Amb-oleon

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by KingGengar, Aug 14, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingGengar

KingGengar New Member

I found a decent combo for Ambipom.

4 piplup
    4 prinplup
    2 empoleon
    2 empoleon lv.x
    2 aipom
    2 ambiopom
    1 umbreon*

2 great ball
    2 mentor
    4 celio's
    3 rare candy
    2 steven's
    2 bill's maintenance
    3 team galactic bet
    3 windstorm
    3 plus power
    4 ssu

10 water
    3 dre
    2 scramble

Strategy:

OPENING: If you start with Piplup, you go to the excellent Prinplup/Empoleon strategy of Snipe & Destroy. If you start with Aipom, you get a good start also. Umbreon* is your one bad start, especially vs Mario/other Fighting decks.

MIDGAME: The purpose of the combo is to get Empoleon Lv.X set up, so it can remove cards from your opponent's hand for the turn. If your opponent had 3 or less cards in hand to start, Ambipom will hit for 80 that turn. Umbreon* Poke-Power also helps with this. If your opponent manages to keep his hand higher than 3 cards, there are still three strategies to use: (1) use Commanding Tail's Energy Removal attack, (2) use one of the Empoleon line's attacks, just killing everything in sight, (3) use Charity Tail anyway, causing opponent to throw away cards time after time (would this work well with Rhyperior also?).

TRAINER STRATEGY: Windstorm included against Cessation Crystal. SSU included for Empoleon Lv.X and Umbreon* (multiple uses). Team Galactic's bet is flippy, but could bring opponent to 3 cards (maybe run 2?).

PROBLEMS: (1) I still don't have any way to use Umbreon*'s attack.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  2. thethirdckelly1

thethirdckelly1 New Member

you can't do 3 empoleon and 2 lv.X. It's only 4 total. I don't think reversal is going to be legal. definitely more galactic's. That really works well with this combo.

I dig the idea.

3. flariados

flariados New Member

you don't need 4 piplup because you can't evolve them into empoleon
    the idea is good

4. clement30

clement30 New Member

First, I would make the Great Balls into Mentors, Turn the Bills into TV Reporters, and completly ditch Umbreon*, it might help once every 7 or 8 matches. I would replace it with Jirachi Ex, how you may ask? Well, this brings me up to point 2: Pokemon Reversal isn't playable, so you just opened up 4 spots in the deck, two of which should turn into Multi's, the other 2 should be Team Galactic's Wager. Third, you may want to get rid of 1 Plus Power, and 1 ssu, and replace them with an additional 1-1 line of Ambipom. Next, you can't play 3 Empoleon and 2 Empoleon Lv.X, so drop a Lv.X, and add another Scramble. Fifth, you should get rid of at least 1 Prinplup, and add either another DRE, or another Rare Candy. Finally, I pretty much posted this deck last week, and my list is pretty good. PM me if you want to see it.

5. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

Reversal won't legal next year.
    You can only have up to 4 pokemon with Empoleon in it's name in your deck.

6. KingGengar

KingGengar New Member

Dang! I keep forgetting that Lv.X and non-Lv.X are essentially the same card. I adjusted to 2-2 instead of 3-1. Is that wise? I wanted to keep the combo viable. I also kept the Umbreon* against advice. It needs more testing, but I'm willing to part with it.

Jirachi EX? I don't see the combo.

Removed ER2 for more Team Galactic, and more energy.

Clement: sorry for stepping on your thread. I didn't even see it.

7. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Wow, running 3 fighting weak basics in your thread. Are you not afraid of Mario?

8. KingGengar

KingGengar New Member

*Everyone* should be afraid of Mario... :tongue:

But yeah, the Umbreon* is the biggest worry. Then, Aipom can be 2HKO'd by Riolu... but so can most Basics.

9. clement30

clement30 New Member

It's okay(nobody ever sees my threads anyway), and the reason I said to replace the Umbreon* with Jirachi ex because it can be used to disrupt the whole metagame next season, since the metagame will mostly consist of stage 2s and powers.

10. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Try it with Delcatty EX if you want something more elaborate; auto forcing them to a 6 card hand, -2 more due to Empoleon Lv X's Power, and then you're opponent will be short on cards if they want to ditch a further 2 to lessen Charity Tail's attack.

The only problem I've had with this is that your opponent ultimately has the option to discard those cards to prevent Charity Tail's max damage, and there's no easy way to force their hand to 1 card usually. so they have no choice. But nevertheless, still fun to pull off.

11. KingGengar

KingGengar New Member

I really like the "fun" aspect of Galactic's Wager, taking the chance for a very good disruption of hand (at the very least), giving the advantage in using Empoleon Lv.X Poke-Power, then finishing up with Ambiopom.s Charity Tail. And Commanding Tail, although flip-oriented, is ridiculous good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.