Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Adult League ?

masterscyther

My wife and I were discussing options on doing something different and she hit upon the possibility of an adult league. I am willing to do it and have a store that will let us run the league.

So my question is: Are there enough 18+ year old players in the Portland OR area that would be interested in a more intense league.

Please let me know if you are interested in my pursuing this option. Any ideas for the league would be welcome also!

Last edited:
Adult league? More intense? Listen, I know you are trying to weed out the trouble makers and encourage some adult discussion, but this is a complete 180 on what this game is about: Family. Plenty of members here have reiterated that there is a vast difference between a person's age and that individual's maturity level. This includes competition. I don't know if you've ever had the chance to attend a large event outside of Oregon, but there are countless players who have the experience and skills of most "adults". Limiting the age group into this League will be problematic and tough to verify. I doubt that Pokemon USA (POP) will grant you any sort of league kits or the rights to hold tournaments if you refuse to allow younger participants in your League/Tournaments.

Please enlighten me as to how this "adult" league would be any different from a normal one.
-Phil

GymLeaderPhil said:
Listen, I know you are trying to weed out the trouble makers and encourage some adult discussion...

I've seen more troublemakers in the adult crowed than I have ever seen with the kids.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing a 45 and up catgeory ;)

Pokemon can be a great family experience as it can be played by most members of the family. I've seen five-year-olds that can give you a good game. While I admit an attraction to the idea of an adult league there is no way I would ever join one as I enjoy playing the game alongside my son.

I wonder how many over 18 players who don't have kids would be interested?

Last edited:
Adult league is fine with me, so long as it doesn't come at the expense of dimishing any open leagues. For example, if the adults stop going to the open league because they now attend the adult league, that's not good.

This is akin to the professor program only being offered to older players. I see no problem with an adult league, especially since some parents may not want their kids to get "soundly defeated" week after week by adult players. In fact, I often get parents of 10-under players complaining when their kid faces an adult in tournament play. Plus, adults can play late at night after putting the kiddies to bed.

I crave tournaments like the professor championship. It's more fun to play adults.

Back