Ambush (Cacturne Style)

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Arcaninedog, Aug 13, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcaninedog

Arcaninedog New Member

I don't really like the idea of Ambush but I have been reading up on it and looking at how Marowak is going out. I have taken notice to how people are playing it with Exeggutor and I decided to build Ambush finally but this time I decided to do a little something different, and that is by playing Cacturne in it instead. I think the main reason I want to play Ambush now is because Briney is no longer in this format, and the only thing I fear is Infernape taking out Cacturne very early before it can spread damage, but I'm pretty sure I can come back with Prinplup and start doing 40 to it then do 10 to everyone else.

Decklist:

Pokemon:
    4 Piplup (DP)
    3 Prinplup (DP)
    3 Empoleon (DP)
    1 Empoleon Lv. X (DP)

3 Cacnea (PK)
    3 Cacturne (CG)

1 Absol ex (PK)

Trainers:
    2 Super Scoop Up
    3 Castaway
    3 Buffer Piece
    2 Battle Frontier
    2 Rare Candy
    3 Holon Mentor
    3 Celio's Network
    3 TV Reporter
    2 Copycat
    1 Warp Point

Energy:
    7 Water Energy
    4 Multi Energy
    4 Fighting Energy
    3 Scramble Energy

Strategy:
    Of course a lot of people heard Jimmy Ballard's Ambush, when you play my version of it the idea is to start out with either Cacnea or Piplup (Cacnea is a better start) and either hit the active with 10 or if you started with Cacnea do 10 to whoever you want, then next turn start up either Prinplup or Cacturne depending on your start. If you start with Cacturne you use Spike Storm to do 10 to the pokemon you hit last turn with Cacnea then start Triple Needling your opponent until you get damage everywhere, Buffer Peice is supposed to help keep Cacturne alive longer so it can complete it's task at spreading damage. And if you have Prinplup up there you just keep on doing 10 to everyone. After you get satisfied with how much damage everywhere and your active Cacturne is knocked out or Prinplup, stike back by either brining up another Cacturne or Prinplup, or you can just start banging your opponent with Empoleon and since they took out a pokemon, Scramble works to help start up Empoleon's attack if you had an energy shortage or if you're opponent got an extremely fast start on you. Empoleon lv. X comes later in the game and starts sniping the bench or anyone you want for 80. Absol ex is there to help spread out damage with Cursed Eyes. And Multi Energy is played to help use Absol ex's attack if you ever need to use it.

Ideas:
    I might try putting a 4-4 Cacturne chain in to help get better chances of starting with Cacnea then better ensure you get Cacturne turn 2.
    I might also try playing a windstorm or 2 but it's not a priority because I don't see it as that important to use Spike Storm but it would be nice and it might help win a game. Of course you need to ensure the element of surprise with Absol ex. If I don't play windstorm I might play at least more Warp Point to stop Cessation Crystal from being active so just for that one turn I can use Cursed Eyes.

2. Rashad

Rashad New Member

only change i see is adding double rainbow energies and also u might add in octillery from MT its a good sniper trust me

3. Arcaninedog

Arcaninedog New Member

I really don't like using Double Rainbow because the idea of the deck is 10ing your opponent to death and if you have to play a double rainbow on it, that sort of destroys the idea.

4. Farmer_J123

Farmer_J123 New Member

Play the cacnea from CG so you can Call for family your benched pokes for a faster setup...

5. Arcaninedog

Arcaninedog New Member

I play 3 Mentor for a reason, and call for family doesn't really set up the main idea, because you want to do damage somewhere so you can evolve next turn and then Spike storm that pokemon later then triple needle it so turn 2 you already have 30 damage on a single pokemon. (Feint Attack + Spike Storm + Triple Needle)

6. Rew

Rew Active Member

See, Cessation Crystal was one of the good cards in the Ambush decklist that gave it alot of it's matchups. With Cursed Stone going away, the poke-powered machups are going to be harder to play against seeing as they won't take as much damage. The lists I saw at Nationals ran 4 Empoleon, with no LV. X. Cacturne is a good idea, but since spike storm has to be active, I don't see it doing as well as a Prinplup for you. I don't think your idea is bad at all, because I had the same idea at once. It just isn't fast. The set up is very very slow. I'm thinking if you want to play Empoleon, just play it with something that helps from the bench. I'd play 4 Holon Mentor by the way. I personally do not like Buffer Piece, I think it does have a point for when you are stalling out your opponent with Prinplup though. If you do decide it isn't a good idea, I suggest Strength Charm or Crystal Shard techs. Play a 4-4 line of Cacturne for sure, maybe 2 Absol ex. Winstorm is a card you want. If you cannot use Spike Storm or Cused Eyes when you need it, it ins't useful.

7. Blassari

Blassari New Member

DRE only reduses DMG, not the effect's DMG! Am I right?

If I use DRE to hit 90 with Ape, it reduces to 80. But if you do DMG to bech,then it doesn't reduce,I think...

8. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

Cacnea CG (CFF) is the better one. I've learned it by playing both.
    Play H. Adventurer instead if TVR.
    Less Castaway (-1) and Buffer Piece (-3).
    More Ces. Crystal (+3) and Celio's (+1)
    - 2x SSU
    +1x H. Mentor
    +1x Rare Candy

Blassari:
    It reduces dmg on the bench too. All dmg you do is reduced by 10. :)

9. Blassari

Blassari New Member

But if I use Gengar DP's Shadow Dance, and it has DRE attached to it, do I put 3 or 4 DMG Counters?

10. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

4, since you PUT dmg, you do not DO dmg.

11. Arcaninedog

Arcaninedog New Member

Cess Crystal Shuts Myself down, from using both Spike Storm and Cursed Eyes I don't really feel like doing that.

12. thethirdckelly1

thethirdckelly1 New Member

its better with cess crystal. TBH though, Prinplup can do cacturnes job too, but it doesn't take up 6 extra slots in the deck. And definitely don't play the lv.X. It just takes away from consistency.

13. Arcaninedog

Arcaninedog New Member

The way I see it, it's a matter of covering weakness. Empoleon is weak to lightning while Lightning is weak to fighting which Cacturne is. And Cacturne is weak to fire which fire is weak to water which Empoleon is. They both cover Eachother's weakness'

14. clement30

clement30 New Member

I actually like the idea, but i think you should consider replacing Cacturn with Octillary, for 2 main reasons. 1) You would be able to use CC, which was a huge strength for ambush and, 2) Lightning Pokemon are almost non-existant, with Electrvire being the only exception. Fire will be much bigger, and Electrvire has almost no steady energy supply.

15. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

Octilery isn't that good. All it does is snipe for 40. It can't spread damage. The point of most empolion decks is to spread damge and then bring up something like marowak and lay down a scramble and kill everything with low HP.

Also take out the multis and put in 1 primplup and 3 cecation crystle. to use when primplump is spreding damgae or when epmpoleon is attacking the bench.

Also I think you should consider another spreader besides cactute because all you can do in 1 turn with it is lay down 4 damage when pimplup does damgae to everything.

You should use something like duotrio, wishcash, or eggs

16. Arcaninedog

Arcaninedog New Member

I use Absol as another attacker which I can't use him if I remove the Multi Energy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.