A Pichu question

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Shdwchu, Nov 17, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Shdwchu

Shdwchu New Member

Me and My friend was playing and he had his pichu evolve using it's pokemon power and then used a rare candy to evolve onto Raichu EX. Is this legal?

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Yep. That's legal.
    Don't have time to search for the ruling, but I'll post it shortly.

3. Chrisbo

Chrisbo Administrator

Here's the quote for ya:
    == RARE CANDY (EX:Sandstorm)
    Q. Can I use Rare Candy to evolve Pichu into Raichu EX?
    A. No, Rare Candy states if you have a card that "Evolves From" your Pokemon. Pikachu does not say that it "Evolves From" Pichu, so Rare Candy will not work in this situation. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team Meeting)

Enjoy,
    - CHRISBO

4. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

If a Pichu evolved into a Pikachu, you wouldn't be able to use Rare Candy to evolve into Raichu EX because Pikachu is no longer a "basic" pokemon, right? (See A Pichu Question for what I think is an error)

5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Rats!

6. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Chris,I think you misread his question.He has aready evolved his Pichu into Pikachu via Pichu`s Poke-Power and then trying to Rare Candy Pikachu into Raichu EX,not trying to rare candy from Pichu to Raichu EX as the ruling you quoted would suggest.

Mr.Grass may be correct in saying that you cannot do this since Pikachu is now considered an "evolved" Pokemon but something nags at the back of my mind thinking it was ruled that it was an "evolved" Basic and it may still count as a Basic in this instance.

This is definately a good subject to discuss and also ask to get a ruling for.

`Sensei