Englewood and don't go north past Fruitville too often. QUOTE]
Englewood didn't have that much except a couple of good BBS's (before your time fer sure). Port Charlotte may be a better bet for you.

There's nothing in Port Charlotte, and I'm willing to travel north - not a problem at all. There seem to be more interested players in the Sarasota area ...

HEY! This is awesome, I thought I was the only pokemon player in sarasota. I used to go the old BAM league, remember me? I'm allison, pleased to meet you. one of the only girls to go there, gyarados T-shirt, black hair... anyways, I believe that the BAM league may not be so receptive to our league(as ms judith kind of got very mad at me, then i leave), perhaps toys R us would be a better site for our league anyways- The people that go there would be more likely to play pokemon and join than the customers at BAM(who are old people mostly, and their 8 year old grandchildren), which was probably the biggest factor in the league's death- very few new players. most of them had been playing a year+ at the time the league closed down. I had been playing since the first league session- in the old books a million building. i want to help make the attendence as high as it was when our league first started, and it seems possible, with all the success Renee and the other guy(sorry i forgot his name) had with their Oraldno and fort lauterdale leagues. My AIM screename is "e l s a k o o" please contact me so we can organize a meet somewhere and I can get an idea of how many sarasota pokemon peoples are here. Thanks!!

Last edited:
TOYS R US might not be bad. The only reason I suggested BAM! is becasue they already have a Yu-Gi-OH leauge ... and I think we could lure a lot of those players over to Pokemon. Also, I think at TRU, we're probably going to get a much younger group, which I'm not sure is really what we want. From the scouting I've done, I think there's a lot of +11 interest in the area, and especially in the teen area. The problem is, if we gear our leauge towrds little kids, we're going to lose a lot of those players. Right now, our leauge is pretty old as it is - with Bobby being the youngest at 11. Of course, we do want to encourage those younger kids to come inand play, for sure, but I don't think we want to be so overrunn with them that it becomes hard to run a leauge or competitive tournments.

I think what you're forgetting here, though...is that League IS for the younger players, according to POP; the more 'competitive' players will have the "Ladder". Please don't discourage the younger players, as they will _become_ your more competitive players of the future...

JMHO,
'mom

SD PokéMom said:
I think what you're forgetting here, though...is that League IS for the younger players, according to POP; the more 'competitive' players will have the "Ladder". Please don't discourage the younger players, as they will _become_ your more competitive players of the future...

It hasn't even been decided if we're going to run a formal "leauge" right now.

Frankly, I don't know if we have the support to maintain a leauge full of 8 year olds at this point - but that's beside the point.

I don't think I ever alluded to the idea that we're going to discourage younger players from coming - it's not about that at all - it's about figuring out what "format" so to speak works best with the area and the resources we have. That is something that this game, and OP in all gaming, lacks - the ability to be flexible but stil structured.

I also wanted to add that this is not about trying to exclude younger kids from participating - it's just a question of what kind of an enviornment we want to encourage.

I used to go the BAM yugioh league, and there were piles of little kids there, and a few older ones(teenagers). After about a month of leaguing, however most of the teens have left. The reason, they tell me, is that there are just so many little kids(3/4 of them were),
annoying as the truth is, large numbers of 12 and under kids may drive out the competetive players in search of something more 'mature'. Perhaps a good sized comic book shop might be better than TRU, if we want an older competitive audience, we may have to go there. I am not advocating excluding younger players, though. Just trying not to inadvertantly exclude the older players as well. what do you think?

Back