Arcanine (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Roar
- Morning Sun
- Crunch

It should be pretty self-explanatory. Zoroark is the usual lead with Counter/Sash and can usually score a KO, although Raikou leads don't let it do this, so a switch to Shaymin/Registeel is needed.

Registeel is for rocks and status, as well as absorbing hits (like a DD Kingdra locked into Outrage). Earthquake is the move of choice as it hits opposing Registeel harder, and Raikou for usually around 30-50%.

Hitmontop threatens Umbreon/Snorlax, both of which are more common this far up the ladder. It's a spinner, and can attack with HJK quite well.

Shaymin is something I'm rather proud of, as it's my own original set, moves, EVs, etc. It has enough bulk to take a lot of hits and enough Sp A investment to hurt as well. Psychic is used over Earth Power for Heracross/Mienshou, although Earth Power might prove to be more effective.

Zapdos is the standard Sub/Roost set. With status spread around quite a bit, sub stalling isn't a bad idea, and it can attack well with the pseudo bolt/beam combo. You'd be surprised with how many times I've won late game because I got a sub up before I KOd the last few Pokemon.

Arcanine, again, is my own creation. Bulky enough to take hits and recover HP and still fast enough to KO with a Flare Blitz or Crunch. It doesn't have the best power, especially compared to offensive Arcanine, but it does its job well. Intimidate helps a lot when switching in, and it's a pretty good check to Darmanitan. Roar (again) is for phasing and works well when there's a Snorlax around, as the -1 attack means they can't do much and Roar on their rest means they can never attack. :tongue:

Problems I've had are Umbreon and if it gets the SD up and doesn't miss a Stone Edge, SD Verizion. Other than that, it usually can take on pretty much anything. Seriously, go put this into the Marriland teambuilder and look at the resistances.

And if you're curious, I'm 25th on the PO UU ladder with this team at the moment, and my win to loss ratio is about 5:1.

Last edited:
I wish I understood UU better. Maybe it's just that this team is clearly good, though.

Maybe swap Blastoise with a defensive Hitmontop? It might seem redundant alongside Arcanine, but it can carry Intimidate for superior physical bulk, carries much-needed fighting STAB, completely destroys Umbreon, and probably handles Virizion better. If I'm not mistaken, it can also carry Toxic, and you already have a phazer in Arcanine so the loss of Roar isn't such a big deal. It even has access to Mach Punch and Sucker Punch, for priority, which your team DOESN'T have, and is just so awesome in any tier.

Of course, if it were me, I'd then change Arcanine into something else (probably a more classic offensive variant), and Hitmontop has some other weaknesses associated with it that Blastoise doesn't have. (For example, you might want to be wary of Crobat.)

Do you have trouble with Zapdos?

Actually, Umbreon is less of a problem, since I found I can PP stall it with Zapdos quite well...

Hitmontop doesn't deal well with Azumaril, though. The common thing I've noticed is Azumaril to be out and I switch into Blastoise to take the hit, since it can take Ice Punch they'd use for Shaymin and Aqua Jet/Waterfall. Not that I'm saying I won't try it. :tongue:

Bulky Arcanine works better for this team, IMO. Since most of what I'm doing here is switching to a Pokemon that resists a hit and doing damage along the way, not really trying to all-out sweep. I'd love Spikes, but Registeel is too invaluable.

Whether I switch to Hitmontop or not, Crobat won't be a problem, Zapdos is a wonderful check to it, and Registeel is, too, provided they don't run taunt/sub.

Zapdos can give me a little trouble, but I can usually deal with it, since it tends to have to come out earlier game. Arcanine does about 50% with Flare Blitz to most Zapdos, Shaymin can take a Heat Wave and HP Ice, Zapdos can usually take a hit and hit back, and Registeel takes about 70% from LO Heat Wave and can paralyze. If it came in when I was worn down it might be more of a problem.

Any particular set you'd suggest for the Hitmontop?

Thanks~

I can see Azumarill posing a threat if you drop Blastoise... you could probably work around it with Registeel, but nothing wants to take a Waterfall except MAYBE Shaymin... My playstyle is really centered around aggressive plays and offensive pressure, so I don't mind sacrificing things to take on a specific threat as long as I know I have an offensive answer to it. I don't think this team works that way lol.

This is pretty much how I foresee (get it? foresight spinner? foresee? ...okay sorry) your Hitmontop looking:

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
252 Def 252 HP 4 SDef
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch/Stone Edge

You get the Spin and the Toxic that Blastoise had, but better bulk overall (other than the poor HP). HJK is risky as always, but doesn't lower your defenses like CC does.

I'd probably run Sucker Punch here, but an argument could be made for Stone Edge, or Mach Punch, as alternative attacking options. Sucker Punch prevents you from being walled off by Ghost-types but Toxic will really hurt any Ghost-types that would try to spinblock you anyway (assuming you can hit Mismagius before it subs, etc).

Your team is really well built, so I'm not really sure swapping anything out makes much sense (especially if you've decided Umbreon isn't a problem), but if you want to try Hitmontop this is where I'd start.

So I'm trying it out with this Hitmontop set:

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
252 Def 252 HP 4 SDef
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Hi Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch

And so far it's doing just as well. Some things hurt, like not being able to Scald the Rhyperior, but it's not bad. I'm 44th on the ladder at the moment.

Back